My Orange Rockerverb 50!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamison162, Mar 14, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

....is like a #1 Hit Song climbing it's way up the charts. It keeps knocking off everything that gets put up against it. I've owned and played many amps (VHT, Bogner, Budda, Marshall, /13, etc.) and this one is just the most versatile amp I've ever owned.

I was at GC during lunch yesterday and played my RV50 head through a Marshall JVM cab with the 25 watt greenies. Just killed.

The manager came over and played and said (obviously) it was better than anything in the store. They just got in some Egnater TourMasters and said the Orange just blows them out of the water. I didn't play the Egnator, but this guy can play and said he really didn't care for them.

I left there feeling very good! The guy plays circles around me. I'm no sloppy player and I don't care if I ever get that good, but at least I know I sound good!!!

And by the way, the 4x12 sounded VERY good, but not good enough for me to give up my OS 2x12 (Open Back). With the Scumbacks (H75/M75, HP's) I get way more punch and bass and a thicker, meaty tone. Cleans aren't as bright and clear as greenies though.

But last night I put my 2 x G12-65's back in and yeah, they sound soooo freakin' close to regular greenbacks it's not even funny. They are not quite as thin sounding whcih is a god thing, handle more watts, don't woof out, etc. They are the absolute perfect higher wattage speaker for open back 2x12's with these Orange/British amps. The G12's were thicker than Greenbacks on the dirty channel, but thinner than the Scumbacks. They sit right in the middle, very smooth speaker.

My Heritage H-150 on the dirty channel just rawks and my strat on the clean side has never sounded better with the G12-65's. I'm on a high!

2. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i had a 2x12 os Bogner cab that had one V30 and one 12-75(65) can't remember which one and i have yet to find a speaker i have hated more than that 12-.....
    Maybe it was a 75, but boy that thing sounded plain thin.

Well i love that you love your amp, i myself want an Orange to pair it with my Orange 2x12 cab, but i want a Prosonic combo first.

3. jamison162

The GT75's are some of the worse speakers I've heard. Nothing like the G12-65. The 12-65 get's alot of praise a lot of folks, including some distinguished, long-term members here. And rightly so.

I recently heard a Marshall TSL100 head through a 4x12 with GT-75's and it was probably the worst tone I've ever heard from a real tube amp.

4. bluntage

bluntage Member

I hear ya! I recently had my Rockerverb 50 repaired and retubed (they finally figured out what was going on with it, yay!) and I just love it! Very versatile, amazing tone... it's a winner!

:AOK

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

nice! makes ya feel good, don't it?

i had the same experience with my Marshall 2204. it just beat down everything i tried (including an RV50 i once had, i'm sorry to report :eek:). then i got my Shiva and the Marshall was finally humbled.

just reinfornces what everyone says: there is no such thing as "better", there's only "better for you".

anyway, the RV's are great amps for sure. if i had enough money to keep multiple amps i would have definitely kept it.

6. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

The Rockerverb 50 head is the only amp I've owned and sold that I want back, but I just bought a Suhr Badger to try out. If it doesn't cut it, I'm selling it and getting the Orange again. I love my Komet, but the RV50 has one of the best masters I've ever used, great for home use as well as on stage.

7. crwnedblasphemy

crwnedblasphemy Member

Well....I have never played the 50, but the 100 is awesome as well.

8. Rev2S

Rev2S Member

Take a left on Hudgens Rd, then a right on....
    Glad you love the Orange! I sold my RV50 a while ago for something different.

9. jamison162

Something different.....that's why I keep a bunch of pedals around.

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

u r right , the 75's are meh