My Pignose Loves Bridge Pickups

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WolfmansBrother, Dec 19, 2009.

1. WolfmansBrother

WolfmansBrother Member

I've been jamming on my pignose 7-100 for the last hour and I can't praise it enough.

It sounds good at low volumes and it screams when cranked. With my Boss RC-2 in front it's hours of fun, especially with such dramatic changes in overdrive within a small volume range.

I have a tough time finding a bridge pickup tone that doesn't sound shrill or thin, so I'm predominantly a neck pickup player, but my pignose makes bridge pickups sound raunchy and full...just awesome. And it's a great platform for those raw ZZ Top and Stones sounds - very classic rock. Every time I plug in I can't help playing Can You Hear Me Knockin and Sharp Dressed Man.

I own a DRRI and a tweed blues junior, but at least half of my playing time is given to my pignose.

Has anyone else out there drank the Kool-Aid?

2. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

I'm with you on the Pignose. It's all I have here at home, and I love playing through it. It totally rocks with the bridge, but that's where I do most of my playing anyway. I like the different tones you can get with it closed, partially open, and open. And it really takes pedals well. I've been working on pedal designs, and the Pignose is where I do all of my preliminary testing.

Yes, I've had the Kool-Aid, and I'm on the bus.

3. WolfmansBrother

WolfmansBrother Member

Nice. A great thing about the pignose is the look on non-guitar playing friends' faces when you incorporate them into playing by having them open and close the case. Sure it loses it's luster real quick, but it's still cool...

They do take pedals well. I recently bought an analogman silver modded TS9 and it sounds killer through the pignose. I love TS9 because it melds into your amp's tone. When it's turned on it doesn't sound like a pedal; it just sounds like you cranked your amp. It blends really well with the pignose.

4. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

does anyone else here think that the pignose doesn't take neck pickups well?

5. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Definitely takes them better when it's open. But, yes, I agree that my neck pickups are on the muddy side through the Pignose. I'm not much of a neck player though.

6. WolfmansBrother

WolfmansBrother Member

Neck pickups sound good at really low volumes, but the bass tends to overpower the small speaker as the volume increases. Bridge pickups seem to blend better with the pignose's speaker breakup.

7. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

i can't play my pignose without a dirt pedal. Plugged straight in (my hottest pickups are PAF's or P-90's) the amp is dull and lifeless - horrible tone. Anything before it, unity buffer, fuzz, overdrive or boost and it's a lot of fun and sounds great for what it is. I've always wondered what the input impedance is and if something is wrong with mine.

8. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

I would agree with that. Anything that'll provide a lower impedance signal tends to bring the Pignose to life. I've found that, when playing straight from guitar to Pignose, rolling down the guitar's volume helps pull the muddiness out for some really nice clean tones.

9. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

10. Tres Mellow

Tres Mellow Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  11. WolfmansBrother

WolfmansBrother Member

Tres Mello, that's awesome...

Those danelectro pedals are pretty sweet. I picked up a coolcat vibe real cheap on ebay and it surprised the hell out of me. Very nice pedal.

12. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Yeah, Tres Mellow, I saw your posting on the integrated tremolo last week. Very cool! I've actually thought a bit about how you could make it footswitchable. I have an idea...I'll post it in your thread.

I just grabbed one of those Cool Cat Vibes too. Great sounds. I'm in the process of rehousing it and doing some of the typical mods.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  13. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

yep, certain gear just loves bridge pickups. same with my Phase 90 - almost like it's not on until i switch to the bridge!

14. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Wahs too IMO