My new years resolution: no more selling gear

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Jan 5, 2008.

1. TimH

TimH Member

I've decided that from now on I won't be selling off my gear. I have a pedalboard that gives me all of the basic tones I need in high quiality packages so what I've decided to do from now on is tuck $20-50 a month aside to use for gear purchases and to start searching for pedals that do one thing really well. I'd like to try alot of modding pedals and such but also not worrying about if that sound is the BEST example of each tone but finding a use for various tones.

I wonder how many of us would be much happier if we had just a large pallet of good but not overly expensive tones at our disposal? I'm going to be soing the same thing with amps and cabs now too....guitars as well although because I touch guitars I might not be looking at such cheap options there...2 or 3 great axes will be fine :) Anyone else want to jump (or have already!) on the "no selling gear in 2008" train?

Tim

2. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

I sold off all the gear that was either junk or was simply unused last year, so I'm there with ya.

I want to fill out my board, but I'm planning to do so in such a way that I don't end up buying and selling constantly. I have a good idea of what sorts of pedals I want. Most of them I know specifically which one I want as well, but for those slots that I'm not perfectly sure on, I'm going to do a lot of research before hand. Reading, listening to as many clips as I can find, talking to people, etc. Hopefully I'll end up with what I'm after.

3. cheesey

cheesey Member

i just sold my jcm 800 today so i am out , i feel like kramer on the seinfeld show the competition!
    but now i can pick up that hamer korina jr thats been killing me for a month!
    whats the deal anyway i have been on a binge lately, i bought a maxon ad-999 , a lapatrie classical guitar and now the hamer!
    the other day i plugged my lp strait into my bogner and i got goosebumps
    so why all the pedals ?
    if i get my hands on a vibutron i should be done for a bit , 335 would be nice , a senn original tele, a real nice vintage style strat! a taylor 414 ce........bah!

4. whitenoise

whitenoise Member

this year for me,

spend more time playing guitar then on my gear. last year was a little unbalanced with more time spent on adjusting pedals, moving pedals, switching out pups, and just about everything else rather then playing guitar. i dont know if i lost my focus, or was trying to hard. Or maybe i am loosing focus now, but for this year, its more time playing then trying trying to find the perfect set-up.

5. lukeII

lukeII Member

So Cheesey this means that you are no longer master of your domain so to speak.

6. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    + many.....

7. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

Good luck with that ;)

8. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

This is one of my new years resolutions as well....
    Its a hard one!

9. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Im with you, right after I sell this EJ strat.:D

10. TimH

TimH Member

No doubt. It's a lesson in patience for me...if I get GAS I've got to save my pennies instead of offloading something.