My Phase 90 is a Bad Actor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rich_S, May 4, 2015.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Member

I love my '74 RI Phase 90 (CSP-026). It has that classic phaser sound and gets it without a lot of fiddly knobs. It looks cool, and it's (basically) what the cool kids with more money than me had when I was in high school in the late '70s.

On the other hand, it simply does not play well with its neighbors on my pedalboard. I put in a 3PDT for true bypass right after I got it. That gets it out of the way when I'm not using it, but the change in impedance switching it in and out can cause some interesting problems. I realized long ago that it really needs a buffer after it, so now I make sure that no matter what, I have a Boss pedal immediately downstream. That helps minimize the tone suck problems.

Now this morning, I realized I was hearing a "thump" through my amp, in time to the Phase 90's clock. Thump, thump, thump, thump, thump... as long as it's switched on. The thump goes away when I switch it off.

My boards not that complicated: Pitchblack -> Rat -> BB Preamp -> Phase 90 -> CE-2 -> BF-3 -> DD-3 -> MS-50G -> Amp. Each pedal is powered by an isolated output from my PP2+.

I swear, it's one thing after another with this pedal. If I could get my MS-50G to do a decent imitation of the Phase 90 (see post #319), I'd toss the orange box off the island.

2. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

Try placing your Ph90 before your Rat.

3. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

Unplug the Pitchblack and see if it does the same thing. When inserted in my chain, the PB sometimes causes issues with mod pedals. It's only within the last year or so that my PB started doing this.

4. sleewell

sleewell Member

i love my phase 90. its the newer one, got it for 45 bucks.

my pedalboard is all before the amp: pitchblack, fuzzhugger algal bloom, phase 90, eqd organizer and dispatch master.

i don't notice any of the issues you are talking about. :dunno

5. Rich_S

Rich_S Member

I should have mentioned the thump occurs even when no other effects are on, just the Phase 90.

What would putting the 90 before the (paisley) Rat accomplish? All three top-row effects are true bypass, and I know from experience having TB boxes downstream of the Phase 90 cause all sorts of impedance-mismatch problems, depending on which TB boxes are switched in or out. I never truly understood Pete Cornish's white paper on True Bypass until I started messing around with the Phase 90's position in my chain.

[​IMG]

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Phasers are kinda like fuzz and wah in that they like to be first in line. Not sure what you are experiencing if you true bypass effects before the phase90 all switched off.
    If you did the 3pdt switch mod yourself, is there a chance that a wisp of solder splatter got where I shouldn't be and is causing impedance issues? Have you tested the patch cables with a meter?

7. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Is your phase 90 a bad actor, or is it just the script?

Mine sits before my drive pedals as it sounds more univibey to me that way.
    I modded mine probably 15 years ago. Haven't ran into any unpleasant artifacts from chain placement or power selection.

8. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

You can try slightly adjusting the bias trimpot in the phase-90, it might kill the bumping noise.

9. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

You're a card. You ought to be dealt with.