My pedalboard concerns me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by curtisstetka, Oct 5, 2006.

1. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

I just realized I've only got 4 pedals on there (the DC Brick doesn't count) and not a single one of them cost me more than $100.

WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?!

1) VOX 847 wah (TB modded)
    2) BYOC TS clone
    3 Electro-Harmonix Graphic Fuzz (I guess this is nearly big enough to qualify as two pedals)
    4) Johnson chorus

I've had the Fulltone, ZVex, Analogman, et al stuff. For some reason I've ended up with those cheapies. Weird.... Well, I'm sure it'll be entirely different in another month anyway.

2. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Jeff Beck just uses a Rat distortion pedal. he plays & sounds better than everyone on TGPs' gear put together.
    Good for you! I got the best tone of my life yesterday. No joke. Guess what? ONE Pedal!!! A Retrosonic Chorus. Sounded just as good as plugging straight intothe amp. Something to be said for simplicity.

3. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

You arent welcome here any more.

4. fetuspetus

fetuspetus Member

hahahhaa.

my rig sounds pretty good when i can just get the EQ diialed in. I didn't even have any pedals in the mix today. other than a volume pedal.

Ben

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

It's not you it's what the heck is wrong with everyone else spending thousands on gear.:jo :AOK

6. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

This is true.

7. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Funny thread. Makes me think about how I have my gear set up...Wah, Comp...4 overdrives, two rack processors, channel switcher, etc...

Yet every time I set up my rig I am always comparing my tone to what I get with everything fully bypassed.:rotflmao

8. Grap

Grap Member

Typical weekend warrior style here.

My board is set-up for the clean amp I use when playing low volume at home, and has it's roots in the range of tones I needed in the cover band that split up aout a year ago.

When I go out and gig I run through a Laney channel switching amp, and we're playing the typical "drinking music for the over Forties" stuff, so I end up using just overdrive pedal that's set of low gain and the amp's channel switching for most of the night...

Man, I gotta rethink how I gig this rig, like by getting my Twin Reverb fixed or something :rolleyes:

9. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

Just trying to get a few laughs, guys.

But it really has been a recent revelation for me trying to maximize and experiment with various less expensive components than immediately assuming I need some piece of hand-made boutique gear in order to sound my best.

Probably like most of you there's that little niggling voice in the back of my mind saying "you know, if you would stop prowling ebay all night and just practice a little bit more you'd sound better no matter what gear you're playing through..."

But hey, it's FUN to try out different pedals. I'm not making a living at this or winning any prizes - I'm in it for the fun. It's fun to take delivery of some super duper expensive handmade box. And it's also fun to take something cheap-o that others may overlook and apply it in a creative way.

10. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

You need to have more expensive gear if you want to sound good, hehe! I love to use pedals that everyone else ISN'T using & have yet to find a pedal that was worth $200+, TO ME. I can understand the whole "boo-teek" movement,. I just don't subscribe to it. I've opened too many pedals & said, "that's it?"
    There was a time, many years ago, that I rid myself of all the "old stuff" & replaced it with newer pedals. Now, everybody's coming out with "improved clones" of these same pedals I sold for big bucks. I've since learned to trust my own ears & not get caught up in the "flavor of the month". At my age, the months fly by much quicker! I'm a sucker for a good deal(a miser) too & wouldn't be surprised if some of my pedals are "cloned" in 10-20 years.
    Buy & use what you like, that would be my advice. Play, ...don't worry![​IMG]
    Tony

11. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

Play what you like, and if it sounds good to you: screw all them naysayers (myself included at times)

12. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

wait a minute are you saying you already flipped the vibe I sold you a few weeks ago?