My new Vox AC30CC has arrived!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by flashPUNK, Mar 10, 2006.

1. flashPUNK

flashPUNK Member

Anyone have any tips for a new user of this amp?

What settings do you like?

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

Use the settings card that came with the amp. I know we all like to feel as if we're above reading directions (I know I am), but that really helped me dial it in.

That being said, I liked plugging into the normal channel and turning it an the master all the way up!

3. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Do you still have a Hayeed too?

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

Only the Hayseed.

I loved my CC, but it had a dented OT that was causing some sort of sympathetic ring/rattle every time I played certain notes, so I returned it and bought the Hayseed.

I loved the CC's tone. I love the Hayseed's more, though!

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I LOVE mine!! Try the normal channel with the bright switch on. KILLER, big round tones! I also love linking the two channels and adding in enogh of the top boost channel for a bit more chime. There are so many cool tones in that amp, it will drive you NUTS! Lol! Enjoy and keep us posted on your favorites. :AOK

6. flashPUNK

flashPUNK Member

has anyone used a tube screamer with it?

I've been working all day so I havent been able to go pick it up.

7. radvra

radvra Guest

been reading about the AC30CC, but mine is a 1960 (1990) 30th anniversary with Greenbacks. It's the Korg/Marshall RI with a SS rectifier. The amp is old school (no MV) and just beautiful, and my "number 1" for most gigs. I added the Avatar 2x12 closed back with G1230H recently...and it is just awesome. The greenbacks will cut your head off if you are in direct path, but the Avatar is much softer/better low end, and I like the mix of both (especially for mic options). I run a red box and a 57 on the ext cab.

To tweak it you can use NOS GE EL-84's if you can find them (or Mullards if you can afford them). The JJ's are OK, but USA NOS like Sylvania or GE are better IMO.

The amp loves the tube screamer on the front end (Keeley modded TS-10), and I run that plus another OD (I use a Barber Tone Pump or Radial Tone Bone) to make it squeal (or howl) for solo's. I jumper the bright channel with the tremolo channel and mix accordingly. Mine likes treb at about 12 to 1 o'clock, cut is at about 7-8 o'clock, and bass at about 2-3 o'clock.

I play in a cover band, and this amp cleans up, get dirty, and can get downright nasty if you want it to. I am interested to get more data on the CC, so let me know how this compares.

Thanks!

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I have a TS808. Sounds great if you dial in a decent amount of hair. I LOVE linking the channels (with the top boost in "standard") and throwing on the bright switch. Chimey, gritty! Beautiful. My AC30CC (RIP) filled the biggest of concert halls with ease.

9. bscepter

bscepter Member

As far as pedals go, I think the normal channel takes them better than the TB channel. But that's just my opinion, of course.

10. flashPUNK

flashPUNK Member

I went and picked it up tonight, got pats on the back, and "youre a lucky guy to get that amp" from a number of store workers, and customers.

Got it home, hooked up the micro amp I got to give me a boost channel, and plugged this baby in, and it was like a dream.

this amp runs hot, and sounds amazing.

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

best mass-produced non-ptp amp out there, IMHO.

12. shuffle

shuffle Member

I've had myn for about 3 months now and i bloody love it. I dont like a tube screamer in front at all!! Much too much saturation for me. I use my fulldrive2 on the comp cut, and the boost on with a setting of about 8 oclock. Unbelivable!

I had a major break through i think today however. Is you amp really high gained compaired to what an ac30 should be??? Myn has been, i had to use both my volume knobs for 'normal' and 'top boost' at LOW settings to get clean tones, and turn the master up a bit. I tried another one in a shop today because it was just sitting there :)D) and i noticed it had NO WAY NEAR as much gain as myn. I was so confused. I had changed the amp to have new valves, still the same thing.

WHY DID MYN HAVE TOO MUCH GAIN???????

I've been using two REALLY cheap guitars lately.

Yamaha pacific
    Fender squire tele

I use my strat (pacifica) about 99% of the time. In the store today i used a strat and it had no way near as muh gain as myn...

I went home, used my tele and bang, there was this BEAUTIFUL clean tone, with the top boost volume still up at half way, it was still clean! The guy in the store mentioned, "maybe your guitar has hot pickups??"

What are they? Also would that be the reason why i have a LOT of gain on my strat, and no way NEAR as much on my tele or the strat in the store?