My pod hd500 not turning on, i also bought a new power adapter

Nicky_Fingaz

My adapter for my my pod hd500 broke during a gig last week and i just got a new adapter in the mail and my hd500 wont turn on.

Does anyone know how to turn it on manually, should i get it repaired or should i just call it quits and save up for real professional equipment (like a full rig or an axe fx for example)?

Nicky_Fingaz

Sounds like the power input might be the problem, not the adapter. Keep your old adapter. Depending on your skillz, pull it apart and see if the adapter is broken. Why the 500 doesn't have a power switch is and was going to be the input jack killer eventually.
Thanks bro. the old adapter died, I tried on my friends hd500

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Did you buy the Line 6 adapter or something else?

mattball826

Thanks bro. the old adapter died, I tried on my friends hd500
did his adapter work when connected your unit? or you tried your adapter on his hd500 and his didn't power up as well?

adapter can go on its own most often by users leaving them plugged in. other instances, the unit may be causing issues and cooking the adapter as well. if you have a meter you can check the voltage from the adapter. you may have a new defective adapter.

ballhawk

Silver Supporting Member
Years ago one of my multi-fx died on a gig due to a power surge. When I opened it up there was a fuse that protected the unit. In that case it was an easy and cheap fix.

I have no idea if the hd500 is built like that but maybe someone has some gut shots.

standard24

Was your new adapter a Line 6 HD500 adapter?????

Their polarity is reversed from normal, (the center/tip is negative).

I buy the cheap Chinese adapters, and cut/reverse/solder splice them for my HD500. (They're about $10.00 shipped on Ebay.)

standard24

i bought it from the line 6 website
What if they sent a bad one? Check the polarity/voltage with a meter. The tip should be negative. (Or try it on your friend's HD500).

If the HD500 is bad, Google the problem, and consult with the Line 6 Forum. They may direct you to a fuse inside the unit.

Maybe you just want to upgrade to a better unit, but there's no reason to trash it without finding what the repair costs might be. (You might sell it to fund a Kemper).

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
It may be worth trying your friend's HD500 adapter on your HD500, that would isolate the adapter at least.

In case you haven't already, make sure your Line 6 adapter is specifically for the HD500. The older Line 6 adapters, at least the ones in the beans and floor versions from the original POD to the X3, are all AC output. The HD500's is DC. There is the possibility that the plugs between the AC and DC supplies will not plug into each other (different center pin diameters).

I do not have my internal pics of my HD500 with me, but I do not recall seeing an internal fuse. The power supply for the HD500 is a switching type of supply, and those usually have internal overcurrent protection, and a fuse in the HD500 may not have been considered necessary for this reason. It is also possible that Line 6 might have used what is known as a polyfuse, which is a fuse that will reset itself after a short period of time. I haven't seen any schematics for any HD series products though. And I do not recall seeing any internal fuses in any other Line 6 POD products I have seen schematics for.

The earlier suggestion to inspect the power jack is good, this should be very simple for a tech to do and should only take a few minutes. Also in many cases a problem like this (no power) is one of the simplest to solve in a unit repair. If you have a tech available, it may be worth a few bucks to have him take a quick look at it.

Of course, if your HD500 is still under warranty, do not open it, send it and the defective supply back to Line 6 for repair. They should repair and return both.

Check the amperage rating ... Line 6 has upped the requirements to 2.2-3k ma's

The old ones are 1.5 k and do not work with newer gear.

Trending Topics