My pedalboard history in photos

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by marlev, Feb 8, 2012.

1. marlev

marlev Member

I was looking at the photos I had in my Photobucket account and noticed that my pedalboard morphed into a better looking board after every photo. It might be painful to look at the first photos, but it gets better!

This is the first pedal I ever got. I wanted a Metalzone for Christmas but my dad got me this instead! He told me the guy at the music store suggested the Jackhammer instead of the Metalzone because it sounded a lot better!
    [​IMG]

I played with the Jackhammer for years until I discovered Delay. Bought a DD-3 and I was also into Phasers and Flangers. My first real boutique pedal was the Fulltone GT-500. What the hell was I thinking putting that huge Boss footswitch on the board??? Ouch! I was running this board into a Peavey 5150.
    [​IMG]

I don't remember what happened between this photo and the previous... (I did buy a house just by looking at the floors! the ceramic was in my appartment haha!) I do remember trading the Fulltone GT-500 for the Musket. I traded the amp I had for a Line 6 SpiderValve thinking I could use the footswitch to cycle through the integrated effects. I also thought that delay into overdrive and fuzz was a good idea, until I tried it the other way. I got the Interstellar Overdriver on trade for a Phase 90! The DBA Interstellar Overdriver is definitely the one that got away.
    [​IMG]

Switched the order of the pedals, traded the DBA for my beloved AC Booster (love that pedal)! I got the Choralflange for modulation because the modulation on the Spidervalve sounded like crap and there was no room for tweaking the settings. I really liked the Aqua Puss at the time but I hated it at the same time for some reason.
    [​IMG]

So that's when I got my Carbon Copy delay. Sweeeet sounding unit for sure! Added another flavour of Overdrive, the orange box is a clone of a MXR Distortion+
    [​IMG]

And then, I started GASsing really hard for a MLjr. and some reverb. My girlfriend and I decided to hand paint the Dist+. Got rid of the Choralflange to fund my MLjr. and I don't have any modulation on the board.
    [​IMG]

And this is what I have today, still no modulation on the board. I might get a tremolo at some point. Also upgraded to the DC Power Brick (I had just a Godlyke Powerall before). Added a buffer (T1M mini buffer). I saw a guy selling some George Ls on Kijiji for a good price, might upgrade cables. I also got rid of the Line 6. Right now I'm running this board in a H&K Tubemeister 18! Some of you might wonder why I don't have a tuner on my board yet, it's because I'm using the Planetwave headstock tuner!
    [​IMG]

What should be my next step to enhance once again my board?

Thanks for looking!

2. Release

Release Member

Nice evolution! Thanks for sharing.

3. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

Reverb?

i love these board-evolution threads.
    "As knowledge increases, so does the size of one's pedalboard."

4. marlev

marlev Member

My ghost echo takes care of my reverb needs.

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Here's a quick and dirty.

First off, I didn't even start with a pedalboard. For almost 20 years I just stuffed these in a duffel bag - Compression, Fuzz, Dirt, Modulation/Delay:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And then I found TGP in 2007.

First was this thing:

[​IMG]

Fuzz, Wah, Dirt, EQ, Modulation/Delay, Reverb. The Pedalpower was a revelation - SO much better than wall warts on a power strip!

As you can see, it's like a perf board. Lotsa holes so you could thread zip ties through it. Fine if you're a "set and forget" guy, but a PAIN if you move your pedals around, or want them in just the right place - plus, you do go through quite a few ties. Also, no carry case or protective cover for DIY jobbies. So I graduated to the PT2:

[​IMG]

Just flashed the bottom so you can see the drillwork i did for the pedalpower brick there. No biggie, felt cool to bring out the dremel and all. I still use this board, but it's been getting small lately, and I don't want to get an even bigger board...so it's time to move the dirt to a Mini!

[​IMG]

Fuzz, Boost, Phase, Dirt, Modulation/Delay, Reverb's on the amp.

Yeah at first I was thinking "I'm going to mirror my big board, but put the essentials on the small board." That works if you need a small board to emergency move around town, but when you're just recording at home, why bother? Now it's more about specializing it just as the Dirt Board I think, that's my next move. Here's both, got an original Pedalpower for the Mini, I was thinking of moving the wah and the compressor off onto a PedalPad as the bridge between the dirt and modulation boards:

[​IMG]

And then I did it. Gave the mini away in a TGP contest, moved the wah onto a pedal pad, plus the fuzz and my comp (which pairs with the scratchy wah, which is still a Maestro Boomerang, but is the All-Test Devices version put out by the Boomerang's designer):

[​IMG]

The pedal pal was flat, great for the vertical angle of the wah but not so great for the 2nd row pedals. Plus, the wah was way over there, and I wanted to angle it a bit in. So I took the wah off the board so i could twist it towards my feet, and put wood blocks in the 2nd tier of the pedal pal for that back row. Bingo, my current config:

[​IMG]

Fuzz, Wah, Comp, Phase, Buffer, Distortion, OD, Boost, Loop (Chorus, Vibrato, Flanger, Modulation Delay, Tremolo), Volume, Analog Delay, Reverb on Amp.

Then late last year I had the chance to pick up a 1965 Guild Starfire VI project, and to fund it I had to sell something. So goodbye AD80, KotB, RAT, Phase 90, Compressor and COT50. At the very end of the year I sold the Sunface and MKIII and got a Sunlion - man, I really like the treble booster on that thing! No pic of the decimated board right now but yeah, this is the first time in a while that I actually took pedals off instead of added them on. It also gave me the room to put the vol and wah pedals right next to each other on the board, so no more doing splits.