My Pedalboard - Hold On !!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, May 17, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

Now, I'm not here to bash those of you who own hundreds of pedals on 10 different pedal boards. I'm a gigging guitarist and play just about every weekend. Two to three shows. I'm not a tap dancer, I'm a guitarist. That's why I use the Boss GT-6. Have used it for years. It has 25 different effects..That would be 25 pedals.. In addition, a tuner, wah, and volume pedal. And, I pre-program...That means I hit ONE BUTTON and I'm there with all the combinations you could ask for. From Pink Floyd, to Judas Priest, etc..you get the picture. I also, have a Zendrive, Jetter, and Signa Drive mounted outside the Pedalboard. And, I run a stereo rig for thse W I D E Stereo Field Delays, Choruses, etc. Not bashing, just one man's approach to playing rather than dancing.
    [​IMG]

2. vulcaniza P

vulcaniza P Member

real proud of ya.
    i myself have often thought of getting the gt-8.
    once i have the dough i just may do it.
    till then i'll nickel and dime away my time with all types of pedals.

3. guitarman1956

For the price you'll pay for 2 or three pedals, you can get a GT-6, and a sandwich.

4. guitarman1956

You are comparing apples to oranges there OLECTRIC: You don't tap through pedals on the GT to find what you're looking for, while playing live. You set down with the GT-6, at home...Pre-program what you need, then playing live, step on one pedal. Surely NO ONE would DARE try to find all this board has to offer, on the fly and in front of an audience.

5. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I can't stand the programming part. that's the main reason i stay away from units like this, rack effects, and even things like the eventide timefactor. No doubt any of the above are high quality units though. congrats on finding a solution that works for you.

6. teardropexplode

teardropexplode Member

I only use fuzz and dirt pedals. My friend has a GT-8, the dirt settings on it are awful. Think i'll stick to having 5 or so individual fuzz/boost/dist pedals

7. Brian Chan

Brian Chan Member

For some small club gig, I will use GT8 with one of the OD/Dist pedal in the GT-8 loop (e.g GT-500, Box of Rock)..

Bypass the preamp section and use the effect only...It sounds very good and nice.

8. GDking

GDking Member

Yeah and the day after you eat the sandwich the same thing will come out of you as will the GT-6 so it all comes together full circle.

9. Grap

Grap Member

I just went for an ME-50.It's pretty much the perfect compromise.I just wish it switched patches faster though...

Most pros in this part of the world run with a Boss GT-something or a POD based rig. Patch tweaking becomes a full-time occupation.

10. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Not bashing, just one man's approach to playing rather than dancing.<<

What, you got a thing about dancing? ;)

11. lxm

lxm Member

Those things sound VERY yuck and 80's IMO. :RoCkIn

12. Alter

Alter Member

having tried a lot of these solutions, i found the best to be the tonelab le. but its still a huge compromise sound-wise and feel-wise. i ended up using the tonelab when i absolutely need the programmability and the few effects my pedals can't cover. or when i don't want to carry an amp (allthough i feel sansamp+pedals direct = better tone yet)..

13. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

I went from a small pedalboard, to a Pod 2.0, to a GT-6 and back to pedals again..

biggest cons for the GT-6 where the 'processed tone', which resulted from not enough time spent programming patches..
    Just like mixing a recorded drumset, combining 'optimal' setting on separate blocks, resulted in a washy sound.. Key to programming Multi-fx, are spending time with each module, and making sure the fx-blocks are matched with the other ones (+ your additional gear)..
    I found it intuitive, but cumbersome programming all in all.. Not to say that I've heard GREAT tones coming from GT's...

Now I've got a hybrid form I'm quite satisfied with;
    - Musicom EFX mk II (musicom.co.kr) with a basic setup: wah, boost, OD, phase, delay/echo and EQ and MIDI; that way I can have 'patches' of separate boxes, while always having a hands-on tweak-possibility when changing amps/guitars/gear... this is really flexible and intuitive IMHO..

- Rocktron Replifex combined with the pedalboard for '80s' wishy-washy sounds, or fusion/jazz lightly chorussed sounds + lead delay's (in FX-loop)
    the Rocktron can also switch channels on my amp, when changing presets..

I can use the Musicom-board like a modular 'multieffects', having a wealth of sound options with a 2/3 channel amp...
    Or I could use the Replifex +channel switching for a compact 1u 19" setup with a 2/3channel amp (with a simple midi controller)

- a separate 3+tuner+tb-looper pedal allows me to get great tones with any good amp (Boss DD-5, Boss TR-2 + Arion SCH-1).. not even using the Replifex..

It might look extreme, but the 3 separate pieces of gear allow me to go from a 3pedal + 3 channel setup, to an multi-fx like setup where channelswitching is all done with just ONE stomp...

14. B Bent

B Bent Supporting Member

I enjoy tap dancing!

15. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I've used rack units and floor processors, but there's something about the allure of a standalone pedal. I've learned that by using a two-looper, I can send one out to my dirt pedals and one to the modulation units. The only "tap dancing" I do during the song is to turn the looper on or off (one of two switches). On the pedalboard below, my one expendable unit is the Harmonist. I have a bunch of pedals back at the ranch that I trade out for this one depending on the type of music we're playing.
    [​IMG]

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Kudos to you. I would love to get something like a GT-10, but I have no need for it. My board covers every type of tone I feel that I need.

I am seriously considering an ME-50B for the bass, though, if I find one for $200 or less

BTW, One of our knowledgeable forum members here (Scott Peterson?) swears by the radial dragster in front of any MFX. For $40, there is no reason to not test those waters......