My opinion: Sylvania 12ax7 NOS sounds sick in V1

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Igneous, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Igneous

Igneous Member

I came across one, along with some others, bugle boy 12au7 (logo)(which is sweet too) and anothe 17mm plate (all its says is holland)
    And a couple others, one being the sylvania ax7- This has wicked amounts of gain!!

I like itr better than rft. More dynamics it seems. :dude

Cheers

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

I think they're great tubes.

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Based on this description, you may want to consider two outstanding USA black-plate 12AX7 options: Raytheon 12AX7A (halo-getter) or RCA 12AX7 (square-getter). Both break up earlier (like RFT) but with superb dynamics the RFT could never touch. They both clean up better and are more articulate than any Sylvania I've ever tried.

How to choose between them? RCA is fat and meaty, while the Raytheon is slightly brighter, leaner and twangier. They're both amongst my favorites, but I tend to lean towards the Raytheon.

- T

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yeah, those Sylvanias usually test off the scale (very high gain).

On the flip side, this is often a problem since higher gain tubes accentuate microphonics (which exist in ALL tubes to some degree).

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

which amp again I can't remember...
    thanks

6. Igneous

Igneous Member

Laney AOR Pro.

7. Igneous

Igneous Member

Of course. However, at bedroom levels, Its pretty sweet.
    I called in a newspaper "finder" about some dude that was looking to get rid of his old television tubes and he said I could sift through.

He had a few thousand lying around in his basement. Mostly, to my dismay, they were all T.V. tubes but I did manage to find five preamp tubes out of the bunch and gave him a ten spot.

Not a bad find.