1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

My OCD arrived and I'm torn....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

I had another message prepared (accidently posted it when I went to edit it). My initial impressions from lower volume testing were great - no negatives. Before I posted I got the opportunity to turn it up to gig volume for a little while. I've now had about two hours to play with it. I love some aspects of the OCD and do not care for some others.

Pros: Very dynamic, cleans up very well at all gain settings, EQ'd very well for my amp, sounds great at low volume.

Cons: Does not sound as natural at gig/jam volumes, there's some upper-mid harshness that becomes more evident the louder the amp is.

I'd like to keep the OCD just for low volume playing but if it's not on my board it just won't get used. If it's not going to get used then it's gotta go.

I'm waiting for a Love Pedal COT 50 to arrive. I put the OCD on my board where the COT is slated to go so that I'll have it in front of me for a couple of weeks. It'll get used quite a bit in that time.

More to come. :)

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Try the OCD at 18 V!

Tonight I was fooling around with just my Strat and Deluxe reverb RI had the volume set to around 4 or 5 and had a nice gritty tone going then I plugged in just the OCD in the HP mode gain set to around 11:00 and loved the tone I got.

If I can eventually use just one pedal with my amp it would be the OCD it just seems to blend in just right and works great with the guitars volume knob!

Just keep experimenting with it!

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have one, I like it, but I'm not crazy about it.

4. Occam

Occam Member

Spend some time with it...there are probably few if any people on here that play at the volume levels my band does on here and I think it sounds extraordinarly natural, I am running it in front of an already dirty amp so that might have something to do with it but 90% of other pedals I've tried sound very fake in that same situation so who knows. I like mine so much I'm thinking about a second one for my home practice rig.

5. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I think that most people are not using the OCD the way it was designed to be used. On Fulltone's website they mention leaving the pedal on all the time and rolling back your guitars volume to clean it up. I think everyone would have to agree the pedal is excellent for this. However when you use the pedal as an on off overdrive you have to keep the volume on the pedal at about 9 or 10 o'clock or there is to much of an increase in volume. When the volume is turned down to this level the gain can become very harsh and fizzy. Some people call this pedal a distortion because it is capable of tons of gain but I think this pedal excells at lower gains and it was designed to give you the harmonics of a fully cranked amp and with the gain at 11 or 12 o'clock this pedal really shines. I plan to use mine for medium gains sounds and as a boost since ot has a lot of treble and I will be using my Eternity for higher gain sounds as soon as I get it on Monday.

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey 20forSeven,

Is the sweetspot volume on the OCD massively louder than unity? I mean can you live with it or is it just unbearable? I really want to het an OCD, but finding them in Finland is a pain. Plus, the price is like ridiculous over here. Anybody want to swap one for a Menatone KotB6. I might be tempted although I really dig the pedal...

7. nothereanymore

nothereanymore Member

On the fulltone website. Mike addresses this in FAQ in the OCD section and has a solution. Replace the level pot with a 500k audio taper pot. It is suppose to sweeten the pedal out.

8. Shakkal

Shakkal Member

I agree with the OCD sounding best with the volume knob turned up a bit, just like many other ODs, because when set that way I guess it gets the preamp tubes more signal to work with and gets them to work a bit more themselves ... I set my amps at the edge of breakup (I use an attenuator if necessary) so I get to use it that way without an extreme volume boost, as the amp is already running out of headroom on that setting. I use it @18V too.

9. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I am not crazy about any fulltone effects. Tried many, they're ok but not great for my taste.

10. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Yes I think it is, however if you turn the gain back a little you still get all of the great harmonics and tone with less of the harshness. Even at super high gain levels the pedal sounds really good it just begins to sound like a sonic flamethrower instead of a cranked amp. This sound is still good for over the top gain. To me it sounds like a marshall on ten with a fuzz pedal in front of it, kind of out of control.

11. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

It's too bad there's nothing on the Fulltone website (now or when I bought the pedal) about the importance of cranking the pedal's volume. The only volume setting Fuller mentions is next to a clip where he says the volume is set at " 9 o'clock" -- which is where I've been setting mine. He does mention that you can back off the guitar volume for clean sounds (which I do with the OCD, and it works great), but never says that you should crank the pedal's volume.

