My New Swart Atomic Space Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by darkstar11, Feb 22, 2008.

1. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

I received my new Swart AST a couple days ago. I waited a couple days before posting this.. since we all know the excitement of new gear makes us crazy.

The amp is exactly what I had hoped for and is a joy to play through.

The amp has allowed me to slow down and really appreciate the warm clean tones of my guitar. In addition, all the controls on the amp are amazingly subtle.. the smallest turn of a knob actually makes a difference in the output.

Although the amp is only 18 watts.. It is very loud and is plenty for my home, studio and gigging needs. The trem and reverb help to make the amp a complete tone package too. So far there has been no need for me to add external effects to get in my "tone groove".

Before I purchased the AST.. I tried the smaller Swart (5watt) Space Tone Reverb. Although that amp was very nice .. it could not possibly compare in the "clean" department. The AST simply "hits the nail on the head" for cleans! The only downside to this is... I need to crank it up to get it to breakup (which makes it way too loud for lower practice levels or "living room sound").

I love the sound as well as it's vintage looks. I also like the fact that it is less than 30 pounds..making it easy to lug around. The later being an important factor for my personal needs. Since I do find myself playing in different rooms of my house from day to day.

All in all, I am so very much digging the vibe of this amp...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Member

Very cool. awesome little amp.

I will add that its far and away one of if not the coolest looking amps I've ever seen in person...

I came this close to buying one, but held out and scored an SST head last night....Wow. Same kind of vibe as the AST, just more of it and I can use my cabs.

The Swart stuff is awesome.

3. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on the new amp! I am a huge fan of Swart amps! I have and love a Swart AST and also the little 6v6se...

Bluetweed here on TGP made an excellent suggestion that you might try if you want to get earlier breakup: switch the rectifier to a 5Y3. you can get a NOS 5Y3 cheaply from Mike at kcanostubes.com and probably many other places (I always buy from Mike as he has a great selection and is very knowledgeable).

The 5Y3 makes the amp feel a bit more tweedy throughout and brings the breakup tones into the realm of the possible for playing at home. It is still loud for a home, of course, but much more manageable and this way you can avoid the compromise of an attenuator.

putting in a better NOS 12ax7 is another recommended upgrade...but the rectifier tube is definitely worth a try...I feel like it transformed my already great AST into something even better overall...you can see on the tube chart that Swart gives the 5Y3 as a recommended option for the rectifier...it really makes a very noticeable difference!!

great great amp and the best amp trem I have ever heard!

Enjoy the amp!!

4. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Great suggestion on changing the rectifier tube to the 5Y3 .. I remember reading that thread when I was researching amps here.

Is there any particular brand 5Y3 I should look for?

5. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

go on kcanos tubes website, and ask him

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Silver Supporting Member

I asked Mike that very question and he recommended either the inexpensive NOS RCA 5Y3 for about $25...there is also a very heavy-duty one for about $40...I decided to just go for the RCA (and that was the brand that Bluetweed recommended) and I am completely happy with it...it has really transformed the amp's sound for me and I already really liked it!

7. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

Cool.. I am going to order the RCA.

I am already very pleased ... this simple mod is going to put me "over the top".

Thanks !

8. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I love the AST - I gotta get one!

9. Defendant

Defendant Member

Fantastic amp.

Here's a couple of neat tricks I've found:

-Run it in to a quality 2x12 with a V30 and a G12H30 if you want a more aggressive heavy rock tone.

-Grab a Reverend flatroc and plug in. Hours of chiming fun right there.

10. motis1953

motis1953 Member

Way cool amps. I've got one on Ebay ending tommorrow night. Unbeleiveable trem circuit.

11. darkstar11

darkstar11 Member

I am still digging my AST.

I just ordered a Atomic Space Boost Pedal..

Can anyone give me some insight on the Boost pedal..

Anyone using one with the AST? What should I expect?

12. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

+1 on the NOS 5Y3 and the NOS 12AX7 in v1.

I also got my tubes from Mike. In my case I have a Brimar 5Y3 and a Telefunken 12AX7. I've got some tasty NOS 6V6's too but I'm gonna save them for recording in a couple of months.

Overall I've just loved the AST. I have pretty decent sounding AC30 and also a 65 London but the AST has been getting most of the action. It's a great tone box for club gigs because I can run on the edge of clipping and have it sitting nicely in the mix. Sound guys just lap it up because it sounds cool and makes their job easy!

13. theHoss

theHoss Member

I love those amps. It will surely be my next grab and go amp. Thanks for posting the pics. Nice looking guitar as well.

14. PurpleHaze

PurpleHaze Member