My new Suhr S5 Pro Series

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by nsriley, Apr 24, 2008.

1. nsriley

nsriley Member

UPS dropped it off a week or so ago. Drop dead gorgeous!!! Smells like new wood and finish etc. Extremely resonate unplugged, I mean loud unplugged, great sign! Superior fit, finish and setup. Just like my S1, only this one has different wood, pickups and bridge. Here's something hilarious.....the serial # is 666. :Devil And it's a Fireburst finish. Hmmmmmmmm. LOL! After tuning and stretching the new strings and locking the Floyd down, I plugged it into my Soldano. Best word to describe this guitar....BALLS! Big huge hairy balls! There's a low midrange to this guitar that is scary sweet sounding! I banged out a bunch of high gain stuff and loved it. I also plugged into a mildly overdriven Fargen MiniPlex Mk2 and was pulling out some neat Rockabilly tones with both pickups on. Plays like complete butter like my S1. I do not regret putting three guitars up for sale to get this one.

Some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

That ser number is priceless :D

3. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

No kidding.

:FM

4. hottub

hottub Member

fantastic looking guitar! yeah really, great serial number too.

5. DXMG

DXMG Member

Sweet guitar mang!! I LOVE "scraped binding" (although I didnt know it was called that until just now...) One thing that makes me :nono - With guitar making skills like that, you'd think they'd know the difference between input and output...

:JAM

6. Redrum

Redrum Member

I just received my first Suhr recently, a Pro S3 and it's an amazing guitar. Been playing with it so much I'm afraid I may go blind. The Basswood/Maple cap combo does indeed have a wicked lower midrange and overall punch to it. Compared to my friends' Alder bodied Classic T, the S3 has a little more even tonal response with a slightly thicker tone. However, the S3 doesn't have the sparkly, sweet top-end of the Classic T.

Btw, the Bengal Burst with scraped binding on my S3 is incredible looking - really like that Fireburst finish though - very sweet!

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

666 had to have a Floyd.:JAM

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

Thanks guys. I put on some new knobs last night to sorta personalize the guitar a tad.

[​IMG]

9. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Nice guitar man!

I've got a Suhr pro as well, a first run S1 in orange crush...I love mine to bits! And I'm sure you will too!

Nice addition on the knobs, I like the gothic cross detail on them.

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Very nice indeed.......I have to warn you: It won't be your last.......

11. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

VERY cool. I'm curious, though. Is there a reason for getting locking tuners AND a Floyd?

12. dnumde

dnumde Member

You won't be able to keep your hands off that guitar for sure, my Standard has totally raised the bar for the guitars i own. And you've got a reaaaaallly evil # number for sure :)

Pietro: I suppose it's just more convenience and faster tune-up during restringing as compared to the usual tuners, where u have to get 3 to 4 wraps on each post.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Testament,

Okay, yeah, I get that. that makes sense. I haven't had a Floyd guitar in so long. Maybe I should get one again...

14. James V

James V Member

That is one nice looking guitar. I love the top. I was wondering if the volume is in a good spot for swells. Congrats on the great guitar.

15. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

This is one guitar that when it feels so good-like buttah- that it feels like it's playing itself......it just might really be!.. . . .RUN!