My new Huber

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by BCR Greg, Sep 16, 2005.

1. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

First off, this guitar is NOT FOR SALE.

Nik Huber made this for me, and it just arrived. Hollow Korina body, korina neck and Indian rosewood board. Scraped binding, body and head. The fret slots are ROUTED, so there is no tang on the sides like any other unbound board. TonePros, Haussell pickups. I wanted a great feeling and sounding guitar, without the typical flame/quilt/birdseye stuff, since I want to beat the crap out of it ON STAGE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The kicker.... 5.3 Lbs.

Seriously.

I sounds HUGE, weighs NOTHING.

Life is good. Thank you, Herr Huber.

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

wow....thats very, very elegant.

3. Shane S

Shane S Member

That is really sweet Greg. Is Nik going to start offering this guitar in USA now that the Gibson vs. PRS has been overturned?

Also, I will be giving you a call next week regarding the Jrs. we have been talking about:D

4. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

That thing is killer. Looks like a rock-n-roll machine. I'd love to hear a clip if you have the capability.

Congrats.:dude

5. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

I will, somehow.

Thanks, guys.

6. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

Here's my update, posted on www.huberfanclub.com

Well, I gave it a good thrashing after we closed today, and here's what I think.

Nik is the MAN. Out of the box, this is one of the best guitars I have ever owned. Acoustically is is loud as hell. Everyone that came by today freaked when I handed it to them and they hit a chord. Other than my favorite 59 TV Junior, I have never had a guitar this alive. The stock pickups are great, the neck pup is perfect in every way for this guitar, the bridge pickup is a little nutless but Nik is getting some custom winds for me to try.

I'd prefer a bigger neck shape, but that is not a deal killer. Upper fret access is excellent.

Will I get rid of my Hamers and Robins? Nope. Different animals.

Will this thing get the paint played off it? Yup. Hooooooooooo Yeah!

I am debating changing a few cosmetic things. I may add flamed maple pup rings, amber knobs and an amber switch tip. I way not. We'll see.

Too bad these guitars cannot officially be offered in the US. It does look a little like the beleagured Henry J's favorite moneymaker, but the new BMW's look like Pontiacs to me as well.

Maybe the next one I get will be maple over mahogany and I will retire the Paul.......

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Greg,

Thanks for the disclaimer. :D

The guitar looks so elegant, so cool. Nik does fantastic work, and having met him at Summer NAMM; the man is just the coolest guy to boot.

Congrats!

8. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

Gotcha, Scott!;)

Nik's guitars, like many that wee see here, are inspirational. I did things with this one that other guitars have not moved me to do.

I encourage everyone on here to find a builder or several builders that inspire you and work with them to get YOUR ideas made. Keep these guys in business and own something that is truly YOURS.

9. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

Why is that?

10. BCR Greg

BCR Greg Member

Henry and his legal eagles have been all over anything that looks like a Paul;.

Recent develpments may have changed that. Nik says on his site, "not for USA", but I have one.

Feel free to call me for more info.