My plan is working! How to control GAS from getting out of hand.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Sep 28, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have a PedalPad AXS, and it's seriously my dream board...I was about to build one just like it that I came up with myself, then stumbled across the PedalPad site and saved myself time and headaches. That's the indirect subject of this post. As I began to accumulate pedals and allowed my obsessive compulsive behavior to grow, I started to run out of room (and money). I contemplated getting an additional AXS board, came very close to picking another one up used. I stopped myself. I told myself that as a bedroom player, I had no sensible need for 4 fuzz pedals, 3 overdrives, 3 phase, etc. I made a "rule" that if I can't fit it on the board, it doesn't come home. Well, I am happy to say that I have stuck to that rule and it's helping me control my spending and acquisitions. For instance, I just purchased a D*A*M 1966...if all goes as planned, it will knock off the MJM London Fuzz and the ToneFactor Huckleberry actually freeing up TWO spaces on the board. Sure, I really like the MJM and Huck...but there comes that obsessive compulsive thought process again. I still plan to have "one" of every effect I desire, I just need to admit that for me...having 3 or 4 fuzz pedals is just not practical.

I feel so much better now after years of gear hoarding. I feel free, the weight and burden have been lifted. I either keep my trem or sell it and get another...no more of this, "that trem for rhythm, that one for lead, and that one for...". I am so excited to see this idea actually working. I have a problem with self control, so seeing myself actually sticking to the self imposed agreement is very rewarding.

If any of you think you have a problem too, I suggest the technique I have employed here.

For reference, the pic linked at the bottom of my sig shows the size of my AXS. I do have storage underneath where I keep my power supplies and pedals I rarely use.

2. rabbit

rabbit Member

Ryan,

I think you are on the right track. This is a nice way to limit GAS but not entirely inhibit it cause then it would come back even stronger! For me this wouldn´t work (see the board pic in my sig) cause I have such a small board and I couldn´t even put one pedal of each kind on it. Lack of disposable cash is my tamer of GAS.. :(

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I'm about to go through a board down-sizing too as a result of a recent excess baggage touring experience. We're a mid-level sort of band without a big budget so I toured without my amps and still ended up paying excess because of my pedalboard!

Damn I thought, if I'm going to get hit with excess baggage charges anyway, I might as well down-size the board and tour with an amp. I think I'm going to restrict myself to a pedaltrain junior.

This should keep the pedal GAS under control and I'll spend more on guitars.

4. Lund

Lund Member

well.... its kind of sad but i can relate to that...

i to have a certain tendency to get carried away and buy stuff eventhough i have plenty allready of the same... like several of the same type dirtbox or whatever...

take fuzz... you need two tops... one germanium one silicon... and thats it...

i to have a board that i have a rule about... if it cant fit something has to go - im not carrying two boards.

also... i dont believe in having stuff you dont use... if something is not getting any use i sell it (excluding stuff that was made by friends or my first pedal - you know.... sentimental reasons).

Michael

5. shakti

shakti Member

I sort of used the same method, although I cheated since I have two boards, and one larger than this...

However, I do feel it's really useful to think in terms of a board, for several reasons:

1) Space automatically limits. If you buy just to have them around, you can quickly accumulate *lots* of pedals.
    2) It has to be practical in use...i.e. on a board, which leads to...
    3) Board space limits your choices for a given pedal. I actually think of this as a good thing, with the overwhelming choices out there. If space was not limited, you could always catch yourself thinking "I just need to try that phaser X to see if it's a tiny hair better". If it doesn't fit on the board, forget it!

This has worked very well until now, but I've had some GAS in the recent yera and a half after a long hiatus. That has more to do with the fact that I've been spending lots of time away from my gear...less time to play = more time to waste on the internet = GAS
    However, after selecting my pedals after board size for a long time, I made some final tweaks which meant i now have to build two new boards, and sort of re-think the whole arrangement. Now I knwo what works and what doesn't, so I am planning this to be the mother(s) of all boards...thereby ending GAS for ever... :rolleyes:

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

That's my rule too. I even downsized to a smaller pedalboard to make it even more restrictive. I've sold some great pedals, but I can still get the sounds I need out of what I have.

Now that I think about it, I could probably lose a few guitars and not notice... :(

7. el34power

el34power Member

8. opdev

opdev Member

Let us know when your new board arrives next week ;)

9. Lefty

Lefty Member

I have two boards, a 27x16 and a PT Jr. The PT is my main board, and it limits me to what I can squeeze onto it. There is very little room for non-essential pedals, and keeps my GAS at bay to a point. And the + of a smaller board is it also helps with lack of stage real-estate, and lbs for transport.

