My own Van Halen/ADKOT thread

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sinasl1, Jan 30, 2012.

1. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

.....just because TGP needs another :)

I've been temporarily indisposed for a few days, but i saw someone reference me in a thread a few days ago, they were suggesting that because of my relationship with EVH gear that I would probably not speak my mind with regards to the new VH album and what I really thought.

Well, that's ********.

I'm a HUGE VH fan, as most know, and I've been anticipating this release for just as long as all of ya... of course everyone's got opinions, and I guess that's what these boards are for. So here's mine- I love it.

If you listen to the clip of either Chinatown or Outta Space that's on the net now and you don't get your rock n roll ass kicked, then, IMHO there's no hope. You are talking about guys in their late 50's hitting it HARD here, and one youngin pushing them all as well, and I think they are killing it. A lot of the classic bands are getting up there now, and I suppose it's the easy way out to just mellow out, and exit gracefully- or get a new singer like Journey or Foreigner, that sounds just like the old singer... these guys are not that band, they KNOW people want Dave and (i'd say no small feat) they made it happen with him.

Also lo res crap samples on youtube is no way to get into an album- How bout just wait til the CD comes out, throw it in for a few days, at home, in the car, whatever, have a couple beers, and ENJOY, don't over analyze and second guess the production etc etc, because in my opinion WHO CARES (not that I think it doesn't sound great because I do, Ross Hogarth is a good buddy and a STELLAR engineer, he doesn't mess around and he loves VH... the drums sound amazing I think, Wolf's bass is clear, loud, growling and mean, and Ed's guitar is for the most part ONE TRACK- a live performance, cause that's how he rolls... and how do you get it in both speakers? You delay one side like 11ms and voila now you have a big wide tone. That's what he wants- he obviously doesn't want guitar panned left, reverb right, it always bugged him I think. So I say just marvel at the fact that instead of doing what 99.9% of guys do (including me, usually) which is double the rhythm and pan it, and overdub the solos, you are instead getting a live ripping take from on of the best rock guitarists ever)....

where was I, OH YES... who cares about all that anyway, it's the MUSIC and the fact that you've got 14(?) new tunes from these guys to get into, and enjoy... at the end of the day,some you may like and some you may not like, but at least listen to it as an album, as whole songs, not crap samples on youtube, and live with it for a minute!!!! Remember 1984 had Simmons electronic drums on it! You probably didn't get used to the sound for a minute, but now it's hard for me to imagine it any other way!

I really think it's fantastic they got the record done and out, it was a long wait and a long road to get to this place.

Last thought- I've heard most of it, rippin loud through a great system, and the last song ends with a friggin WALL of guitar, a huge chord, that slowly dive-bombs down, and down, and down, and it's feeding back and exploding, like at the end of the mean streets intro but WAAAAY longer and crazier, and it just keeps going like that for like 30 seconds, and then slowly fades out- and I swear I got chills, my 1st thought was "if this is the last thing Ed ever released, what a way to go out"..."

So there, that's my honest opinion. In my book, they are off and running and it's going to be a great year for VH the band and VH fans!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  2. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

Thanks for you input Pete. I gotta say, the crap youtube videos has been enough for me to sit back and just say, "wow". This stuff is ripping in a way I never thought possible from them at this age.

I cannot wait for the CD, but I guess I'll have to. :( But man, will I be one happy camper when I get it. :)

3. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Well said... :agree

4. Rogue

Rogue Supporting Member

BTW, just to be clear, it seems you suggested all the guitars (rhythm and lead) were recorded in one take. Did I read that right?

5. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Well said Pete. I love what I hear so far and can't wait for next Tuesday and the concert in April. I've not been this excited about a band releasing a CD and doing a tour in a long long time..... let alone one I had completely written off as done. Also when I heard they were coming back with a new CD I was sure it would suck. It's far far from that.

Haters are gonna hate and will find any reason to do so. A lot of the VH threads here and on RT a testament to that fact.

6. Ben R

Ben R Member

Great review, Pete. thanks for sharing your thoughts. You know your Van Halen. I respect your opinion.

7. buddy62

buddy62 Rock N Roll Ain't Noise Pollution Silver Supporting Member

Everything I've heard thus far I am totally digging it..! :rockin

8. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

yea.

I'm not saying ALL, I don't know that, but yes that's how he's always done things and that's how it is on the majority of tracks I do believe.

9. sahhas

sahhas Member

i can't wait for the cd to come out.
    i know some say "the new snippets suck" or whatever, and that's fine, people are entitled to their opinion, but to judge it on a min clip on a computer listening system...seems a bit early to judge i think....although i've thought the clips sounded good...i'm sure they will sound better at home & in my car....

10. Autoesq

Autoesq Member

Great read--you got me pumped for the release!

11. Ben R

Ben R Member

I will NEVER understand all of the bitching done from certain people after hearing these songs. If you're a fan of Van Halen's old (pre-"Sammy") stuff, I don't know how at least some of this new stuff doesn't put a smile on your face. Given the circumstances of the last couple of decades with these guys, what on God's green Earth were people expecting? What I've heard so far exceeds anything I could have reasonably expected. And, I've wanted Dave back in the band since 1985.

12. Structo

Structo Member

Yeah, I'll have to check it out.
    I value Pete's opinion and in fact I just finished watching that clip of Steve Stevens and Pete playing Hot for Teacher.

Man Pete, you got it down brother.

13. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

wait wait wait. are you guys suggesting I Listen to the album first, before I blast my opinion on it all over TGP?!? :thud

insanely excited for the new album. as long as it sounds like Van Halen, it's going to be allright with me. No one grooves like VH and adding more Van Halen DNA to the mix can't be a bad thing for sure!

14. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

The whole thread was very well put but I just wanted to bring attention to that bit.....if I gave every new cd just a "once over" I never would've come to appreciate Just Push Play, Black Country Communion I & II, Velvet Revolver, Muse, etc etc etc....

Throw it in the cd player and play the crap out of it....

PS - nice gig ya had there with Steve Stevens!!!

15. Ben R

Ben R Member

Case in point on the people knocking the new album...

In another thread here, some guy was trying to make the point that "Balance" (with Sammy Hagar in the band) was a better album than this new one. When asked to clarify, he admits that the only song he has heard off of this new album was "Tattoo".

[​IMG]

16. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

:rotflmao

17. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I think in all fairness overall its pretty good album. I know it shouldn't be compared to their other work but its hard not to. That being said I just find it in a different class then the older Roth era records. Let's face it the only Roth era album less then phenomenal is Diver Down so it wouldn't be easy to equal those records. I still wish there would have been more newly written tunes as opposed to all those demo songs but it is what it is.

18. BigDar

BigDar Member

Pete, sometimes I think your class is wasted here.

19. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

but i'm suggesting- how can you tell?

without having the whole thing to listen to, and live with for a minute? that'd be like watching a movie trailer (in youtube quality) and having a formed opinion on the movie.

20. Ben R

Ben R Member

Some of us are right in the pocket with you on this, Pete. Thanks again for being involved in the conversation. ...one way or another. (...I'm gonna' find ya'. I'm gonna' getcha getcha getcha getcha!) Sorry.