• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

My new(old) Marshall Bluesbreaker JTM45 combo..users?

sixstring531

Silver Supporting Member
Just acquired a 1992 Marshall Bluesbreaker 1962 RI JTM 45 from a fellow pager

Anyone else use this amp? This is the one with the tube rectifier (apparently better than the solidstate one?).

What pedals are you using with this amp? I can't turn it up enough - at least I don't think I will be able to, I play in church, to solely use the amps OD tones, so I was hoping users could chime in with pedals they like through it.

Do most like it w/ the channels jumped?

Fill me in gentlemen.

m3g

channels jumped with an analogman beano boost in front. Let your guitar's volume knob take it from there!

slegros

My go to amp for some time now. I love either a Proco Rat or a Mk2 Fuzz through it. Both blend nicely with the dark, rich sound of the BB. I dont jump channels. I use the hi input on channel 1.

TIMMY51

Hi everyone,new here,but I just bought one as well,should be getting it tomorrow.Hope I like it,already have a 1987 and a 1959,so I got this for something alittle bit different.

LesMarshall

I owned a Ballbreaker (pun intended) ..... LP > chs. jumpered with efx unit inbetween,used a Guv'nor,TS,compressor & eq .... truly wonderful cleans and killer lead tones .... to my ears one of the best amps out there in the last 20 yrs,a great platform for pedals ... the best compliment I ever got was a girl came up to me at break time and told me I sounded like some guy called Robin Ford,at that point I had no idea who that was and didn't hear any of his music till yrs. later ..... in the end my balls and back won out and I sold it .... but still miss it .... ENJOY YOURS!

Ben S.

I have used one for almost 20 years. I love it. Almost every pedal I have ever used with it sounds great. I agree it is a great platforms for pedals; although, I play straight in most of the time. Some people mod theirs like crazy with new transformers, new handwired boards and electolytic capacitors, I think it is a great sounding amp.

The main thing I recommend is upgrading the tubes. I have a 50's long plate Mullard for valve 1 (highly highly recommend this), long black plate Sylvania in V2 and RCA grey plates in v3&4 and a Mullard GZ34.
I have used a lot of different power tubes and right now have settled on RCA tall bottle 6L6GB's (not GC's or WGB's) and they sound great.
I liked my stock speakers (reissue greenbacks) until I plugged in my Tone Tubby alnico 1x12 as an extension speaker and realized the beauty of alnico speakers with this amp.
I will put in some Scumnico's this spring or summer. Although it sounds great with my Scumback H75 1x12 as an extension or even bypassing the greenbacks.

Enjoy, it is a great amp.

Ben S.

Both blend nicely with the dark, rich sound of the BB. I dont jump channels. I use the hi input on channel 1.
Your hi input on channel 1 is dark? How are your tone controls set, because I find that input to be very bright. In fact, most guys I know are surprised at how nice and rich the cleans are for a Marshall. Granted, it is not Fender Blackface bright, but I have to turn the bass down to 1 or 2 because it is such a bass heavy amp.
Also, the amp brightens up with alnico speakers in my opinion.

I love it; I call it my Tweed Marshall.

slegros

Your hi input on channel 1 is dark? How are your tone controls set, because I find that input to be very bright. In fact, most guys I know are surprised at how nice and rich the cleans are for a Marshall. Granted, it is not Fender Blackface bright, but I have to turn the bass down to 1 or 2 because it is such a bass heavy amp.
Also, the amp brightens up with alnico speakers in my opinion.

I love it; I call it my Tweed Marshall.
Your description is probably better than mine. As opposed to dark, 'Rich' is a better term, and I agree they are bass heavy. I usually run the bass myself at around 2. Its not blackface bright and certainly doesnt do twang like a Vibrolux. It a very nice rich clean tone.

Hultas

I was my first amp I got. I will be selling it in a few days though after having owning it for about 1,5 years. It's simply too big for my little apartment I just moved into, and loud too - I have only been playing with my Cornell Plexi Seven since I've moved in.
But yeah, a really bass-heavy amp that sounds great.

JLee

Gold Supporting Member
"Rich" is a very good description of the cleans. Was my first real amp and had it for 6 years before selling it. Was never completely happy with the sound cranked. Was just short of the amount of drive I was looking for. Took pedals like a dream though, especially my fuzz pedals.