My New Ron Kirn

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Donnie2112, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Donnie2112

Donnie2112 Member

Admittedly, this is my only custom shop guitar, but I have to relate my experience. The guitar is a standard Barnbuster, soft v neck, translucent antique white, vintage bridge, 4 way switching,Serial number 0792.

If I could characterize this guitar in a word, it would be mojo. The guitar is not one of his customs and if I wanted to pay several hundred more dollars I might go for slightly different specs. But, it comes set up so well, with such attention to detail in terms of fretwork and neck finishing that I just play better, and sound better on this guitar. For me, the bends are not a problem but the vintage radius makes chording so much easier. In terms of sound it can do all manner of clean tones, pushed country sounds, classic rock crunch, as well as modern metal tones. I never imagined that a tele with single coils could sound this versatile. Not just "versatile" but it sounds "ideal" no matter what I throw at it.

Every day I play it the more I feel like this is my guitar, my number 1 I want no one else to have. I let my $3000 PRS, a fantastic guitar in its own right, sit more and more. The Barnbuster is an instrument I want to play. I could go for a raw fatter neck, more switching options and taller frets. But I somehow feel like they wouldn't make too much of a difference. I'll need a really good reason to get another electric for a while.

Ultimately, what I'm saying is, order a Ron Kirn, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

2. shane88

shane88 Member

3. Kid Tele

Kid Tele Member

4. lowyaw

lowyaw Member

5. dmentzer

dmentzer Supporting Member

I haven't been disappointed. Still the one I pick up the most.
    [​IMG]

6. mvanslooten

mvanslooten Member

Love my Barnbuster. It made me want to be a better guitarist than I was and I play it every day when I have the chance. I used to keep it in its case but eventually decided to hang it in the living room so I could just pick it off the wall whenever I have a minute. It never fails to put a smile on my face.

7. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

Love the Kirn Barnbuster. So easy to play, such sustain, great tones. Enjoy!

8. 71strat

71strat Member

Ron is such a good luthier/ Set Up Guy, that a 7.25 radius doesn't matter if you know how to address the frets. Proper set up and Fret Attention is some of what you pay top dollar for and will Never get from Fender or Gibson straight off the rack. Even if Gibson Pleks it.

And not dissing the Plek as I use it for all my guitars.

But be assured Ron knows how to work magic in the fret attention.

9. cugel

cugel Member

totally agree. my 7.25 kirn plays like a dream

10. JDutch

JDutch Member

Seconded.

11. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Lets see the new guitar. Ron is one of a few builders I would like to spend time trying one out.

12. majorbanjo

majorbanjo Member

Ron,

Built me a tele style and I liked it so much….I had him build me a strat……

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! I picked up a Barnbuster last year. Had some issues with it, which I posted about here at the time, but it does sound great. Ended up switching out the pickups for Bare Knuckles, which was probably more of a lateral move than anything (the Kirn pickups were nice, too), and installed the Gotoh Modern Bridge because the intonation was bugging me. I think I've pretty much got it where I want it now.

14. Mad Wombat

Mad Wombat Member

Those are some lovely chunks of wood! I'm jealous of all of you! :drool
    I'm waiting for Ron to finish mine. I'm constantly checking email/forums/etc for updates or anything Kirn related.
    Fortunately, from the forums I've seen that others do this too. Nice to know I'm not (completely) nuts. :crazy