My old Ibanez TS10 is sounding great!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by oxtone, Jun 21, 2019.

1. oxtone

oxtone Member

Guys,

Am re-visiting my old Ibanez TS10, and it is sounding great! Love the tones from it
    with my Strat, and my PRS Santana SE with Lollar Low Wind Imperials.

I can't believe I let it sit on the shelf all these years, while spending thousands of dollars on new boutique OD pedals! I've had a Keeley moded TS-808, and still have the TS Mini.
    Does anyone know what year(s) these were made? Can't tell from mine.

Is anyone using the TS10 right now? If so, how do you like it? I see John Mayer has one on his new pedalboard. Hey if it's good enough for John, then...:)

monty likes this.
  2. reprove

reprove Member

I think JM is the only one licensed to use one.

ThinPaperWings, SG-Slinger and oxtone like this.
  3. Riffa

Riffa Member

How so?

4. Masa

Masa Member

TS10 was my first pedal. I bought it in 1986. I used it for about 10 years. In the early 90s, it was the only pedal I used for gigs.

I still have it, but I haven't used it for 20 years. I haven't used any OD pedal (for that matter), since I discovered a treble booster. OD pedals just don't clean up like treble boosters.

5. Trick Fall

Trick Fall Member

First good pedal I ever owned. Wish I still had it.

6. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

it does sound great, but I was always worried the crappy jacks would fail.

The Maxon OD9 is so much better built.

jaymeister likes this.
  7. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I still gig mine, even after a couple fighting bar patrons fell on my pedalboard and broke a couple knobs off it, haha. Just the knobs, not the shaft thankfully (giggity). I alternate it with a garden variety TS9 depending on the amp. The TS10 is a bit more compressed than the TS9 (in a good way) so it is just a bit different.

Lt Dak, evanjackson and fretless like this.
  8. KramerPacerCarreraGuy

KramerPacerCarreraGuy Member

I think the Maxon OD9 can be used to coldcock someone in a bar fight,

and would even sound better afterwards because of the new added mojo

and a new notch would be addd to it's case

Steve73 likes this.
  9. Riffa

Riffa Member

Care to explain?

10. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I used one for about 15 years to drive a Super Reverb. Great pedal. I sold it for way more than I thought I would about 3 years ago.

11. woof*

woof* Member

I have owned several. The weak point is the on/off switch, in fact the current one is beginning to fail.
    They are a little bit more compressed that the other tubescreamers.

12. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

I used to have a TS-10, bought it used, and it wasn't it great condition. Probably the best sounding TS I ever owned. However, while the average TS is built like a proper steel tank, the TS-10 was built like one of those plastic tank kits that 10 year old boys glue together and smash to bits in the sandpit. I pawned mine to pay the rent and before it failed on me completely. The jacks were crap. Still, I did really like it. I miss it sometimes.

13. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

Man I bought one of these back around 2001 for like $35 at Daddy’s Junky Music in MA and sold it a couple years later for I believe $30. Should have held on to it...

14. oxtone

oxtone Member

Thanks for all your replies! Will see how the TS10 sounds at my next gig. Yea, it's too bad it was cheaply built - mine
    is in good shape, but the cheap, plastic switch could be better. Also don't like the placement of the 9 volt tap
    right next to the Input jack. Makes for using my pancake end cables next to it very difficult. They should have put the tap
    in the center of the front - duh!

15. Moniker

Moniker Guitarchitect Supporting Member

Good times at Daddy's Junky Music, rock solid local chain.. RIP Daddy's

openbar and btjguitarman like this.
  16. btjguitarman

btjguitarman Member

I bought a lotttttt of stuff from them back in high school and college. My local one was notorious for having used gear that may or may not have been stolen.

17. gripweed

gripweed Member

That whole 10 series had some seriously good sounding pedals. I bought my ts10 brand new in the 80s and then picked up a Fat Cat and a Mostortion in the early 2000s when they were cheap and easy to get.

18. oxtone

oxtone Member

Guys - on Saturday, I played at a backyard jam/party, into my friend John Metz's hand-made tube amp, and used the TS10 through it, which sounded GREAT! His cab had a EVM12L in it, and it sounded HUGE!

FreedomsSound likes this.
  19. FreedomsSound

FreedomsSound Member

I had my TS10 rehoused, and it’s IMHO the best tubescreamer I’ve ever played. Does all the SRV/Mayer stuff, but I actually use it more for Roots and Americana tones. Does a killer jazz/blues tone also. It has a pleasant singing quality to it that I haven’t experienced in others. Very smooth.

20. DonP

DonP Member

My TS-10 was underutilized for 30+ years until about 6 months ago. I bought it by accident (George Lynch said he used a TS, I didn't find out until later it was an 808) Still in mint shape.

I bought a mod'ed TS9 a couple of weeks ago for a spare, but I like the good old TS-10 the best.