My Pick for Best Value Gibson! (SG Special Demo)

zeppelinpage4

Apologies for the click baity title. I made a video going over my Gibson SG Special and thought it might be helpful for anyone thinking of getting one. With the price increases recently, I think this may be one of the best values from their line up…at least the pelham blue and sparkling burgundy still available at the old price. I go over some of the nicer features and tones and compare it to other models. But for $1500 (and some store have 15% discounts on top), getting a case, fully bound neck, hand wiring, and nitro finish makes this a pretty good deal to me at least.

Being discontinued, I thought these pelham blue and sparkling burgundy SG specials were gone for good but I was surprised to find my 2021 SG special on the rack in the store recently and I believe there’s still some remaining left over stock in shops. So I just wanted to let people know it’s still out there but probably not for long.

zeppelinpage4

Watching vid right now, even though I'm already sold on this model, lol.
My local shop had both in a few months ago, both gone now :(
Thanks monty. Always appreciate you checking out my vids. :beer

Oh man, sorry to hear they’re gone already. :( I remember being so bummed when I saw these were out of stock and didn’t find mine yet. If you have some other shops within driving distance, might be worth calling in case they have some left. I wasn’t expecting to find mine but they just happened to have some left.

But I’m sure if a new one doesn’t pop up, there will be more coming up on the second hand market soon, and I see them come up in the Gibson Demo Shop once in a while too. And those are an even better deal.

zeppelinpage4

The only best value Gibson is the one that makes the most money for Gibson. They don't have any best values for the buyers.
I would disagree. Yes, Gibson’s are expensive, and other brands like Eastman can produce a better guitar for the money. But very few brands hold their value as well as a Gibson, especially a used one. I bought a Les Paul studio second hand last year and easily moved it for what I paid. And I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with the few that I’ve owned. I’ll never buy a brand new historic, but I’ve managed to find some Gibson USA models used or on sale with a discount and never felt like I overpaid.

Last edited:

crashbelt

Silver Supporting Member
Don't know about new SGs. But vintage SG Soecials are the best deal out there even in this stupidly inflated market. My 62 is my goto gigging guitar - just great guitar.

Attachments

• 20201113_081642.jpg
    20201113_081642.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 21

BigDoug1053

Gold Supporting Member
Les Paul and SG Specials with P90s are not only great values, they are awesome classic guitars. Carlos Santana and Frank Zappa made some great tones with P90s. My first electric was a '61 SG Special, and it was a great guitar...

zeppelinpage4

Don't know about new SGs. But vintage SG Soecials are the best deal out there even in this stupidly inflated market. My 62 is my goto gigging guitar - just great guitar.
I love my pelham blue one, but wow that’s a gorgeous SG. Can’t beat a classic aged cherry finish. I’m fortunate to have a vintage guitar dealer nearby, almost picked up a mid 60’s SG Junior from them a while back. Was surprised to see them sell for about the same price as a Custom Shop model. Might go back and try it again now.
Les Paul and SG Specials with P90s are not only great values, they are awesome classic guitars. Carlos Santana and Frank Zappa made some great tones with P90s. My first electric was a '61 SG Special, and it was a great guitar...
Well said and agreed.
Price aside, it’s definitely a great guitar all around. And the tones from those greats says it all. In the right hands, a p90 equipped Gibson is really something special. I didn’t appreciate p90’s until recently, but now know what I’ve been missing. Pretty cool you got to play the real deal, would love to try an original vintage special. I got to play a mid 60’s SG Junior which was really fun.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I know I may sound like 'that guy' for saying this, but although I love P-90s, I decidedly don't like them in SGs. Maybe something about the pickup spacing or thin body, who knows.

OTOH, I love them in LPs. A match made in heaven IMO.

BlackSG91

I have a 90's Gibson SG Special but I did order and recieved a Gibson P94 pickup for the bridge position because I think that P90 sound is raw and unsanitized. I'm looking forward to having uncontrolled feedback & squeal. :crazy

UndIzuv.jpeg

IMG_20220112_233559232_HDR~2.jpg

zeppelinpage4

I know I may sound like 'that guy' for saying this, but although I love P-90s, I decidedly don't like them in SGs. Maybe something about the pickup spacing or thin body, who knows.

