My New Heritage Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by samwheat, Feb 3, 2006.

1. samwheat

samwheat Member

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Its at Jay Wolfe's, I order it in July.

It's missing a gibson pickgurad and switchplate.

I am going to call him this afternoon for final payment.

2. samwheat

samwheat Member

It has one of the nicest tops I have ever seen in my life.

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have a 99' H157, flame top, cherry burst. Great guitar. Although I have totally rusted through all the gold plated hardware, I'm in the midst of completely upgrading all the hardware (Suhr pickups, TonePros bridge, new Grovers).

4. Hendrix95

Hendrix95 Member

Try to upload the pic somewhere. I'm sure lots of people would like seeing it. The one I bought from Jay is great. I'm sure you'll like it.

5. samwheat

samwheat Member

6. rooster

rooster Member

That's how my Goldtop was shipped. Jay's the man!rooster.

7. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Heritage guitars are sweet. I've heard they come plekked from the factory. Any truth to that?
    On Edit: Did the sensible thing and checked out their webpage. It's true. Those must be some great playing guitars.

8. Hendrix95

Hendrix95 Member

Nice guitar! I like the way the zebra pups look with that top. These guitars are such a great bargain for what you're getting and Jay's the best dealer to get them from, especially since he gets the best woods. Mine's only around 8-8.5 lbs. The Seymour Duncan pups are also really good. I got the Seth Lovers on mine. The 59's sound really similar. Let us know how it plays when you get it.

9. samwheat

samwheat Member

It arrived yesterday.

She sure plays like butter. I can't find a buzz anywhere. That plek must be some machine.

A couple others thought it's a great player and the looks to go along.

Access to upper frets is greatly improved than my '71 custom and its baseball bat.

10. fugazi

fugazi Member

Heritages are super nice.

Nice score!! :JAM :RoCkIn :BEER

11. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

Very nice! Did Jay Wolfe do a run with Brazilian boards? Because Brazilian does not come standard on Heritages. I just placed a custom order H150-CM though a local guitar shop and had to supply my own Brazilian fretboard. Heritage does not stock them.

Jay Wolfe obviously has a great selection but I would not shy away from buying from a local shop. The Heritages at the local guitar shop here are all great looking and playing guitars.

I live about an hour from Kalamazoo and dropped off the pickups and fretboard off for the guitar I ordered a few days ago. It was my third trip to Heritage and every time I have been there I am impressed by the quality of the guitars that are set to ship. They are now making absolutely top quality guitars. And they are very open to taking special order guitars as I think they only make to order anyway. Some people are put off by the slim 60's style neck they have but they can easily be ordered with a chunky neck which is what I did. I also added a bone nut. Also it is an easy matter to order them with different hardware, tuners... They are sweet, sweet guitars and an incredible value.

Congratulations on a fine guitar!

12. corgiears

corgiears Member

I've gotten a few Heritages from Jay - here's my most recent. Great guitar.

[​IMG]

13. oldguitar

oldguitar Member

That's a purty 150. I sure like mine. Also ordered from Jay, arrived a couple months back. I think Heritage's quality just keeps getting better and better. Enjoy!

14. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Congrats Sam,
    It surely is sweet lookin

15. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

Does anyone know if the neck joint uses the long tenon like the old LP's or is it a design of their own?

16. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))

i think it was Jay or Graham Z. @ Wolfe's told me it was proprietary (their own design). have had my eye on a 157 for some time...

:cool:

17. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

chunky neck? man they sure keep that on the down low.....! that was what i didn't like

18. THROBAK

Heritage only offers one tenon size and it is a short tenon. I asked when I was there last week. But I saw a neck tenon and I believe the Heritage tenon is a tighter fitting tenon than Gibson's short tenon. Gibson's short tenon has a curved shape to the bottom side that allows them to sort of fudge the neck angle buy tipping the neck on this curved underside. This means there is little of the bottom of the tenon that is glued to the body. I only got I quick glance at the Heritage neck tenon but it appeared to have a flat under side of the neck tenon. I also think the Heritage tenon me be wider than Gibson's short tenon. So the Heritage short tenon is going to have tighter fit to the body because the entire underside of the tenon will be glued to the body and therefore be better than the Gibson short tenon. I think there is just more gluing surface on the Heritage tenon.

I have not done a side by side comparison so I can't say for sure if I am correct about the comparison but next time I go to Heritage I will try to get a better look at their tenon.

19. THROBAK

Chunky neck is Heritage's description for a thicker more 50's style neck. Their standard neck tends to be thinner 60's slim taper necks but some are thicker than others. I ordered a chunky neck on my H150-CM because personally I find a thicker neck less fatiguing when playing for an extended period of time. My impression is the chunky neck will be a more rounded thicker C shaped 50's style neck but I have never played their chunky neck so I won't know for sure until I get the guitar.

20. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

Thanks for the info on the tenon. Keep us posted on that "chunky" neck.