My pedals are now banned.

Blingdogg

Does anyone else really lose focus sometimes by having all these pedals around? I literally haven't been able to play guitar for over 2 weeks now...all I've been doing is fiddling with my pedals and effects chain, and tweaking amp settings this whole time.

I'd set aside an hour to play a day, and I'd actually play a song for 5 minutes the whole time...the rest of the time, I'd be messing with my pedals, but not in a fun way.

I vow to put aside all my pedals for a week or so, except my Hendrix fuzz face, and focus on my playing. The phaser, trem, vibe and the other pedals got to go.

Does anyone else get frustrated and distracted by their pedalboard?

jimtaka

If I didn't constantly have new pedals/gear to mess with then I would have to spend more time playing... which in turn would make myself painfully aware of how bad I suck. :)

ZachariahG

i am constantly inspired by the gadgets on my board. but there are people that play with no pedals at all and they are fantastic at that. the pedals that i have selected help me continuously write better guitar parts, if your pedals don't do that, then maybe your search isn't over, or maybe you shouldn't be over complicating it with more than a couple. whatever helps you play better.

Kind of Blued

My problem is that I can't make a lot of the sounds that I want to make without the proper equipment. I know what those sounds are, and I know what to do on the fretboard to make those sounds, but I'm having trouble finding the equipment necessary to translate the finger movements into the sounds.

JeffOlson

I, too, get frustrated with pedals, especially when I spend a lot of time fiddling with them. Sometimes it is just better to grab an acoustic or plug straight into an amp!

I LOVE pedals, but they can really be a distraction.

nrvana8775

For me, messing with pedals is part of the journey of finding "my" sound. I'm not a huge Edge fan, but I appreciate his perspective on effects.

I can get away with just a delay and some distortion, but there are sounds that I hear, and trying to figure out how to achieve those is integral to my development.

Jules-RM

It's definitely a learning curve. I've done WAY too much tweaking with settings and pedals.

At this point however, I'm 99% satisfied. I've owned about 3 pedals on my board more than once, and looking for my 3rd Musket.

If you tweak one particular pedal a lot and spend most of the time not being satisfied, it's probably not the pedal for you.

Jim Moulton

Brad Paisley sounded really different playing the Ryman without his rig, on one song, it sounded like he was really struggling to get the tone he wanted, it sounded dry. His pedals got ruined in the flood, so did all of his guitars but 2, and most all of his amps and road show stuff.
He really sounded pretty good, just playing thru a Dr Z with just one pedal on top, looked like a borrowed Bosss CS3

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
Does anyone else really lose focus sometimes by having all these pedals around? I literally haven't been able to play guitar for over 2 weeks now...all I've been doing is fiddling with my pedals and effects chain, and tweaking amp settings this whole time.

I'd set aside an hour to play a day, and I'd actually play a song for 5 minutes the whole time...the rest of the time, I'd be messing with my pedals, but not in a fun way.

I vow to put aside all my pedals for a week or so, except my Hendrix fuzz face, and focus on my playing. The phaser, trem, vibe and the other pedals got to go.

The answer is:
Get a small practice modeling amp or processor and use that for practice. It'll give the the basic sounds you need and you won't spend all your time tweaking.

Plug in your pedal board the day before a gig, go through it and get the best sounds you can. Then you're good to go!

I've got a SCXD which is a great tool- good sounds, decent effects and gets plenty loud for practice.

zachman

I figure it's just a matter of time management. There's a time to practice, jam, rehearse, write and perform... Just as there's a time to learn to use the gear that we utilize to bring our sonic visions to life. :idea

There's plenty of time for all of it. REALLY, there is.

Ed Reed

I set my pedals aside too, except for the delay. The delay and the OD. Well the delay the OD and a chorus. Wait, the delay, the OD and.. er

:jo

BrianWampler

personally, I think you just have chosen the wrong pedals for your needs, or rig. a great pedal should inspire you to play more/better/differently - not make you frustrated because you are trying to dial it in.

gobseulmuhri

a big lesson i learned is that you have to appreciate the pedal for what it is and work with it. they sometimes won't get you exactly what you want, but it doesn't mean that there aren't very good sounds in there.

i used to spend hours and hours trying to get that specific sound i wanted to hear out of my rig. then i realized that my rig is not the edge's. it's limited.

sometimes it works out and i can get a sound that's very close to what i hear in my head. but lately i've just been fiddling with my pedals to get something that catches my attention and working with that. it's actually helped my creative process a lot.

clc12rock

Gold Supporting Member
I get sick of having gear laying all over my condo more than anything. I need to unload a bunch, but just have little motivation to do so. But I want a new bed, and selling 10 or so pedals will really help pay for it. But I still REALLY enjoy putting boards together, layering pedals, making cables, etc. Almost as much as I do playing. I like to sit on the ground near my board and play some, tweak, play some, find something I like, then stand up and rawk out.

guitargeek83

Once all the Crap is worked out, like signal chain, minimal tone loss through the board, correct mA's per pedal, its great! Maybe your still treadging through this??? I LOVE the options at my feet and feel challenged to utilize every aspect of each pedal and what it can do. I wouldn't know what to do with out my pedal board.

mike361

buy 4-5 pedals and stick with them. Get high end stuff, and make them work. I know it is fun to find new stuff, but try to stick with what you have. Mine are a Skreddy pig mine, Very versitile even though most think it is a floyd only pedal, A Wampler pinnacle 2 for the brown sound, It again is not just a brown pedal. I prefer less compressed plexi dist. vs the modern high gain. These are my color pedals and can get all the sounds out of them that I like. Then just a compresser, chorus, and delay. Usually playing through a clean amp. I have a friend that had the same problem tweaking all the time and never happy. Same advice I gave him and he sold off all the pedals except the main ones that had to keep. Some love the tweaking and some don't, If you do not then limit your options.

thebard42

Silver Supporting Member
For me isn't not an issue of finding a good sound, the problem is I have too many good sounds. This causes a musical ADD and therefore nothing important gets accomplished. That's why I have been trying to practice with the acoustic.

zachman

a big lesson i learned is that you have to appreciate the pedal for what it is and work with it. they sometimes won't get you exactly what you want, but it doesn't mean that there aren't very good sounds in there.

i used to spend hours and hours trying to get that specific sound i wanted to hear out of my rig. then i realized that my rig is not the edge's. it's limited.

sometimes it works out and i can get a sound that's very close to what i hear in my head. but lately i've just been fiddling with my pedals to get something that catches my attention and working with that. it's actually helped my creative process a lot.
The big lesson I learned is-- use the right tool for the job. This of course requires that one knows what they're after in the first place.

Trending Topics