My Pedaltrain Mini power-mod (25 pics!)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by geiristudio, May 14, 2011.

1. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

Hi,

I bought a Pedaltrain mini a few months ago and I've been inspired to mod it and put the power adapter under the board. Some of the guys here have made some really good looking mods so here's my stab at it:

1. Here's what I'm starting with. Pedaltrain Mini, power adapter (taken apart), power plug, some kind of elastic tape (with no sticky side) and a modified screwdriver (for the power adapter).
    [​IMG]

2. Pedaltrain marked out and ready to cut out for the power plug. See the "Kókó Mjólk" drink ? It's an Icelandic cocoa drink which is very popular and good :D
    [​IMG]

3. Started drilling!
    [​IMG]

4. The rough hole is ready and then I sanded the edges to make the plug fit properly.
    [​IMG]

5. Holes ready and the plug fits nicely!
    [​IMG]

6. Moved to the kitchen and here you see various stuff.
    [​IMG]

7. Wiring up the power plug. I'm using a cable from a broken lamp and some rubber hoses which I heat up and shrink to give the solder a better hold.
    [​IMG]

8. See how the short rubber hoses shrink around the wiring ?
    [​IMG]

9. I used the elastic tape (with no sticky side!) and kind of stretch it around the wiring. It has a pretty good hold.
    [​IMG]

10. Fitting the plug with wires and threading the cables through the hole in the center piece.
    [​IMG]

11. Here's how it looks from above
    [​IMG]

12. Rough fitting of the power adapter
    [​IMG]

13. Because I removed the main pins from the power adapter, I drilled a new hole to thread the wires through.
    [​IMG]

14. Here's where I soldered the new wires into the power adapter.
    [​IMG]

15. Just looking at the whole thing almost coming together
    [​IMG]

16. Checking if the connections are right and definitely show 9 volts. The meter showed 9.14v so it's okay.
    [​IMG]

More in the next post!

2. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

17. Finished product from above and then a few more shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-------

Here's the board with my current pedal setup. I just got the Cmatmods Super Signa Drive and I love it! I'm still waiting for my GFS Tuner to arrive and replace the Behringer. I'm also waiting for a Dirty Bird Screamer Boost to arrive and try it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking and the inspiration! Feel free to comment and please, if you have any good ideas for me, don't hesitate to tell me!

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

4. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

Thanks, can you see all the photos ? I'm looking at this in forum runner on my iPhone and the first 10 photos (hosted on cloud) show but the rest (hosted on mobileme) don't show.

Please let me know if the pics aren't working!

5. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

All pics work. Nice job mate!

6. ping panic

ping panic Member

7. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

8. joepopp

joepopp Member

9. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

Yeah I saw your mod and it's very nice! My idea was heavily based on yours. I thought about doing the plug thing so I could swap the power but then my power adapter is more than 1300mA and it's quiet so I don't think I'll do that. I'm considering making a box like you did around the power input.

I'm considering putting some kind of LED lighting underneath. Not sure how it will look but I'm gonna try and see how it looks!

10. curmudgeon

curmudgeon Member

Very nice work, i'll leave this here ;):

11. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Why is this any different than plugging a one spot into the wall and using a daisy chain? Seems like unnecessary complication.

12. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

This is very different. Try it, you'll feel the difference.

Now I don't need to carry the power supply around. It stays put and will last longer. Personally, I find it easier and more convenient to just plug the power cable to the board (which is a thicker and longer cable) and everything is ready.

But, people have different opinions and I respect that.

13. johann

johann Member

nice work, all pics working.

14. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

Hahaha good one! :D

15. SonicBlue61

SonicBlue61 Member

I just feel like I have to chime in on a few safety issues.

Using the shrink wrap is a good thing, but if you run mains power (120V) and mount it to a metal chasis (your board), you should attach the safety ground (third plug) to the metal chassis. It's safety against electrocution. Especially considering you opened up a switching-power supplies, which can be very dangerous in itself (more later). Electronics that don't use the safety ground are typically mounted to a non-conductive chassis like the power-all itself.

Running AC power under your board could add noise. If you stick with this set up, try to keep your couplers at right angles to the power. Not a huge issue, but if you have a loop in your cable near the mains, you will pick up noise.

I wouldn't open up a switching-power supply like this. These supplies kick up the voltage to very high DC levels (DC is more dangerous than AC too) before they drop them down to 9V. They also have a tendency to fail catastrophically. Having this open circuit anywhere near your board can be very dangerous. If you do want to continue with this setup, please consider using a PowerAll that is factory sealed.

I'm not trying to be a nerd here. I'm concerned with your safety and the safety of anyone copying this thread.

Furthermore, something to consider, if you have an opened power supplies in your house, and your house burns down, you could have insurance problems. If the fire marshal finds this opened supply (or any modified power supplies), even if they aren't plugged in, and he writes it up, the insurance company may use this against you to not pay out. It's not worth losing your home.

I just wanted to say something in case you had not considered some of these factors. Take care.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  16. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

Thanks for the concern but everythigs closed up good and will probably not fail. I've tried it and it does not pick up any noise. I opened up the power supply to replace the wires and lead the out. I then closed it and sealed so that shouldn't be a problem. My father assisted me and he's very good with electric stuff (although not an electrician).

These electrics do not need ground but I sure will take a closer look at the option. I'm sure I don't need to connect a ground wire.

17. SonicBlue61

SonicBlue61 Member

You mention a few things there that are concerning. "Probably not fail" and "he's very good with electric stuff (although not an electrician)." These lines show you're not 100% certain you know what you are doing.

You have the right to choose to ignore me, but as an engineer I feel like I should firmly disagree. If you don't believe me, consider reading this thread.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=82234.0

The guy with user handle R.G. works for Visual Sound and he works with the One-Spot. He explains how dangerous these supplies are and how they can kill you. Voltage inside can be as high as 350VDC.

IMO it's not worth doing what you are doing unless you are well educated not only in electronics, but in the area of switching-power supplies. I'm going to quote the most important part of the thread I linked.

At a minimum if you still want to mount a one-spot to your board in the style you have chosen, just attach the safety ground and use an unopened one-spot.

18. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

Thank you for the concern and pointing this clearly out to me. I will not ignore you. You've convinced me to contact a friend of mine who is a very good electrician (builds amps, pedals and stuff) and he'll assist me in making the board safe.

Thanks again!

19. geiristudio

geiristudio Member

Here's an update. I added a blue LED strip underneath the board for the fun of it. I'm about to ground the power soon to make it safe. I talked to my friend who is very skilled with electrics and he told me that everything's fine and the things that were posted here before *could* happen but are very very unlikely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed the LED's made a nice reflection on my Strat so I took a photo of it.

20. SonicBlue61

SonicBlue61 Member

That's why it's called an accident.

Proceed AYOR

Last edited: May 22, 2011