My new Warmoth Stratotelecloner

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Clorenzo, May 13, 2006.

1. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Ok, I...

- had this SSH black Strat pickguard and this couple of single coils left over from previous projects

- didn't have a "proper" Fender-type guitar in my arsenal (by that I mean ash or alder body, maple neck, single coil pu's)

- always loved the Tele bridge tone

- hadn't been able to get out of my head a gorgeous trans blue on ash finish I saw on a Vinetto posted here a while ago

- was ready for my first attempt at making a neck from scratch

Sooooo, put it all in a shaker and this is what came out (just the body for now, ignore that neck, I just had to try it with something and the only one I had handy was the 24.75" mahogany/ebony from my Warmoth LP-cloner):

[​IMG]

Those nice guys at Warmoth made me the custom body (no jack route, no forearm contour, Strat-Strat-Tele pu's and Tele bridge route) and took care of the spotless (as usual) finish. The pu's are DiMarzio VV Heavy Blues (N), Fender Tex Mex (M) and DiMarzio Virtual Hot T (B), and the switching is N, N(split)+M, M, N+B, B (never cared much for the M+B combo and always loved the infamous middle pu on its own).

I'm basically a humbucker guy and had never really spent much time with a proper Strat or Tele (my first plywood bodied - ceramic pu loaded Squier doesn't count), but I'm starting to see what their legendary versatility is all about. I never use the tone control much in my HB guitars, but here I find it very useful, the range of tones is huge and the number of them I like is much higher than I expected. I don't know how big the change will be with the proper maple/rw neck, but I suspect this baby is going to see much more use than I thought. When I finish the neck (hopefully sometime this year!) I'll give the full report. Watch this space.

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Looks pretty cool.

Is the Tele bridge mounted on top of the pickguard?

Why did you have the body made without the jack route? I would think having the plug coming out of the top of guitar like that would get in the way, unless you have a 90 degree angled plug.

Pete

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I love the Tele bridge on a strat type body. Very very cool guitar. If it sounds as good as it looks you have a winner!!:dude :AOK

4. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Man, that looks great! Does the mahogany neck calm down the brightness of the ash a bit?

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

No, I cut out the pickguard so it fits around the bridge.

There are two reasons why I did the jack like that: a) in the Photoshop simulations I did, something didn't look right with the Tele bridge and the Strat jack together and b) I wanted to keep it as simple as possible with just one vol and one tone pot, but the pg was already drilled for three pots, so I had to cover one the extra hole with something. Oh, and I do have a few cables with angled plugs, so no problem there.

6. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

I really won't know till I try it with the maple/rw neck, but as it is now it does sound very bright, at least compared to my other guitars. The pots are 250k and the neck and bridge pu's are supposed to be warmer than vintage single coils, but to get a sound I like most of the time I have to turn down the tone control or cut some treble in the amp (maybe this is just me being a humbucker guy). Bear in mind that the ebony fb is also supposed to be brighter than rosewood, so I guess it makes up for the warmer mahogany (at least partly) and maybe the difference won't be that big.

7. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

That looks great!

A Tele pickup & bridgeplate on a strat is an excellent idea. I'm not keen on the jack coming straight out of the top of the guitar like a, ES335 but everything else looks great.

I think I would build one the jack out the butt of the guitar like a Tele, a Master Volume, Master Tone, & Blender (to get the inbetween Tele tone with the neck), and a maple neck with the ash like Leo designed.

That looks great!

8. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Thanks! As I said that neck is just something I had handy and installed in the body to try it out, but the final one (in the works) will be maple/rw with a Tele headstock shape. I thought about the blender idea, but for once I wanted to keep the switching and wiring as simple as possible, so I just used a DP5T switch and replaced the Middle+Bridge combo (which I don't like) with Neck+Bridge in position 4.