My New TrueFire Course Now Available- Chord Navigator: CAGED Triads

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Rob G, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Rob G

Rob G Member

Hey Everyone,
    My new TrueFire course is now available.

If you find yourself playing the same two barre chord shapes this one could be helpful!

You can watch the intro video and download it HERE

2. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Rob this course is amazing! Got through the first 5-6 lessons and love it :)

3. Rob G

Rob G Member

So glad you like it Wolfboy!

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  4. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

Ditto Rob. Really helping to reinforce and expand my use and understanding of the CAGED system.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  5. cal1024

cal1024 Member

I'm really enjoying it as well. The pacing of the course fits right where I'm at right now.

Wolfboy1 likes this.
  6. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

I think it might end up being one of the core type courses everyone should work through.

7. jazzyguy

jazzyguy Member

Rob G this with this course you can learn from zero the whole caged system? or its an advanced course?

it seem pretty good

Turi likes this.
  8. Turi

Turi Member

It does cover the whole CAGED system, in 2 keys - C and G. The beauty of CAGED is that it's easily transposable and doesn't require much theory.
    It covers major, minor, suspended, augmented and diminished chords.

Rob doesn't get into the theory in this course a whole lot, outside of demonstrating the major and minor scale, and how to build a chord with them - (i.e R, 3, 5) etc (also suspended, augmented and diminished formulas).
    This is a huge bonus for someone like me, who understands basic theory yet doesn't actually give a **** about it. Just gives the noobs the basics.. then straight into it..
    IMO it's a great place to start, and I wish I'd come across something similar earlier.

The whole course revolves around triads within the CAGED shapes, and linking those triads to other triads that are nearby to follow chord progressions.
    It also teaches you inversions of the triads, which are found within the CAGED shapes themselves. I won't go too far into it, because Rob covers it all perfectly and in a very articulate yet easy to follow way.

Since triads = 3 notes, there's a focus on clustering them into string sets (i.e G, B, e strings... D, G, B strings.. etc etc). Where I'm at there is no mention of string-skipping or anything like that to make the shapes bigger - but that's also a focus of the course - keeping the voicings tight/close together - ideal for rhythm work, it says in the course, however I'm finding it all just awesome for general playing and I'm positive I'll find ways to work it into my lead work.

Highly recommended and one of, if not, the best Truefire course I've come across and I've done quite a bit.
    It's not brilliant because it's advanced, it's brilliant because it will truly broaden your horizons and get your mind thinking about alternative ways to play chords/rhythms/lead lines etc etc, if you're not already hip to the CAGED system.

Great work, Rob, I think it'll be useful for players of all skill levels.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    vashondan likes this.
  9. Rob G

Rob G Member

Thanks so much Turi, glad you like the course!

I'd say it's CAGED for beginners to intermediate level.

At some point I'm planning on doing an accompanying course where I get into more advanced topics such as piano style stacked 4th chords and inversions of 7th chords.

Turi likes this.
  10. jazzyguy

jazzyguy Member

ohh man thats great information about this course, i will go for it!!!!

Turi likes this.
  11. Turi

Turi Member

Sweet, very much looking forward to that, yeah I'm loving the course, cheers mate.

Yeah it's good, I've read a couple of your posts in other threads here and I think it'll be a great fit for you.
    Like all of this stuff, take your time with it, don't just rush through.
    There's so much out there online for us guitarists, Truefire in particular just has an immense amount of killer material, it's hard not to rush through things and try to absorb as much as possible.
    I kinda dig that idea with things like learning licks etc, just learn heaps and see what sticks.. but with this course - it's an educational tool, I'd really take the time to go through it bit by bit, and practice it all, and allow it all to sink into your brain and your fingers.

Best of luck mate.

-----

Random note - It's kinda funny to hear Rob go through some tasty inversions (based from the CAGED shapes) and play some nice rhythm stuff, and then say something along the lines of "so you can try that instead of this" and he just herpaderp strums a chord.. man, it just reminded me so much of how I play a lot of the time, and how other bands sound when I hear them at the pub etc etc.

From a pure rhythm perspective - there's a whole new world out there, that's not just strumming out the same barre chords or cowboy chords etc...

jazzyguy likes this.
  12. jazzyguy

jazzyguy Member

thats true with true fire courses theres a lot of material and you just don't know where to start and what is the right material for your level and finally all seems so confused..
    thanks a lot man

Turi likes this.
  13. cal1024

cal1024 Member

Finished the course and it is really good. Learned some basics that filled some holes I had and reinforced some things I already knew pretty well. I will be referring back to a few of the demonstration lessons again because Rob plays some beautiful parts in them.

Turi likes this.
  14. Rafterman

Rafterman Silver Supporting Member

Also a good course to watch because of the Tom Anderson guitar!