My observations on OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jonlarsen002, May 13, 2008.

1. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

So, I finally demoed an OCD at guitar center yesterday. I didn't have my guitar and my amp, so I want to make sure my conclusions are accurate....

The OCD seemed to have more gain on tap than my FD2-Mos, which sounded great with crunch riffs, but it seemed like there was less compression/sustain than the FD2. Thus, when I played lead parts, the notes didn't sing out even with the gain up all the way. Is this just the result of this being more of a "dynamic" pedal than the FD2?

For the longest time, I wanted an OCD but now I'm having second thoughts. It's hard to know unless it's your rig.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Try using the OCD with the FD-2 ....they work great together!

3. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

YES.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

5. jonlarsen002

jonlarsen002 Member

Which pedal order and settings would you reccommend I try out?

6. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I use my OCD as a way to get incredibly cool harmonically rich crunch for rhythm guitar sounds and as suggested like to goose that with a FD2 or MP LGW to get sweet soaring lead tones. Unless you are in HP mode with the gain up real high, the OCD is not really designed for sustaining tones.
    It is, however, a great way to get those thick, rich Marshall 18 watt tones
    kinda like the chord sound of Zep's "Custard Pie".

7. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

Try this:

FDII --> Compressor --> OCD

You can get lots of combinations with that.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I listened to V.4 of the OCD last week and was really disappointed. I have owned V.1 and V.3 and probably like V.2 the best so far. I did notice on V.4 that the bass wasn't as pronounced but this pedal just strikes me as something that is going through a box. There is something about the highs that just doesn't work for me, it goes from too muffled to sharp sounding. It also seems congested when I compare it to a Tim pedal. Lots of people like this pedal but I'm of the opinion there is much better stuff out there.

For higher gain I have been more happy with either a Mojodrive, or Menatone King of the Brits which replaced the Mojo. The KOTB really sounds like a Marshall to my ears and is super guitar volume sensative, much like a real amp.

For cranking leads I run my Fulldrive into my Tim and use the Tim as a booster/clarifier.

9. wc8485

wc8485 Member

Somewhat irrelevant to the direct question... I'd like to suggest this before ya throw in the towel on the OCD.
    Try running the FD2 and the OCD at 18 volts.

Just got an OCD(on trade) myself, used it once at rehearsal. Was a noticeable difference switching between 9v and 18v. Granted, have not given it enough time, and I was using very moderate settings... LP, drive down, tone 11 to 1 o'clock, vol. 9 to 10 o'clock. I use amp for main distortion.
    Still experimenting myself... for this amp, I want to use it to "focus" my tone... for other situations, I'm hoping I'll be able to throw the OCD and a booster pedal in front of about any backline gear and get an acceptable tone.

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

I only got to play through one for a short time but I liked what it did and was very impressed with the amount of dynamics of string sensitivity it gives. It can make an amp respond like a very fine amp. I'm going to get one.

11. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Buy the OCD and spend an extra $40.00 on a Bad Monkey. If you don't ever use the BM for anything else it makes the PERFECT and I mean PERFECT stacker with an OCD. I've tried boutique boosts, treble boosts, lots of boosts but the Bad Monkus and the OCD are built for each other. The notes sing and sustain perfectly when stacked.

12. KCWM

KCWM Member

I really like the sound of an OCD with a Box of Rock after it. I use the boost channel on the box of rock and it gets an even better sound out of the OCD. I might have to try the 18v thing.

13. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

I have V1 and I love it. I got mine when the first review was written in Guitar Player mag. Now I run my Throbak Stone Bender and my Analogman Beano Boost in front of it and I love it even more. It cleans up so nicely with the volume knob of the guitar.

14. d-b

d-b Member

hmmm...I have OCD, BOR, and FD2 and the OCD doesn't like to do the OD stack with my gear. I use it stand alone or boost it with my SD 2n1.

but that's just me...and my gear....and my ears...

15. James

James Member

I love the OCD. For a really thick overdrive tone, I sometimes combine it with a Demeter Fat Control (mid-boost). It's a really great combination.

I like the versatility of the OCD modes, too.

16. amoodymule

amoodymule Member

Dag nabit, now I am having 2nd thoughts, 'couse I run a LP thru a Soldano HR50, and I can get the Custard Pie, or most Led Zep tones :BITCH
    I use a Bad Monkey with a Zinky Master Blaster for solo's and I want to try a OCD for a few reasons. I've heard before the BM goes great with the OCD and so on.
    (thanks for renforcing this FloridaSam, lol)

Then on another thred someone says the Fulltone 69 is the *****, :munch:confused::D

www.myspace.com/souprocks

17. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

Do you run the BM before or after your OCD?

18. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

the OCD is great at 15v or higher. At 9v it's horrible IMO.

19. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I run Guitar>>BM>>OCD. I've tried it both ways but with the BM first the tone is creamy delicious. And BTW I always run the OCD at 18v.

20. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

Thanks, that has been my result as well.

Just curious, what are your settings on the OCD and BM?