my pedal set up and buffers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

here we go.......

gtr DLS/ cot50 /squawk /carbon copy/ carbon copy/ wet stereo

all TB except the wet stereo....is that adequate for buffers in my set up you think?

2. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

3. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Are you saying the Wet has a buffer in it? How's it sound to you currently? Remember the golden rule, "If it sounds good, it is good." If the Wet is buffered, then I'll say Yes you're good to go. Only you know how that actually sounds though. But it looks pretty good and straight-forward to me. I've got 3-4 pedals in my chain, all TB and no buffers; my rig sounds fine (well except for the guy playing through it, but still lol).

I wouldn't sweat it unless it just sounds awful for some reason.

Cheers.

4. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

don't have the buffered wet yet...saving me pennies don't you know

5. antbosca

antbosca Member

Doesn't look like it should be a problem unless you have over 25 feet of cable in addition to the board. But it's easy to test. Play through your rig. Listen. Plug straight into the amp. Listen. Are you hearing less high-end, less clarity? If yes, a buffer may rectify the situation.

6. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

The thing to remember is that the buffer is the first thing the guitar pickup see and if that first pedal has a very high or low impedence it can make the guitar feel and sound different then plugged straight into the amp. There have been lots of discussions about TB but I always defer to Cornish's article on this...

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html

Good luck, and yes my suggestion is get some type of buffer on the front end...

7. chervokas

chervokas Member

With only 5 true bypass pedals, usually you can get along fine w/o a buffer, especially if you're using low cap cable.

I don't know the specifics of the input and output impedances of your pedals but I think the advice is correct -- if it sounds good to you, it's good.

Also, a buffer at the end is find if you want to reduce the capacitance load on the guitar especially with just a handful of pedals in front of it, and especially if you keep the interconnects short between pedals -- with 6 inch cables that's only an additional 2.5 feet of cable, so say you run 15 feet of cable to the board, that would be 17.5 feet of cable to a buffer at the end of the pedal chain.

Also, remember, if you have any pedal switched on, it's largely doing the work of a buffer -- the first switched-on pedal in your current chain would be loading the guitar and decoupling the guitar from any cable capacitance or device impedance after it.

8. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

many thanks guys