My Orange Retro 50 came today!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Aslan, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I found a store that still had a Orange Retro 50 in stock (their not made any more). When I plugged it in I was amazed at the sound, the tone is the warmest of any amp I've played and the touch sensitivity was very nice. Orange amps have a unique sound that you either love or you don't, I find them a nice alternative to the Marshall/Fender/Vox sounds that are the standards.

[​IMG]

2. Keld

Keld Supporting Member

woo hoo! Love my Retro 50 - thick, rich and creamy and packs a wallop.

Have you had a chance to really turn it up? Get the Master around 1:00 or 2:00 and the gain between 10:00 and 1:00 or so and the amp gets even better. Also, the tone controls have a good range and definitely affect the gain.

3. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I think that the Orange cabs play a part in the overall "Orange Sound". When ever I plug another brand of amp into my Orange 212 cab with V30's the amp just sounds fuller. The only down side is that they weigh 72 lbs, I might try some of the new Neo magnet speakers, that would cut off ~20lbs.

4. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i did the power scale mod as well. took out the master volume and replaced it w/ the module. honestly, it's a very cool amp, but i hardly ever use it 'cuz the music that i'm doing right now is better served by other amps.
    absolutely inimitable sound, tho'.

asian, congrats on the buy. who did U scoop it from?

5. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

Do you guys ever wonder why these companies discontinue models that seem to still have interest in them? The Retro Oranges seem like such cool amps, but you gotta hunt them down. Bummer!

Cool amp by the way!

6. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

Thanks voojo, I guess since they were handmade one at a time by Adrian Emsley that it was just to labor intensive to meet the demand. But, I agree, seems like companies will discontinue some of their best stuff.

7. Keld

Keld Supporting Member

bump - so how has the first month been? Still happy with the purchase?

8. somedude

somedude Member

From what I've picked up on over at the Orange forum you can still order Retro 50s from the custom shop.... just expect to wait a long time for them, and pay through the nose.

9. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I dont have a Retro but I got a RV 50 and really like it a lot.
    I'm definately an Orangehead.