My new tele build needs pickups!! Suggestions?!

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
**Note: This guitar is being built primarily for wedding gigs. I'm playing pop, r&b, classic rock, and hard rock**

A new telecaster build has begun! Neck ordered from Musikraft and body ordered from Rutters. Don't wanna give away the details just yet, but I've pretty much got everything squared away except the wiring harness and pickups.

Going with a semi-strat configuration, with tele neck pickups in the neck and middle positions, and a lefty tele bridge pickup. I need to fill the routs!

Looking for a tele bridge pickup that excels at gain tones for material from Katy Perry to Guns N Roses. I don't need authentic tones here, just a great sounding pickup that handles a healthy amount of gain. I'm thinking about the Bareknuckle Piledriver right now, but have no experience with those pickups. I like the idea of a jacked up tele bridge pickup that runs hot with plenty of output and punch. Not looking for a twanger! I've got a Ron Ellis broadcaster in my #1 that handles the more conventional tones.

I guess I'm also looking for recommendations on some neck pickups to pair with the bridge. A good middle position tele neck pickup and a true tele neck pickup. The Bareknuckle Yardbird looks interesting. I'm also thinking a Don Mare Stelly to get those strat neck pickup tones. I'm welcoming suggestions! Thanks in advance!

B-Nads

I would go with a hot wound Budz 542 bridge pickup and his Tall neck...or his Mongrel bridge + Stylemaster neck if you don't mind playing with the volume knob a but. David's pickups are my favorites of everything I've tried thus far.

Twangmeister

Gold Supporting Member
I get calls for all kinds of music (including twang, can you tell?), and Teles are my number one guitar. May I suggest you take a look at Bardens? They have proven to be the most adaptable and hey, they're noiseless!

Vibrolux

Don Mare!

Give him a call and ask his suggestion. He knows more than any of us...and he can build them. I have 4 tells with Mares.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
I get calls for all kinds of music (including twang, can you tell?), and Teles are my number one guitar. May I suggest you take a look at Bardens? They have proven to be the most adaptable and hey, they're noiseless!
I did think about the Bardens. I'll look into those too!

Trending Topics