My new Planet Waves Cable is WAY NOISY!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tanner Vix, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Is this the norm? I recently finished putting my new pedalboard together (pics coming soon) and used all cable station between pedals and bought a new $40 custom series gold plated right angle/straight 20' Planet Waves cable to go from pedalboard to the amp. I have been getting a crazy defined broadcast of our local 1390 AM station. This is cool and all, but I don't need football play by play on my Mesa 1/2 stack that I spent over $3000 putting together with pedals. I've always been a monster cable guy but wanted to keep everything Planet Waves since I did the cable station route between pedals. I know it's the 20' Planet Waves cable because I mixed/matched swapped out all the possibilities and even used some older generic cables and sure enough that Cable is LOUD and NOISY.

Have any of you had this problem? or do you think its a defective cable? I mean I was blown away by the clarity of how it picked up the radio frequency. Are there some other factors around me maybe that are affecting it? I don't know but I'm going to be playing live shortly and I guess I'll be taking some monster cable with me just in case...:D

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I used to use PWs, and they picked up in my jam space. Nowhere else though.. I now use lava, and have yet to use them in my jam space (just got 'em). will find out soon enough

Your problem may be your location. Whatever it is, investing in an ISP noise decimator would seem a worthy cause

3. Fernando

Fernando Member

But do you have problems only with the long cables? If you use other brand of cables between guitar and pedalboard and pedalboard and amp, how does it sound? I mean, are the PWs you're using between the pedals sounding ok?

4. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

I replaced the 20' PW with a 21' monster and "poof"...it was quiet.

5. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I've been using Planet Wave for quite some time now with no problems. The custom series are directional cables. The shield is tied to ground on the end that goes into the amp to prevent ground loops.

Did you have the correct end in the amp. This could of been your problem.

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Exactly what I was going to suggest. If you have them the wrong way, the shield will actually act like an antenna and you will get major RF leakage.

7. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

Well, I have a right angle coming out of my DL4 with the straight going into the amp. How do I tell which end should go where?

8. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Wait a second, the shielded end goes in the amp? DoHH!:eek:

9. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

I don't know if the shielded end is supposed to go into the amp Gary. That's how it is on my setup though and I'm still getting crazy radio.

10. Tanner Vix

Tanner Vix Member

I don't know if the shielded end is supposed to go into the amp Gary. That's how it is on my setup though and I'm still getting crazy radio.

11. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

The shielded end should go to the amp as that is where the best ground is. If that's the way you have it try flipping it just to see if it solves the problems. When radio waves are a problem there is no one set solution, it can be any number of things....

12. Mario C.

Mario C. Member

I know this is an old thread but I'm experiencing the same exact problem, shielded end is where it should be, I'm picking radio stations, it's not any other thing in my setup, changed the Planet Waves, plugged a DiMarzio and it's dead silent, plugged a Canare cable and it's dead quiet too, I dunno but I spent $100 on these cables and they are noisy, lame.

13. kennethdave

kennethdave Member

^May I know which Planet Waves cables exactly...??
    Custom...?? Custom Pro...?? Circuit Breaker...?? American Stage...??

I've never had this problem with PW...been using all their different series for close to 10 years now...

14. Mario C.

Mario C. Member

Sure. Planet Waves Custom series 20 ft. with the double molded plugs, when I plugged into the pedal board it picked up am radio, ouch.

The shielded end went into the pedal board, the right angle to the guitar.

15. kennethdave

kennethdave Member

I've never had these probs before man...sorry I cant help....

Does it happen at different locations..?? Or just at home/particular gig....??

16. Twinattack

Twinattack Member

I have four 20' PW cables and three Cable Station kits that I've been using consistently for the last 7-8 years. Never had a single problem with any of them, especially interference. Gigged and toured with them a lot too. Tough, reliable, and sound great. Sorry I can't remember which particular model the 20 footers are, it doesn't have the model name on them either. They were the top of the line ones at the time though.

17. Mario C.

Mario C. Member

I did some more tests and if I use the PW cable at the end of my pedal board and into the amp it works fine but if I place it at the beginning of the pedal board (from my guitar) it picks interference, using two of them (one from guitar to pedals and form last pedal to amp) minimized the noise but it's still there, I'm trying them out at the studio, no gigs yet.