My New Ponce Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Browncow, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Browncow

Browncow Member

Hey everyone,
    First time posting in The Gear Page, so go easy on me! I just picked up two sweet guitars built my good friend and Master Luthier, Mike Ponce. You probably know Mike from his days at Fender, Rick, and most recent, Suhr Guitars. Mike has finally taken the leap and started his own guitar business building classic electrics (something I've been waiting for since he spec'd out a Suhr Modern for me a couple of years ago). I bought one in black with three single coils, and another in Lake Placid Blue with two singles and a humbucker. I seriously haven't stopped playing both of them for three weeks straight! They are relatively light (around 7.5 lbs), have tone "for days", and the necks are fast with just the right amount of meat (I don't like skinny necks). Mike builds the guitars solo from the ground up, to include wood selection (two piece alder body with maple neck and Indian rosewood fret board), pickups of his own design, and the superb relic (body, neck, and hardware). The thin nitro finish is perfect and gives it a classic look as well as big tone. I don't know how he does it, but these guitars are the loudest I've ever played without amplification. Oh, and before I forget...check out the pic of the Gotoh vintage locking tuners, which Mike surprised me with! Didn't even know anyone made vintage locking. Also, I forgot to mention the lead time...Mike had both of mine done in less than two months, start to finish! Where else can you get a fully custom guitar, made by a legendary builder, without having to wait an entire year! Enjoy the photos! If you're interested in knowing more details (colors, setups, pricing, etc), email Mike at PonceGuitars.com.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Browncow

Browncow Member

Second try at posting photos...
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. Speedbump61

Speedbump61 Gold Supporting Member

4. journo

journo Member

Subscribing in wait for photos.

5. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Browncow likes this.
  6. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Cool guitars! Dig the headstock. The relicing not so much, but then again relicing just isn't my thing.

Machew likes this.
  7. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Whoa, I didn't know Mike left Suhr. He is one talented dude.

8. Browncow

Browncow Member

Thanks to Member 2016aug29...I assume it was you who got my photos to post. I'm still in the dark as to why they don't show in my original post. I copied and pasted the URL from Imgur in two different formats, but they wouldn't appear. Thanks for whatever you did!

9. Browncow

Browncow Member

Yep...Mike is the BEST! All around great guy and the best builder I've ever had the fortune of meeting. I see many more purchases of his guitars in the future!

10. Browncow

Browncow Member

These are the first relic'd guitars I've owned. I, too, was not into the relic'd look, but after seeing the "crackle" in the thin Nitro finish and the slick neck, I'm sold on these. I know from a luthier's standpoint that a thin Nitro finish is had to buff without burning, but it's that thin finish (and other tricks Mike incorporates) that contributes to the great tone. And as hard as I am on guitars...well, just about everything that's nice, if you ask my wife...I'd rather have one that doesn't have a museum quality finish.

11. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

No problems, happy to help. I just copied the image link from imgur and posted the link by using the image icon on the toolbar (icon between the smiley and the filmstrip). (Actually I opened your image in a new tab and used that link instead, that's why the photos look bigger.)

12. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Those do look pretty nice.
    Mike knows what he's doing.
    You pick those up from RocketMusic?

13. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to TGP, Browncow! Cool looking guitars. Please stick around and talk about them more as you own them over time.

As far as relic'd guitars go, I'm a fan when it isn't extreme. I love how broken in they feel from the beginning. I have no problem buying something completely clean either. Funny thing is, now having owned a couple of relic'd guitars, I don't worry about scratches on the others anymore.

Hopefully someday I can play a Ponce guitar.

14. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the large Fender style headstocks, but I'm sure Mike is making some nice guitars.

15. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Wow, those look great!
    I didn't know Mike had left Suhr either- I wonder who's helping John build the Auras, since John had said it would be him and Mike building them when they were debuted at NAMM last year...

16. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Kenny Gin, Kenny was the first person to join me and my oldest employee. He was a Master Builder at Fender when I worked there. It also means I’m doing more of the other work and staining along with my painter Juan, also one of the first employees.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 2:35 AM
    freedom's door likes this.
  17. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

That's cool John. I figured it would be Kenny, I'm glad he's still with you after all these years.
    I can't wait to see some finished Auras out in the wild :D

18. Browncow

Browncow Member

I got mine direct from Mike because I was one of the first to pre-order, sight unseen. He's only selling to dealers now...Rocket Music and Guitars Etc.

superstratjunky likes this.
  19. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Gotcha. Very cool. They look well thought out.