My NGD - Rocket Fire's Secret Recipe Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by specialidiot, May 13, 2015.

1. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

A few months ago Nick put up an Emporium ad for his new line of guitars - Secret Recipe. Essentially the same as his standard line but with a different neck.

My first "good" guitar was a 2012 G&L Legacy, which I had since new. It was the only guitar I've held on to since I started learning in 2012 - bought it in the fall and it had been a great guitar for me. So I knew I really like the Strat body style, and someday I'd get a really good one.

So back to Nick and his Secret Recipe line - I had read a lot about his builds and now the price point was down to something I could do. I contacted Nick about what he was building in his next batch - my preference was for Olympic White body, mint pickguard, rosewood fretboard and his 60's style pickups. He actually had one coming up in that batch and was willing to hold on to it until my G&L sold.

I listed the G&L and it sold in a week - I also sold off some leftover stuff and the buy was on. Nick was fantastic through the whole process, always a quick reply to my emails, and best of all he delivered what we discussed quicker than I anticipated - which is rare (see King Bee and my long, frustrating wait)

The guitar arrived and it was exactly what I wanted! Nick got the aging just right - very light with a bit of wear at the arm cut, and slightly yellowed to show off the pick guard. And the neck, he hit it perfectly. Damn she's a beauty!!

It plays wonderfully - when I pick it up it just fits, the neck is perfect, it stays in tune, and the pickups have the perfect range from growl to soaring. My ability no where nears the capability of what this guitar can do but I am thrilled to have it, and it will stay.

Specs as follows for Nick's 62 Style Secret Recipe

-Superior Alder Body
    -Indian Rosewoood Neck
    -6105 frets
    -Bone Nut
    -Vintage-Kluson type Gotoh Keys
    -Rocketfire Steel Block Trem
    -Rocketfire Total 60's Strat Pickups
    -CTS Pots
    -Switchcraft Switch
    -Cloth Covered Wiring
    -Lightly aged finish (nitro)

I'm happy to answer any questions, but bottom line if you are jonesing for a guitar, go see Nick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

Springs are on wrong :) like that the middle spring has zero tension.

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Looks great. Is that his new headstock design going forward? It's much better.

alane011 likes this.
  4. Nick Sorenson

Nick Sorenson Rocketfire Guitars

Hi Tim, this is my new SRG (Secret Recipe Guitars) headstock. Rocketfires will still have the original curvy headstock. The idea with these is to build something that plays/sounds/feels just like my Rocketfires but a little less $$$. Rocketfires start at $2750 and are built (all wood parts) entirely in house from scratch... I even dry the Maple for the necks from green lumber in my solar kiln. These new guitars are the same specs, but the neck is roughed out to my standard Rocketfire carve by a shop I trust. They start at $1950. Thanks for the compliment on the headstock!! Glad to hear it!

Paul, re the springs, that's a pretty common configuration. The middle spring has plenty of tension. Try pulling that spring off and you'll see what I mean. As far as I know, many of Hendrix' strats were sprung this way. This is how I always do it when 3 springs are used (most of the time). Just the right tension and room for + - adjustment at the screws.

ford likes this.
  5. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

^^ Funny how different luthiers swear by different configurations- if it works that's all that matters. Great guitar tho congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

Gorgeous guitar!

Good job, Nick! Great guitars.

7. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Thats an awesome looking guitar, congrats. Nick makes great guitars.