My pickup sounds like an AM radio...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jwoo, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

I was messing with my pickup height adjustment, when I accidentally backed the screw all the way out of one of my bridge pickups in my 72 custom. When I reinstalled it and tried to play, the bridge pickup sounded like an AM radio. It sounded very thin, and lacking presence and bass.

I thought maybe I had damaged the pickup. I decided to change pickups, ditching my Hot Rails and putting the Lil 59 back in the bridge.

I turned it on, it STILL did this.

Did one of the wires become loose somewhere?

This happened to me before but I just can't remember why it happened..

2. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

Could it be that the pickup is out of phase with itself?

If my ground wire happened to make contact with one half of the pickup, would it cause the pickup to be out of phase?

3. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

You lost one of the coils...maybe broke a winding, or the solder joint that puts the coils in series.

Bummer....happened to me on a gig decades ago. I rubbed through the bobbin plastic on a Dimarzio Super Distortion killing one coil....Instant Gibson Tele Paulster

4. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

Are you sure? Both of my pickups sound like that...they both worked before. I wonder if I wired something wrong?

5. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

ok, i tried my stock pickup, and it still did it! this is driving me crazy. I have no idea what it could be.

6. Seegs

Seegs Member

plug a short cable into the jack and go through all the switch positions and measure the resistance of each pickup with an ohm-meter...that will tell you if you broke a coil...if not then its probably a switch problem...

Chow,
    Seegs

7. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

Alright, I will try that later. Is a switch problem visible, or does a part inside of it just fail?

8. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

I've never used a multimeter before. Do I just connect one end to the cable, and the other to ground?

It has to be something other than the pickup...all 3 pickups (hot rails, lil 59, stock single coil) all did it. It just sounds very nasal and weak.

9. Jwoo

Jwoo Member

Well, I found out that my Hot Rails pickup was damaged and reading way too low. Looks like one of the winds got broken.

However, my Lil 59 and stock single-coil pickup read fine, but they still had that problem.

I ended up just taking the guitar to a local luthier. I have to pay, but I don't think I can figure this thing out.