My pedalboard is a "No Velcro" zone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by POD Buster, Jul 31, 2006.

1. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

I have never liked the idea of sticking Velcro on my pedals. I like my pedals to be rock solid and I also want maximize its resale value so I avoid using the hook & loop thing altogether. I use one of two methods for attaching pedals to my board....

1) Screwing in a eye screw into the board on each side of the pedal then running a tie wrap through the eyes and across the pedal. This is the quickest method and allows interchangability.
    2) Fabricating a base plate out of aluminum, G10, or phenolic that attaches to the bottom of the pedal and then attaching the assembly to the pedalboard. This creates the "ears" that are needed to bolt the pedal down to the board. I do this with Boss pedals because they are still interchangeable due to having the same hole pattern. This method requires more work but results in the most secure solution.

This is the one biggest thing I think ALL pedal builders overlook in their designs. :BITCH How hard would it be to offer ears that screw into the side of the box or optional baseplates that allow a bolt-down solution?

2. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'd bet that super-heavy duty magnets would work really well for most pedals that aren't made of plastic (sorry, Danelectro)... Maybe that would mess up the sound?

I would rather use tie wraps on the pedals than screw ears onto them for putting them on a pedalboard, but then again I don't have a huge problem with velcro.

3. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Interesting thought. Maybe an expert can tell us how a magnetic field might effect stomp box electronics.

-

4. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

I don't mind 2" industrial velcro. I've used the bicycle chain thing, and plastic zip ties as well.

I have some extra metal bottoms from Boss pedals that I have ripped the rubber bottom off of. I apply the velcro directly to the metal. Makes for improved contact between the bottom of the pedal and the board, without destrying the bottom of every pedal.

5. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

someone on another pedalboard thread mentioned having the problem of the rubber under pedals, there was a reply of taking the bottom plate off and tuning it around so you would have a flat, totally metal side to do what you wanted to fix the pedal to the board (velco, screws...ect)- when you wanted to get replace that pedal, flip the bottom plate around again like it had never been used-

6. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I don't want to stick velcro on my pedals either, though I never sell them or anything. I just don't want to deface them. Yeah, silly, but there it is. Sometimes I can't fall asleep because I keep thinking "there HAS to be a way". For now, I carry my pedals in a couple of Zebra cases and just put them on the floor. Which isn't good either.

7. Craise

Craise Member

This is this best way I've found for smaller pedals.
    Get the longest Velcro Cable ties you can...and wrap them up!
    Be sure to get the wide part on the bottom and thread it through the opening. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude

8. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

I've never seen that before. Do they stay on thatway?

9. Craise

Craise Member

Yes, they stay on pretty good. But not as tight as a full strip. (which can be too much really) You could always put another on below the switch.
    I also have foam in the lid of my NYC pedalboard.
    Mostly tho, I've been using this small plastic Radio Shack case for a pedal board these days. All batteries but the delay... Small light weight...one power cord.
    It's all I need really...I place a piece of foam on top of the pedals and don't even use velcro.
    :dude:dude:dude:dude
    [​IMG]

10. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

cool, what is the Radio Shack case called that you have?

11. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I just use a thin piece of plywood, lay out the pedals, drill small holes and run nylon tie wraps around the pedals and under the board.

12. Craise

Craise Member

I bought it at a thrift store many years ago. It was $3 and empty.
    Not sure what came it in or if it was sold empty.
    I would think the rondo cases would be about the same...
    thin,lightweight, one level... Might even be better?
    http://www.rondomusic.net/pedalcases.html
    I have two NYC pedalboards and use them as needed for different bands and depending on the gig size. But mostly this small board is all I need.
    :AOK