Sometimes it comes down to a choice of delay or vibe, or is this pedal really necessary? I keep mine down to Trem-Chorus-Vibe-Distortion (rhythm)-OD (two channel-it's a good way to cheat)-fuzz. And the Wah sits off the board. Ok, granted I still buy a pedal but keeping in mind if it's gonna be a keeper, something will have to go. Also keep in mind the pedals with a small footprint is your friend.

And then you have the "better to have and not need, than to need and not have" factor.

10. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

When I am at home practicing, I only have a BB Preamp into my Deluxe Reverb RI. That's it. I have a Chandler Tube Driver I want to sell, I don't use it and don't need it. I'm really happy with that rig setup at home and happy with my main rig.

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Yea, I use the same technique - no extra pedals allowed! If there is no room for it on my board, then there is no room for it laying around at home. What is weird is that I don't think I have filled up my board completely since I started this policy. If a pedal seems to be less than great I turn it immediately - got to keep an open slot or two for when that next great pedal comes along!

12. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

LOL:AOK

13. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Face divorce...:(

14. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

A friend of mine said something wise I try to listen to:

"I do not want what I do not need."

I sometimes heed this, and am always happier for it. OTOH, from madness comes insight, and compassion...I guess it is ok. Good luck with your plan.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I'm waiting to see boards like the ones controlled by looper bypass boxes, so since all the pedals are already switched on, they can be mounted vertically on one end so you can fit 2-3x the pedals...

16. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

I have been working on the same thing. Considering the gear in my signature, I've told my self if I can't make good music with that, I just suck as a guitar player. That next cool pedal is not going to make the difference. Buying a $1000.00 ribbon mic is not going to make the difference, buying a $1000.00 TTE is not going to make the difference. I've heard tons of great music by people with way less gear and way more talent. My money is much better spent on a few good music books. Me and my wife are much happier.......
    However I saved thousands buy building my own fuzz pedals. It's a great hobbie and I don't have to pay $800.00 for a old Colorsound or Vox fuzz only to find out that I don't use it that much.

17. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I know some people that also use the "running out of room" factor to control the amount of gear they buy.

Unfortunatley it's the "running out of room" on the 3 credit cards that they are talking about.

18. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

It keeps me thinking and dreaming - but away from ultimate GAS - how to get 2 birds with 1 stone...and not get outside the size of the board - a NYC Pedalboard 5-shot (that I fit 9 pedals/power on)

I have a GAS'sy Mind with my approach (time in-between at work on the internet w/ you guys) but my wallet's GAS is in check.

Sometimes I have to think 'sideways' - like I got a small AM Bi-Comp for 2 kinds of compression, but I'm going to audition a BJF Comp instead - it only does 1 kind of comp - yet if I always leave it on it'll be on 2X as much.
    Kind of overmental, but there it is.

Higher quality w/ simplicity trumps more choices in my board - I still kinda wish I can do it all with even less pedals. I'm also auditioning a Klon soon - seeing if it can replace both a boost and light OD pedal - though it'll take up the same room as those 2 pedals. A lateral move, strategically.

I'm presently making room for a small dessert. On my board a Wah/Fuzz/Tuner/Comp/Boost/OD/Analog Delay are mandatory. The dessert at the moment is a small Mofaux Vibe - kinda fulfills the phaseshift/swirly desire - might be replaced by a chorus.

My strobostomp velcros on top of the PP2+, and that has to come off and go in the guitar case as otherwise the cover won't shut.
    In my brain, that's OK, still part of fitting in the limitations of the board.

ken's mind, beginners mind

19. theHoss

theHoss Member

I am taking the same approach. I have gone through 4 pedal boards in the last year. Pedal Train Jr >> Pedal Pad XL >> Pedal Pad >> Pedal Pad AXS >> NOW I have settled on my dream board. An 18" puma board. I orderd the smallest possible so that it could only support my core tones. Wah, Lead Tone, Tuner, and some color (in this case a MoFaux vibe). I did end up buying a two channel pedal (Burn Unit EQ) so that I could have an over driven rythym, but hey.....I am all done now and I can focus on playing.....well....at least that is my plan!!!!!

20. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

I did the same thing a few months ago and got down to 8 pedals.

Now, i'm at 17:jo

As I have in the past, I will try to follow your example.