My new M13

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by furry, Dec 17, 2009.

1. furry

furry Senior Member

I picked up and M13 from a fellow TGP member, and I have to say, Line 6 did a great job with this thing.

I had previously owned both the MM4 and DL4, and sold both due to volume and tone-suck issues, but it really seems as though Line 6 worked through those issues, and the final product is quite impressive.

I guess I knew somewhat what to expect from the mod and delay models, but I'm really impressed with the reverb and dirt pedal models.

it's been said before, but the delays and looper alone are worth the price of this thing.

2. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

:agree 100% with your opinion.The M13 is the best bang for the dollar out there in a multi-effects pedal.The OD's and Distortion are actually really good sounding when dialed in right. My only wish would be, to be able to use more than 1 pedal at a time on any given row,without havin to use the scene set up.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  3. Geno_xl

Geno_xl Member

I agree, I've had mine for several months now and I'm still amazed by all the effects. I don't really have the time to play with it all. The M13 just made perfect since for me. What I needed was to clean up my mess of pedals and rack stuff and it did the trick for me. The delays and reverbs are excellent and are worth the price alone. but it's also nice to have the modulations and the harmonizer on there too. I haven't played too much with the distortions yet but I'm pretty happy with my amps overdrive.

oh the EQ's where an awesome addition as well on the last upgrade.

4. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr Member

Cant you do that with a MIDI controller?

5. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Im not sure if you can or not, but I would not want to add another midi pedal just to control that. The beauty of the m13 is its size and features.

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

M13: Game changer...IMHO

I can't quite remember life without it...I coudn't imagine now using a real analogue multi unit (non tube mind) pedal board now...what a cluster f'k that is.

Digital...so simple and easy...sounds good too.

Just my two bobs worth...

7. furry

furry Senior Member

I'm not so sure about the dirt pedal models after all. The TS and Metal zone are good, but I'm not bonding with the rest. Too raspy to my ears.

I'm hoping Line 6 will add some more recent 'boutique' dirt models in a future update. I'd love to see Zen, Direct Drive and Klon models...

8. Casadebomba

Casadebomba Member

I own or have owned the above pedals and have matched them amazing close with the M13...

When you need something convenient with good tone...you cannot beat it.

Especially in the studio...it really shines.

rr

9. furry

furry Senior Member

which model was able to get you close to the Zen and DD? The Tube Driver model has that characteristic 12ax7 low-voltage thing going on, which just sounds buzzy. And the DOD 250 model is too mushy.

10. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

play around with the tone controls. They don't always do what you'd expect them too. On some models, the bass control actually adds some high end fizz when you turn it up. On others the tone controls also do different things.

I've been able to get very workable tones out of the screamer, the tube drive, and the line 6 drive. The colordrive is pretty good too. Still working out some issues with the fuzz models though. They don't seem to cut through in a mix. I also wasn't thrilled with the buzz saw model. It's got this high end harshness that almost sounds as if you have a blown speaker. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to sound??

Anyway, my only pedal in my live rig is now the M13. I use my amp's clean channel and get all my dirt sounds and all effects from it. I use mainly the screamer and tube drive. For leads I use the line 6 drive. For some stones tunes I also use the colordrive, and for some of the heavier stuff I use the classic distortion (ratt clone). Those are all very workable and don't sound raspy at all if you set the tone knobs right, imo.

11. nodata2000

nodata2000 Member

+1,000,000

I run my rig the same way......Excellent OD/Dist sounds do exist within the M13. It's all about dialing them in using your ears...Also keep in mind what sounds not-so-good outside of the band context may sound right-on within the band mix...

12. Spudman

Spudman Member

Congratulations and welcome to the Cult OF M13. Be sure you upgrade to 2.01. It's awesome!

13. furry

furry Senior Member

yes, it had the upgrade when I bought it.

BTW, is there any way to pan effects or assign them to L or R outputs? I run a stereo rig, and this would make the M13 far more useful.

14. lanny

lanny Member

.Also keep in mind what sounds not-so-good outside of the band context may sound right-on within the band mix...

A point that most guitarists completely ignore IMHO

15. thirsty one

thirsty one Member

I bought one a couple of months ago. I just love it. I plug it up so compressors and dirt boxes are in front of my amp and everything else is in the loop of my amp. I can use my amp's OD side that way.

I haven't bought an uno to do an update. That will be my christmas gift to myself. I have held off just so I can have the updated firmware for christmas.

16. furry

furry Senior Member

yeah, I'm familiar with that theory. I agree to the extent that eq-wise, in order to get certain elements to cut through the mix or to prevent frequency conflicts, sometimes a particular sound might not be pleasing in isolation--BUT...

...the idea that most of the elements in a band mix shouldn't sound good on their own is kind of silly. I mean, how are you supposed to make gear purchase decisions? 'This guitar and amp sound like ****, but I'm pretty sure they'll sound great in the mix!' I don't think so.

Consider a symphony orchestra. The reason it sounds so great is that all the musicians--in addition to being accomplished artists--use exceptional sounding instruments. When it's time for the violin solo, the guy doesn't panic because 'this particular violin only sounds good in the mix'...

17. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Not sure what the issue is. My rig sounds great at home and great in a mix. What I do is simple. At home, I get my tone the way I like it when I'm playing alone. When I play in the band, I turn the treble and bass down and bump the mids. Problem solved. Sounds great at home, cuts through perfectly in a band mix.

18. furry

furry Senior Member

Well, I've been working with the drive models, and the key is NOT TO LET THE NAMES OF THE MODELS OR THE POSITION OF THE CONTROLS INFLUENCE YOUR TWEAKING...

Better to just pretend they are called 'Drive A', 'Drive B', etc. For example, I've always hated Rat distortion pedals. So naturally, I skipped the Rat model on the M13. Just for kicks, I tried it with the gain down and after fiddling with the knobs, I ended up with an absolutely KILLER dynamic and transparent overdrive that sounds SWEET in the 4th position on a Strat.

I'll tell ya, the longer I play with this thing, the more I think about unloading ALL my stompbox pedals.

19. creekhed1

creekhed1 Member

I've already unloaded ALL of my pedals and pedalboard.

This thing is SICK!
    and ya...turning down the drive is the key to getting good sounds out of virtually all of the od and distortions