1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

My new Suhr S5 Pro Series

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by nsriley, Apr 24, 2008.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

UPS dropped it off a week or so ago. Drop dead gorgeous!!! Smells like new wood and finish etc. Extremely resonate unplugged, I mean loud unplugged, great sign! Superior fit, finish and setup. Just like my S1, only this one has different wood, pickups and bridge. Here's something hilarious.....the serial # is 666. :Devil And it's a Fireburst finish. Hmmmmmmmm. LOL! After tuning and stretching the new strings and locking the Floyd down, I plugged it into my Soldano. Best word to describe this guitar....BALLS! Big huge hairy balls! There's a low midrange to this guitar that is scary sweet sounding! I banged out a bunch of high gain stuff and loved it. I also plugged into a mildly overdriven Fargen MiniPlex Mk2 and was pulling out some neat Rockabilly tones with both pickups on. Plays like complete butter like my S1. I do not regret putting three guitars up for sale to get this one.

Some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

That ser number is priceless :D

3. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

No kidding.

:FM

4. hottub

hottub Member

fantastic looking guitar! yeah really, great serial number too.

5. DXMG

DXMG Member

Sweet guitar mang!! I LOVE "scraped binding" (although I didnt know it was called that until just now...) One thing that makes me :nono - With guitar making skills like that, you'd think they'd know the difference between input and output...

:JAM

6. Redrum

Redrum Member

I just received my first Suhr recently, a Pro S3 and it's an amazing guitar. Been playing with it so much I'm afraid I may go blind. The Basswood/Maple cap combo does indeed have a wicked lower midrange and overall punch to it. Compared to my friends' Alder bodied Classic T, the S3 has a little more even tonal response with a slightly thicker tone. However, the S3 doesn't have the sparkly, sweet top-end of the Classic T.

Btw, the Bengal Burst with scraped binding on my S3 is incredible looking - really like that Fireburst finish though - very sweet!

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

666 had to have a Floyd.:JAM

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks guys. I put on some new knobs last night to sorta personalize the guitar a tad.

[​IMG]

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Nice guitar man!

I've got a Suhr pro as well, a first run S1 in orange crush...I love mine to bits! And I'm sure you will too!

Nice addition on the knobs, I like the gothic cross detail on them.

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Very nice indeed.......I have to warn you: It won't be your last.......

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

VERY cool. I'm curious, though. Is there a reason for getting locking tuners AND a Floyd?

12. dnumde

dnumde Member

You won't be able to keep your hands off that guitar for sure, my Standard has totally raised the bar for the guitars i own. And you've got a reaaaaallly evil # number for sure :)

Pietro: I suppose it's just more convenience and faster tune-up during restringing as compared to the usual tuners, where u have to get 3 to 4 wraps on each post.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Testament,

Okay, yeah, I get that. that makes sense. I haven't had a Floyd guitar in so long. Maybe I should get one again...

14. James V

James V Member

That is one nice looking guitar. I love the top. I was wondering if the volume is in a good spot for swells. Congrats on the great guitar.

15. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

This is one guitar that when it feels so good-like buttah- that it feels like it's playing itself......it just might really be!.. . . .RUN!