my new Magic Amplification 5e3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jim L, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Jim L

Jim L Member

Thanks go out to Moods of Magic Amplification (you see him posting here) for building me this fantastic amp. I have no time to learn what would be needed, nevermind the time to actually do the build, so I found someone else to build a kit for me.

Moods (correct me if I'm wrong Michael) got the kit thru mojo, but had the tweed lacquered, and upgraded the tubes and speaker. it came to me with new TungSol 6v6 tubes and a Celestion Blue.

As Moods can attest, this combination puts my in the ballpark with a Clark, with a bit of a hit in the cabinet quality perhaps (although it's possible Clark uses higher quality transformers, too?). Anyway, this thing is gorgeous. Amazing tones. It's going to take me a long time to test the various input options along with jumpering channels. Wow. The sensitivity to attack is amazing. My 3 electrics all love this amp: thinline tele with Van Zandts, LP knockoff with voodoo bridge pup, and my 50s Kay hollowbody with P90s.

Just wanted to say that Moods obviously is a stickler for quality and detail and does fantastic work. His Vox- and Supro-based amps are killers, and I believe there are some clips of those amps posted here, too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Congrats. Mike's work is really top notch. Enjoy the amp!

3. go7

go7 Member

Congrats; It`s a beautiful sound.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Great looking amp but you must have one small neck on your guitar!

5. 5E3

5E3 Member

Looks fantastic. I'd like to try a Celestion Blue in my Richter. By the way, these amps also sound great with a regular Tele :D
    [​IMG]

6. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Moods is a maven for tone. His amps are delicious. I played my Magic Brit all last weekend and love that amp.

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Does Magic have a website or something?

8. Jim L

Jim L Member

No, but you can do a search for Moods (that's his username here) and send him an email.

9. Jim L

Jim L Member

Ba dum dum!

I really just need to get the kids (and my wife, and the in-laws) out of the house so I can turn this thing UP!

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

You gotta be dyin' to crank that thing!

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Really! How can you sleep at night, man?!

That's a beauty, and if it's anything like Moods' other amps, sure to be just as killer sounding!

12. Jim L

Jim L Member

Luckily, on the day it arrived, my wife and kids were out of the house, and I was "working from home". The in-laws were set to arrive a couple days later (for the summer). So I dig crank it up... tried all the inputs, played with the interactive controls, jumpered the channels. So I got a good taste, at least!