My pedals are now banned.

I avoid this by playing classical guitar. It's a great escape from electric - I don't have to worry about amps, cables, pedals and whatever other electronics.

jfusion10

i am constantly inspired by the gadgets on my board.
:agree
Whenever I get a new pedal I always come up with sounds using that pedal that would've sounded bland without the pedal. I have made several songs that would've sounded like balloon juice without certain pedals because it was me finding the sound I like on my pedals and creating a cool riff. Give it a shot. Try not to fiddle. For me i was lucky to find one setting I like with all my pedals. Delay to one repeat, Phaser at a Uni-Vibe sound, Ring Mod tuned to an E note on my guitar and my OCD for a Lead Boost. :)

Blingdogg

Thanks again for the replies everyone. I thought I'd take a break, but yesterday decided to change the strings on my guitar and strip down to just my Fuzz Face and auto-wah. Having just those bare effects, and using just my guitar volume knob to control my dirt felt so liberating. I felt a bit more inspired yesterday.

Like some of you mentioned, pedals often help me creatively, and I can write songs I wouldn't have thought of if I didn't have the pedals, and they do spice things up. I think what was distracting was that I got so many new pedals in just a short space of time and trying them all out got distracting.

What I'm going to do is keep just my fuzz and wah for a while, then slowly add back more pedals that I think I really need. And I'm listening to different music now, I find that helps. And learning new techniques and licks will help too.

I was burnt out from playing so many hours in a day, so I'll also cut that down. Maybe less time on guitar forums will do me some good too...

muffinman

Gold Supporting Member
out of curiosity, how many hours a day are you practicing? sometimes you can overdo it. space helps.

addisonnyle

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely have been trying to use my stuff lately as more of a tool than a crutch. It's killing me that I can't play as well as I know I should know how to play when I want to play with the things that are suppose to make me play better when I play.......

Honestly I haven't had the desire to change a thing in the past 4 months. I've found that my good base is covered (OD's and things). And now it's just tweaking the delays, which is endless, but keeping a certain pedalboard forces you to use the space you have to the best of its ability. Another thing that really helps is getting attached to the pedals you have. I can't imagine selling 7 of the 8 I have. But when it comes down to it, if I can't play... then I'm not going to get better. So it comes down to me putting my mind to it! And just playing! Whether it sounds good or not :D

zachman

I definitely have been trying to use my stuff lately as more of a tool than a crutch. It's killing me that I can't play as well as I know I should know how to play when I want to play with the things that are suppose to make me play better when I play.......

Honestly I haven't had the desire to change a thing in the past 4 months. I've found that my good base is covered (OD's and things). And now it's just tweaking the delays, which is endless, but keeping a certain pedalboard forces you to use the space you have to the best of its ability. Another thing that really helps is getting attached to the pedals you have. I can't imagine selling 7 of the 8 I have. But when it comes down to it, if I can't play... then I'm not going to get better. So it comes down to me putting my mind to it! And just playing! Whether it sounds good or not :D
It's NOT that having 'the stuff/gear' makes you better player. It doesn't. What it DOES do is-- either provide you inspiration that you feel and play in the moment, or it doesn't. When you LOVE the sound your gear gives you, and are free - not- hindered by it, your playing is free too, and when you're happy with your sound and your playing, you're likely to play more, and strive continually higher than where you are in the moment--and THAT is what will make you a better player.

Sometimes you'll play good, and other times- not so much, but you'll usually have the results you want, when you get 'Your' ULTIMATE gear and take the time to learn to use it.

It's just a matter of prioritizing; Funds, time management, determination, perseverance, and resources-- (The gear) that allows it all to happen.

Play/Practice Times

Personal Practice time
Jamming/Improv time
Rehearsal time w/ your band (if applicable)
Jamming/Improv time w/ your band (if applicable)
Writing time

Study Time

Music Theory
Orchestration
Composition/Arranging
Engineering time, is what I call it- Used to listen to, learn and understand what equipment is used to create and capture the sounds that you find inspiring, (what you're interested in-- to start, helps the task seem a bit less boring, which it can be at times) --

Free Time

Trending Topics