OTOH, I love them in LPs. A match made in heaven IMO.
I do notice a difference in tone between my SG special and LP Junior. I like them both for different reasons but can definitely see why you would prefer the LP sound.
I have a 90's Gibson SG Special but I did order and recieved a Gibson P94 pickup for the bridge position because I think that P90 sound is raw and unsanitized. I'm looking forward to having uncontrolled feedback & squeal. :crazy

UndIzuv.jpeg

View attachment 544083
That’s pretty cool! I gotta admit, I never tried or knew about the p94. I’m doing some mods to my old epiphone Les Paul, might look into installing one of these to get a different flavor of sound.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
I do notice a difference in tone between my SG special and LP Junior. I like them both for different reasons but can definitely see why you would prefer the LP sound.
And of course the player matters too ... you sound a lot better than me playing it, so there's that as well. :aok

Steadfastly

I would disagree. Yes, Gibson’s are expensive, and other brands like Eastman can produce a better guitar for the money. But very few brands hold their value as well as a Gibson, especially a used one. I bought a Les Paul studio second hand last year and easily moved it for what I paid. And I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with the few that I’ve owned. I’ll never buy a brand new historic, but I’ve managed to find some Gibson USA models used or on sale with a discount and never felt like I overpaid.

They don't hold their value. They hold their "price". They hold their price because so many people buy wanting that name on the headstock because some notion it makes them or the guitar better. That is utter nonsense if we are calling a spade a spade.

zeppelinpage4

They don't hold their value. They hold their "price". They hold their price because so many people buy wanting that name on the headstock because some notion it makes them or the guitar better. That is utter nonsense if we are calling a spade a spade.
Even if it’s just a spade. It’s a popular spade and demand is there. To me, value is partly dictated by the quality of the product but also by demand for that product. Whatever the quality, there’s clearly a market for it and demand is there, and that gives it added monetary value. If demand dropped, they’d sell for less. And I don’t buy it thinking it makes me a better player. I’ve never heard a single Gibson owner utter some delusion like that. And you prob don’t care for it, but the headstock and name brand is something I like and value. Does it make the guitar better? No. But it’s a brand with a cool history and you pay for that. There’s a reason Mercedes, BMW, and other luxury brands still sell and it’s not because those cars are more reliable or better quality than a Honda or Toyota. It’s the branding. I even said in my last post guys like Eastman can prob make a better guitar. But I’d rather get a Gibson and based on the market, seems many players would. And personally, most Gibsons I’ve played have been fantastic guitars, I liked the sound, playability and looks. The name on the headstock is just icing on the cake, I wouldn’t buy one if I didn’t like the guitar itself. Maybe I’m not skilled enough to pick up on the flaws but I haven’t found any major issues with them.

Also I think you missed the point of my OP. I never once put Gibson ahead of other brands or companies in my video. I was comparing this SG Special to other Gibson guitars in that price range. Relative to those, I believe it to be a better value. If you don’t like Gibson at all, I don’t think you’d be the target audience anyways. I’m not delusional, there may be better guitars out there. But I like what I like and plenty of others are more than happy with their Gibson guitars. Mine play and sound great and I haven’t had any QC issues so I have no reason to dislike them. It’s all preference anyways. I grew up wanting a Gibson, it’s what my heroes played and even though the name has no objective benefit, I value it. We likely just put value in different things, which is fine.

Last edited:

Steadfastly

I grew up wanting a Gibson, it’s what my heroes played.
That is often the point. That's why Gibson and others give guitars away to popular artists and even pay them to use their instruments so prospective buyers will see them. I think it's too bad that people don't recognize this and avoid falling into that trap. If they did, we would have better competition, better quality instruments and better prices. Companies would be forced to provide the very best value for the money.

zeppelinpage4

Looks like a great guitar. I haven't watched the video yet, but I will tomorrow when I have more time. Happy NGD.
Thanks! Def excited to have this. Had a lot of fun making the video with it. Really appreciate you taking the time to watch. :beer
And of course the player matters too ... you sound a lot better than me playing it, so there's that as well. :aok
Aw thanks appreciate the kind words! Glad I could do the guitar some justice. I’ll admit, it took me a few more takes than I care to admit to get those licks without mistakes haha.
I love mine and agree it is probably the best bang for your buck you'll get from a Gibson. It's taken over as my number one since I got it. It's so versatile and can get so many tones.

View attachment 544161
Wow! I love the gold hardware and the black. Looks great with the pelham blue. I haven’t thought of a good way to personalize mine yet.

And definitely true on the versatility. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of tones I could get just from riding the volume and tone controls and blending pickups in the middle position.

Last edited:

ltsmash1200

Wow! I love the gold hardware and the black. Looks great with the pelham blue. I haven’t thought of a good way to personalize mine yet.

And definitely true on the versatility. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of tones I could get just from riding the volume and tone controls and blending pickups in the middle position.

Yeah, I was never a gold hardware person but as soon as I got this I thought gold would look great so I ordered everything and love it. I also put Manlius P-90s in it. I was thinking about putting a tortoise pickguard on it, but I can't find a tortoise I like besides Spitfire but that would be way more than I'd want to spend on one right now. I might get a black Mojoaxe one with a wide bevel.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom