My own personal Gibson x PRS dilemma

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tito83, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Lung plunger

Lung plunger Member

Turns out you're more into the Chevy Nova rather than the Buick

The Opera Panther likes this.
  2. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

cut your losses and move it along. You’re just throwing good money after bad.

rizla, Jarick, mrfett and 1 other person like this.
  3. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

Me, as well. :)
    I just bought a 594 SC semi, and while it is a lovely guitar, plays great, sounds great, et. al., I am just at home more on my Gibsons.

As mentioned in another post here, I wouldn't continue to update the PRS if you are not feeling it. Unload it and find another guitar to replace it, no matter what brand it is you choose.
    Hey, it is what it is. Embrace it, OP. No reason to lose sleep over something you have put your best effort into. :)

Tito83 likes this.
  4. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

Sadly, I think you are right. :(

Tito83 likes this.
  5. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Member

It's just that particular SG wins over that particular PRS.

I prefer my PRS SE Santana to my friend's Gibson LP Special double cut. Even he said the PRS had an edge over the Gibson in terms of versatility.

Maybe get a PRS model that doesn't overlap with your SG (like a Vela, or one of the three pickup types) and you'll want to play both for different reasons.

mrfett, Tito83 and Guitarwiz007 like this.
  6. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Been down this road a few times. I could not get my PRS to sound as good as a my Les Pauls. It felt better (wide fat neck) in my hands, but even throwing 80s Tim Shaw humbuckers into the goldtop PRS Singlecut could not get it close to its Gibson brethren. Don't get me wrong, PRS have their own thing going, but I have never been able to make one sound, or hear one sound, exactly like a Gibson. Even the newer stoptail style offerings do not get "the" sound.

7. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

Welcome to the club! Like you, I want to like PRS and have tried three times now to make the switch from my LPs. First with an SCT, then an SC and finally a 594 SC. They were all beautiful, great playing guitars that I so wanted to like but just didn’t for some reason. I can’t even put my finger on what it is that I dislike about them. I tried swapping pickups to no avail and just ended up selling them. :dunno

johnh likes this.
  8. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I'm also a member of the wanna like PRS club. I have a whale blue 1990 PRS Custom with birds and a 10 top, small heel and Brazilian board, a dream guitar to many folks these days. It plays and feels like a dream, the trem is amazing, but it leaves me absolutely bored playing it. And I've had it since 1991, so have had much time to figure out the issue. Maybe one thing is the stock PRS humbuckers (not the HFS but the other set) are very weak and uninspiring, but I have used a ton of aftermarket pickups in it that helped the tone but no bonding. I only keep it as it is supposed to be a bit collectible and my wife loves how it looks and refuses to allow me to sell it.

My obsessions now are a 2010 LP Trad Plus and a Charvel Guthrie Govan, just magnificent inspiring instruments that make me giddy every time I play them. I very much appreciate PRS and everything he stands for, and have the highest regard for his company and instruments, and honestly wish I liked them more than I do.

9. agiehler

agiehler Supporting Member

OP what model PRS is that? If it's a McCarty and you're still not getting close enough to the tone of the SG then I think you're just out of luck. The only suggestion I'd have is to try the same electronics/pickups you've got in the SG since you're currently comparing two different sets.

If it's a CE22 or Custom 22 then you're dealing with a thinner body and possibly a bolt-on neck. I would suggest trying a McCarty, DGT, Singlecut, etc. Something with more wood.

Aside from that you might just be noticing the scale length and ergonomic differences, which will never change no matter how many bridges or pickups you throw at it. You either like it, learn to deal with it, or don't. If the latter then just sell it and move on.

10. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

Oh I get it, but they can both truly live in perfect harmony.

Like you, my SG is one of my favorite guitars of all time and it always delivers. Super light, plays beautifully, sounds amazing, and its sustain always leaves me smiling. It's a guitar I typically grab before my Les Paul, which is also awesome, but doesn't fit my style as much.

When I found that magical SG (after a prior dud), I quit playing my PRS 245 and DGT and sold them both, never regretting the decision.

That said, the SG doesn't sound anything like my new SSH, which is almost as light, just as easy to play, far more versatile, and just as easy on the eyes.

Maybe PRS aren't for you, but your singular PRS experience may not be true for all. I've owned 4-5 previously and all played beautifully, but this one speaks to me. YMMV

[​IMG]

mrfett, Benz2112 and Tag like this.
  11. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

IME it's not "PRS", it's that PRS... it isn't "Gibson", it's that Gibson... it's not the brand of guitar, it's that particular guitar, the magical synchronicity of the right wood and the right hardware brought together under the right phase of the moon that just sings in my hands... but those are few and far between, so not every PRS or every Gibson is gonna be it for me... they're all different; but there will be PRS guitars out there that ring my bells... see?

johnh, newfmp3, Benz2112 and 2 others like this.
  12. Drew816

Drew816 Member

If the SG works for you and is your tone, count yourself lucky and move on. It may be this particular PRS, or this model/setup/type. I too have owned a few and finally discovered I prefer older CE24s, I find the maple neck adds better EQ balance to the tone of the guitar but then I like maple necked Les Pauls too. Plus 24's tend to get you more of an SG like tone in the neck pickup, sorta.

Or maybe PRS's just aren't for you? That's cool too, find what works and get on it. Life's short, don't fight it too much. ;)

Enjoy!

joesnewmatch likes this.
  13. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

I want to like PRS because of ergonomics and stuff but Gibson just wins for me in the "I get excited seeing and playing it" department.

I owned a PRS SE once, very nice guitar. Didn't make me excited to play it though.

14. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

You are over thinking it, just sell off the one you aren't using much.

What Paul does within the industry is of no concern when deciding what you like better.

joesnewmatch likes this.
  15. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I sold 5 R9s and an R8 because none sounded as good as any of my PRSs to me.
    :dunno Play an SG for that sound, play a McCarty for that sound. If you do not like one, sell it!

frankencat, big mike and joesnewmatch like this.
  16. JohnSword

JohnSword Member

I get the 'want to like X but I just don't'.
    I've had that experience with strats, teles and LP's. I really enjoy what others do with them, but for some reason they never feel right for me.

Get rid of what doesn't work and replace it with something that does!

17. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

doesn’t sound like a Gibson

thank god

ProfRhino, thomas4th and Tag like this.
  18. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

^Can't argue with personal preference! :)

19. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I cant get my Super reverb to sound like my favorite Vox AC15. Fender amps $uck.
    :confused:

johnh, ProfRhino, Comanche5 and 4 others like this.
  20. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Not to mention my deluxe won’t sound like a plexi

Nor does my custom 22 sound like a tele

BASTARDS!!!!

johnh, ProfRhino and Tag like this.