So, after reading 20for7's post, I tried cranking the OCD volume to 3:00 on the clean channel of my Shiva. With gain at about 9:00 the sound is a lot fatter than when I've previously used the pedal in an on-off manner at unity gain. At this setting the pedal definitely sounds usable to me -- pretty darned good in fact. (Thanks, 20for7.) However, when I kick the OCD off, and switch to the crunch channel of my Shiva, my earlier feelings about the OCD are confirmed: to my ear the OCD lacks sufficient midrange fat. The Shiva is much fatter (and that's with all EQ knobs on the amp set to about noon). Granted, the crunch channel of a Shiva is a high standard for a pedal to meet. But I still think my blue FD2 sounds better (and fatter) than the OCD. Just my opinion.

Interestingly, Fuller himself acknowledges that some people (including himself it seems) feel the pedal lacks mids: On his OCD FAQ page he writes,

"Q: I wish the OCD had less Bass, more mids, a smoother top end...what can you do?"

"A: Easy, exchange the Volume pot with a 500K Audio taper. Removes some highs, removes some lows, makes the Mids bloom, I may make this change on all production models, but haven't decided yet. It makes the pedal seem less loud, but that's just an illusion because the pot and taper is different so the old loud setting (about 9 O'clock on the volume dial )is now located up about 1'Oclock."

Looks like Mr. Fuller himself feels that the pedal lacks mids and may fix that by adding the 500k audio taper to all models. I may get that mod. Fuller posts a link to an "authorized" guy who does it. An OCD with more mids sounds like a killer pedal to me.

12. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

Same here. I wonder what the stock pot value is. 1 Meg linear taper? Assuming it's 1 Meg, I wonder if simply soldering a 1 Meg 1/4 watt resistor to the pot's outside terminals would give the same effect, tonewise (although the taper would be different from an audio taper 500K pot), since two 1 Meg resistors in parallel gives 500K. I might try this myself sometime soon. (IIRC, some goop may first need to be removed first.)

13. jlagrassa

Just got back from playing with my band tonight and used the OCD like the way I always do with the gain around 2:00 and Volume around 9-10:00 and have no major Issues running it that way.

I wish I could crank my 59 Bassman RI more then I would be able to turn the drive down on the OCD and blast it with more volume the OCD definitely likes to be used that way but most of the time I cant crank it so IMO the OCD still sounds great with the drive up hi!

Monday I will have the Barber Silver LTD back on my board and plan to stack it with the OCD for over the top drive!

14. drolling

drolling Member

And the whole point of the OCD was to provide an alternative to that all pervasive mid-boosted tubescreamer sound.

The true acid test of any overdrive is how it performs in a high volume context, where the power tubes are providing compression you just can't get at living room levels.

How many pedals dish up massive tones that become small & puny when you turn up the amp?

15. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

I forgot to mention I always run my ocd at 18volts when I first got the pedal I tried both voltages and 18v sounded much bigger and even more open. I think the OCD is probably best used in a similar fashion to the COT I've never played a COT but I believe the OCD is similar but with more control options. When I first got my OCD I was showing it to my dad and I was playing through his fender stage 100 combo amp and I had the pedal on and turn the volume down on my guitar and I remember thinking that even though I didn't have much gain I felt comfortable playing anything because the tone was so magical. I am looking forward to using my OCD at lower gain once my ETERNITY takes over higher gain sounds because I know there is magic in that pedal if you can find the right use for it. Just because it is capable of high gain doesn't mean you need to use it.

16. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

I was just looking on the fullone website and couldnt find the link to the dude who does the mod you're speaking of for the OCD.

I'd be interested in getting it because I would love a more pronounced midrange sound from this pedal but one that doesnt sound like a tubescreamer, meaning not one that sounds "boxy" or somewhat muffled.

If anybody could tell me the website or info of the guy who does the mod, please let me know. Thanks.

17. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

There's info and a link to his email here:

http://www.fulltone.com/ocd_questions.html

18. jlagrassa

Don Butler is the guy Mike mentions for the mod!

Don Butler

19. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I love my OCD. I've experimented with the both
    the HP and LP toggle settings and am still amazed
    at the potential of this pedal.
    I'm also running it at 18v. Seems to give an even
    tighter, more amplike tone.

20. jlagrassa

I'm going to have to try the 18V again its been awhile since I used it that way! Either way I love this pedal!