MY Pedalboard DIY Build

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikespe, Jul 1, 2008.

1. mikespe

mikespe Member

I know! I know! Not another DIY Pedalboard thread! But hey...WHY NOT!

I started with the Trailer Trash design (and several of the DIY's posted here!). Here is the finished bare board:

[​IMG]

Here is the underside of the bare board:

[​IMG]

Finished the covering which I did a not-so-good job with! It was the first time I ever did covering like this. But I plan on ordering some corners to cover some of my mistakes.

[​IMG]

Part 2 Below

2. mikespe

mikespe Member

I used floor tiles I found at Lowes for $0.88 a piece. I wanted to use sheet linoleum but I couldn't find a pattern I liked. The seems will partly be covered once I put pedals on the board:

[​IMG]

And another view:

[​IMG]

I still need to order some of the electronics parts like jacks and cables. I also need to mount my power source. I will post more pictures as I continue.

3. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

i like the tile idea. pretty cool!

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

The tiles looks sweet... Good job! Wonder how the tile is going to react to drilling if you are planning to put the power underneath....

5. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Nice job man, dig the faux marble.

How are you planning on holding down the pedals?

What angle did you use? Last one I built was only 5 degrees, but most Trailer Trash boards look like 10.

6. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

man i can't imagine how heavy that mother's gonna be when you get all your pedals on there with that tile! but who cares if it looks great right? :)

7. mikespe

mikespe Member

Thanks guys!

The tiles should hold up fine. They are used on floors and people drill through them for various reasons. I used 3M Super 77 glue on the board and the tiles were self-sticking so the bond is good. However, when I do drill I will gradually increase the hole size just in case. That should prevent any issues.

Most likely I will use velcro since it is the easiest. I made the board big enough to grow as I need to (28" x 16") but I am still trying new pedals so I want the versatility of velcro for now. Maybe someday I'll use a more permanent mount. As for the angle I am not really sure. The back of the board is 5 1/2" high and the front is 1 1/2" high if that helps.

One ting I wat to mention is that in the pictures the seems between the tiles show a lot. In person you can't see them as much.

8. mikespe

mikespe Member

The tile is VERY light vinyl tiles...they bend very easily and cut with scissors.

9. eric-d

eric-d Member

Ahhh... missed the part where they're vinyl - I thought they were the real deal.... VERY cool....

10. mikespe

mikespe Member

Here's an update on my pedalboard... The corner hardware just arrived today and I installed them. The board looks much better with them on. Yesterday I also installed the powerstrip. I used cable ties attached to cable staples/tacks (the white staples) to fasten the powerstrip. I also plotted out the staples for my pedal power source. I didn't attach it yet because I am still using it with my current set up. I have 2 locking jacks in the mail that will be my guitar in/out jacks. I also just ordered the CoreX2 cable kit today. I will attach the power source once I get everything. I still haven't decided how I will mount the pedals. I originally mentioned velcro but now I am undecided. If I can find bike chain links cheap enough I might use those. I don't want to buy longer bolts to got right to the pedal. What mounting option would you use?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 4styx

4styx Member

If you have a bike shop in your neighbourhood ask if you can use their chain breaker.They'll have lots of old chains just be carefull you don't screw up their chainbreaker or you'll be out $100.Let them soak overnight in paint thinner and you'll be good to go.

12. mikespe

mikespe Member

Well I have to GET a chain first. I know I can get a cheap one for like $10. I might check out Home Depot tomorrow to see if they have any alternatives. I checked Lowes today and didn't see much. They had replacement chain links but it was like $3.00 for 2 links.

13. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

very cool board!!
    Keep us updated...we're going to come back at some point
    and steal your ideas too, so more pictures would help. :D
    awesome ideas ya got going there!

14. mikespe

mikespe Member

Well since I couldn't play the guitar tonight because I sliced my finger I decided to start setting up my pedalboard. I strapped the power supply underneth (I'll take a picture of that later) and experimented with various pedal arrangements. I am still not totally happy with this layout but it's a start. I listed the chain order below the picture. Any LAYOUT suggestions are welcomed. I think I am set on the chain order since that is what I was using.

[​IMG]

Chain Order:

Guitar
    Uni-Comp
    Wah
    Shaky Jimi
    Chorus
    Dan-Echo (to input of the Boss NS-2)
    Boss NS-2
    EQ (from the output of the NS-2)
    Jamman
    Volume Pedal
    Amp

These pedals go to the effects loop of the Boss NS-2:
    Little Big Muff
    Hot Head
    Bad Monkey

15. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

Nice looking job thus far! Where did you buy the black plastic grommet for the power cord? (It looks like a furniture style one used on the tops of computer desks...)

16. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

looks good man... great build...

17. mikespe

mikespe Member

I got it from Lowes and yes it is used for desks, It had a swivel top or youy can pop the top right off

18. mikespe

mikespe Member

Well here is where I keep changing things until it talks to me. I added a hinged tier to the board. I can lift the tier up to access the pedals below, re-route cables, etc. I need to get a few more corners to finish it but I likethe idea. I also removed the volume pedal from the board itself. I really don't use it much and if I want to add it I can put it between the out jack of the board andthe amp. It would be off the board yet still accessable. I have a BBE Sonic Stomp due in today that will be added to the board as well. I may take the Fish-n-Chips EQ off then. If I understand the Sonic Stomp correctly it basically acts like an EQ anyway...however, I probably will keep the Fish-n-Chips on there for a clean boost.

Also, those metal things sticking out from some of the pedals are my feable attempt at making fasteners. It was while drilling one of these that I sliced my finger! I plan on removing them and going with plain old Velcro. I may order the real good Velcro from eBay this time. I usualy get the Industrial Strength Velcro locally but I heard good things about the online stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, until the NEXT change!

19. 4styx

4styx Member

The bike shop should have tons of old chains.

20. mikespe

mikespe Member

I tried there (THREE shops!)...no go...they wanted me to buy a new chain which was $25 and then another $14 for the chain breaker. There is one more bike shop I need to check. For now I am going with velcro. It's never failed me before and until I find a better alternative it'll work perfectly.