My Nik Huber Orca in progress pics...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by VegasGreg, Nov 4, 2005.

1. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Hey all,

I just wanted to post some pics of my Orca in progress.

Delivery should be about mid December, so I can bring it to NAMM for my pals to check out!

Still deciding on the color. Guitar is being shot in Nitro, with a matching headstock, except for the back of the neck, which will have a satin finish.

The neck is also being bound in curly maple, to match the scraped binding on the body.

Also, this is a full LP thickness body-an idea I got from Siggi Schwartz music in Germany.

Anticipation....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

what´s the scale lengths?

3. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

That's the normal Orca scale length. 25"

4. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Cool photos - I love watching the progress as a guitar gets built. Nice.

--chiba

5. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

Hey,cool pics!!
    Body is white Korina, I assume, and neck as well?
    It´s gonna be a light one, in spite of the thick body, right? :dude
    Think, I´ll have to go over and check it out....!;)

6. MOJO

MOJO Member

i'm guessing that since The PRS/Gibson ruling Nik can start selling the Orca model in the US again?? cool.

looks sweet so far:eek:

7. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I guess so. He started building this a few months ago.

8. Marcel

Marcel Member

I had this guitar in my hands when visiting Nik last weekend and I can confirm it is very lightweight!

I did not ask Nik as I too presumed the nek was Korina...is it?

9. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Right guys, Neck and Body are solid Korina. No chambers for me on this guitar.

I'm not somebody that really cares about the weight of a guitar, I actually prefer guitars with some weight to them.

But I'm sure I'll adapt! :D

10. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

Absolutely a beautiful guitar. Thank you for sharing the in progress photos. I can't wait to see and read about the final guitar.

11. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I just got these photos today. The body rough sanded, the neck being put together, and a piece of Honduras Mahogany that is going to be the body of my next one.

Here's the current body, rough sanded. I really dig the grain patterns on the top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some pictures of the neck in progress. I LOVE the piece of Brazilian Rosewood for the fingerboard! Nik is binding the fingerboard in curly maple next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And as a little bonus, heres the piece of Mahogany that is going to be the body of my next Orca-Nik tells me it's a heavy, dense piece of wood. Just what I'm looking for in my next Orca! This one will have a hipshot or a Skyway trem:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all for now!

12. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Nik is offering a Skyway trem? That's very cool, best trem I've ever played by a wide margin!

13. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

I wouldn't say he's offering it, per se.

I just told him I would probably consider one, or the Hipshot. He said he's see what he could do.

He's pretty flexible as far as options go.

14. davidp158

davidp158 Member

I'm not familiar with Nik Huber's instruments, but that looks beautiful! I noted the large neck pocket. I presume this will be a glued in neck. That neck pocket must have an effect on the tone, eh? Be sure to post more photos as you get them.

cheers,
    Dave

15. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Yeah...the neck pocket is indeed a big part of the sound, but the catch lies in the attention to the coupling of the "right" neck with the "right" body - i.e. matching wood densities and resonance properties of both pieces.

To me that's where the voodoo lies IMHO... and Nik's got it nailed.

JJ

16. davidp158

davidp158 Member

JJ,

Thanks for the reply, and keep those pictures coming!

Do you know if Nik Huber has any US dealers? I'm in the Seattle area, and would love to see one of his guitars in person.

Unplugged, how do you think this guitar will sound compared to a Les Paul? Most of the set/glue in neck guitars I've owned and played were a bit "dead" compared to bolt on necks. Of course, that is a gross generalization of bolt on versus set neck designs, and your comment of combining certain neck and body woods is the key. I haven't had a chance to try any high end set neck guitars.

My Gibson R7 Les Paul is fairly resonant for a LP, but bolt on necks seem to have a different attack that I favor over set neck guitars. Of course, the LP has a short scale neck and humbuckers, versus the longer scale neck and single coil pickups on the Fender and Lentz bolt on neck guitars I own.

I'd love to find a guitar that has the warmth and "girth" of a Les Paul, the twang and expressive articulation of a Tele. Having one of each guitar works well enough, but having the sonic attributes of both in one guitar, with a neck that fits me would be heaven.

best regards,
    Dave

17. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Dave -
    Nik does have several dealers in the US, but none in your area (yet), I'm afraid.
    Last acquired dealer is Willcutt (KY), who joins a fine roster comprising Synergy Music (FLA), BCR Music (PA), Marc's Guitar Shop (WI).
    Some other dealerships are in the process of being evaluated (more news coming).
    You will definitely get a chance to get your hands around a Huber neck at the next NAMM - Nik will have some goodies with him.

If you're looking for warmth AND twang, then the Dolphin (see pic below) is your ticket, as it has the 25.5" scale.
    The twang-ness can be accentuated by
    a) korina body / neck
    b) bolt on construction
    c) P90s
    d) trem (on a set neck definitely adds some high end shimmer).

The Orca is more of a take on the LP, but with a slightly longer 25" scale, a "slimmer" body thickness - the mahogany part of the body is 1/4" thinner than a regular LP yet the sound retains a lot of chunky warmness.
    Here again you may opt for different wood combinations in order to achieve more bite.

One last clarification to my preceding post - when I speak of the "right" neck for the "right" body I'm not necessarily alluding to wood combinations, but rather to the inherent qualities of the timbers used to build the various parts.

JJ

[​IMG]