My new Morning Dew goes WHERE?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wooley, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Wooley

Wooley Member

Simple question for you guys. My board is pretty set, but I have just purchased a Morning Dew EQ (on the way this week). I don't want to futz around too much with the order trying out different positions for it (I now keep my board at my practice space and don't want to waste practice time messing with my effects), so if anyone has strong feelings about the best place to put an EQ in this chain (which I will describe), then please share it.

Wah>Phaser>Chorus>Envelope>Vibe>OD>OD>OD>Delay>Boost

Thanks guys.

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Mine sounds great anywhere except after dirt.

3. BrianB

BrianB Member

4. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Yikes! I have mine at the end of my chain right now. Should I move everything down (except my wah & TU2) & try it there. It sounds pretty good where it is but if it will do better elsewhere, maybe I should give it a go?

Main chain is, Strat, TU2, Budwah, Magicboy vibe, Timmy, COT50, Eternity & MDEQ. The chorus, phaser & delay go thru effects loop.

5. fatback

fatback Member

Mammoth-with-a-cool-new-pedal-says-WUH?

:p ;)

The key is to first find out which of your pedals likes to see the MDeq before or after them individually and then work from there. It is such a versatile pedal, with the buffer able to be defeated, that it could work about anywhere, but where exactly you place it in the chain will change exactly how it effects your total sound.

Happy experimenting
    :D

6. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

If you leave the buffer on (default, how it arrives), I have found it sounds best early in the chain. I like it before everything except wah and fuzz.

If you have an Eternity, put that RIGHT before it also (thanks GigPig!) and it makes the E sound as it should. It is not wrong anywhere, but the adjustments to the od's are milder and more natural to me if you put the MDEQ before them. You can shape the sound of your guitar more with it early, and more dramatic changes to your overall sound later in the chain.

Now, I'm getting confusing... experiment!:D

7. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Thanks John! That's good advice (I know you have lots of experience experimenting!:AOK)
    A big thank you for all your clips BTW. It was your videos of the MDEQ that got me to get mine (I'm sure Brian thanks you too :))

8. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Yeah a little confusing.....:confused:. So I put the MDEQ before the Eternity or the other way around? I asume the buffer's always on? Or only when I don't have the EQ turned on?

9. Brick

Brick Member

+1

love it.

10. erksin

erksin Member

I use mine in buffered mode after wah and CoT50, before my other dirt boxes.

The buffer may affect other how other pedals sound (wahs and fuzzes are pretty notorious for not liking buffers before them) - if you use it without the buffer, I'd think you could place it anywhere.

11. Wooley

Wooley Member

Who's got a demo of the MD? I would really like to see that.

12. Brick

Brick Member

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Put the MDEQ directly AFTER the Eternity, with the MDEQ buffer ON. There was thread recently discussing the benefits of having a buffer directly after the E to maintain its high-end qualities.

14. BrianB

BrianB Member

I'd put it before the TU2 even. The input impedance is a tad higher on the Dew so the tuner won't cut anything out that the Dew wouldn't with the Dew in front of it. But whatever sounds good is what is good. Never get too caught up in the technical side of it (like me) or it takes a lot of the fun out :NUTS

15. RobertS.

RobertS. Member

Thanks Brian, I'll try that. Great pedal BTW, I even get comments on it's "classy" look from people not to mention the tone shaping it does.:cool: