My pick review video (so YOU make a pick review video!)

big jilm

Silver Supporting Member

So, I figured I would make a video review of a few pick BEFORE I spring for a Blue Chip or a Charmed Life pick. Beats practicing, yeah?
Primetone, Max Grip, Gravity, Ultex... a few others. Gibson J29 into a Samson GoMic.
Sound sucks, video quality is bad - so what? Don't like it? YOU make a video review and post it HERE!
Let's see 'em!

I start playing around 3:00.

big jilm

Here's one I did over the weekend...Interestingly enough, also with a J-29 (into Sennheiser MK4 and Focusrite Scarlett 18i20).
I compare Tortex, Nylon, Charmed Life Red, and Charmed Life Brown.

big jilm

Silver Supporting Member
Here's one I did over the weekend...Interestingly enough, also with a J-29 (into Sennheiser MK4 and Focusrite Scarlett 18i20).
I compare Tortex, Nylon, Charmed Life Red, and Charmed Life Brown.

Nice - thanks! I don't know which picks I really like - I go between the Dunlop MaxGrip nylon 1.14mm and the PrimeTone 1mm. I think I like the Nylon in your review as well, though that Charmed Life Red sounds great... hell, they all sound good. Thinking of trying a Blue Chip to see what the fuss is about.
How do you like your J29? Not too many of us around. When I got mine, I was looking for a J45. I had a Les Paul on the trading block, and a guy offered me the J29, so I went with it. I really like mine so far.

Tuberoast

Gold Supporting Member
I've done my own comparison, using various Primetones (1.1, 1.3, .96), Blue Chip td40, V-Picks, Gravity (thick). Like you I don't care for too thick of a pick. The one I use most with both my acoustic and electric, at home and on the gig, is the Primetone 1.0.

Nice - thanks! I don't know which picks I really like - I go between the Dunlop MaxGrip nylon 1.14mm and the PrimeTone 1mm. I think I like the Nylon in your review as well, though that Charmed Life Red sounds great... hell, they all sound good. Thinking of trying a Blue Chip to see what the fuss is about.
How do you like your J29? Not too many of us around. When I got mine, I was looking for a J45. I had a Les Paul on the trading block, and a guy offered me the J29, so I went with it. I really like mine so far.
I love my J-29 - heavily underrated slope dread. If you are looking at Blue Chip, get the Charmed Life Brown instead - it's the same exact material for about $10 less. The Brown sounds best to my ear live but the Red plays better than any other pick I've ever tried. Sweep arpeggios are glassy smooth and string transition is as easy as it gets. I like both of my CL picks.

big jilm

Silver Supporting Member
I've done my own comparison, using various Primetones (1.1, 1.3, .96), Blue Chip td40, V-Picks, Gravity (thick). Like you I don't care for too thick of a pick. The one I use most with both my acoustic and electric, at home and on the gig, is the Primetone 1.0.
Yeah, I'm liking the Primetone 1mm as well. Good sounding pick. I used to use the .88mm Primetones, but I am favoring closer to 1mm these days. How would you characterize the differences between the Primetone and the Blue Chip?

big jilm

Silver Supporting Member
I love my J-29 - heavily underrated slope dread. If you are looking at Blue Chip, get the Charmed Life Brown instead - it's the same exact material for about $10 less. The Brown sounds best to my ear live but the Red plays better than any other pick I've ever tried. Sweep arpeggios are glassy smooth and string transition is as easy as it gets. I like both of my CL picks.
Yeah, I think the Charmed Life is the next buy - the owner seems like a great guy, too. Which pick is warmer between the brown and the red, would you say? The red is the same as the regular tortoiseshell he sells, yeah?

Tuberoast

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, I'm liking the Primetone 1mm as well. Good sounding pick. I used to use the .88mm Primetones, but I am favoring closer to 1mm these days. How would you characterize the differences between the Primetone and the Blue Chip?
The Blue Chip has a nice smooth attack. It's very nice and I really like it with my electric. I like the way the Primetone kind of bounces off the string in a subtle way, and it doesn't move around in my fingers. The 1.0 is the cutoff for me, the tone gets more rounded as the picks get thicker.

Yeah, I think the Charmed Life is the next buy - the owner seems like a great guy, too. Which pick is warmer between the brown and the red, would you say? The red is the same as the regular tortoiseshell he sells, yeah?
The Red is warm and lush while the Brown is crisp and pronounced. Red is smoother (by quite a bit), Brown gets the most projection. The red is the same material as the standard tortoise...it looks amazing to be honest.
The Brown is still my favorite; but just by a hair.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom