My pick rotates when strumming

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tochiro, Feb 22, 2012.

1. tochiro

tochiro Member

Hi,

I've noticed my pick tends to rotate towards the bridge when strumming. I tried several makes of picks (Star picks, Dava picks, Elixir, Planet Wave, Dunlop) but to no avail.

I hold the pick normally between the index and the thumb and do not understand what happens. I constantly have to push the pick back into position (every 10 seconds or so) with my middle finger and that's awkward and distracts my playing.

I am ready to accept that my technique is wrong but don't know what to do to correct it :-(

Any advice? Thank you for your time.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Are you holding the pick too loosely? Are you holding the pick with too much of the tip sticking out ( I think this is likely)? Maybe you need to try some picks that have grip perforations on the top.

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I'd try harder to make it not rotate.

:p

Millions of players have used standard, slick Fender picks. Unless you have a medical condition, it's just your technique that needs work.

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

As I understand it, one approach (the one I use) is to hold the pick quite loose in the fingers when strumming allowing it to flop back and forth. I'm quite fast (faster than Pete Townsend but not as fast as those Flamenco dudes). Part of the art is constantly centering and adjusting it in your fingers as you play. It's one of the things I've noticed that my students struggle with as beginners. They'll try to death grip it then they can't strum fast.

The trick to really fast strumming is economy. I typically tell my students to only try to strum the two middle strings and allow your slop to catch the outer ones.

When you get the hang of this, you'll be able to play stuff by Average White Band and other fast funk well.

Hope that helps.

Addendum: I use heavy picks too. Currently, I'm using the Dawg pick (a mandolin pick at about $3 each) and Blue Chip 60's (custom made and about $60 each).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  5. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

One thing that I've found that helps is to have something on the surface of the pick that you can feel- either the logo, etching, a hole etc...

It gives a point of reference that can help you to control the pick.

6. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

Is this a sexual thing ? Your band's not called FourPlay, is it ? Sorry, the caffeine's getting to me on over the hump day - Oh Geez, there I go again. It's The TRoggs !, The TRoggs I tell you !!" I Can't Control Myself "

7. Wake911

Wake911 Member

sounds like technique issue to me. Hold tighter, or else change picks if you can't get it to work with that pick. I had the same problem when i started using a thick/stiffer pick, and adjusted my grip strength and now no issues at all.

8. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

try some v-picks...worked for me...i used to have a similiar issue with the pick moving around

9. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

You can also use a cutting blade to make a criss-cross pattern on the surface area of the pick that goes underneath your fingers.