My poor 335's veneer top is splitting!?? Please help??

Denny

Hi guys. My 2001 Gibby's veneer top is splitting - and growing slowly. I love the guitar, but am afraid IF someone can't save it, I'll have to sell it. Please email me for pix as that's the only way I can get pix to you: dbonanza1@gmail.com Gibson's prices to repair are pretty high. Thanks

Denny
www.bluefrets.com

Terry McInturff

45th Anniversary of guitar building!
Gold Supporting Member
A diagnosis isn't possible without pics, but perhaps you can answer a few questions:

1) Are these finish cracks alone, with the veneer on either side as flat as before, or is the wood curling-up on either side?
2) Can you see a gap along the separation...or is it a tight crack(s)?
3) Can you push-down on either side of the "separation" and see up/down motion as the wood is pushed-down to it's original position?

Im trying to determine wether or not the laminate is de-laminating, or if it is actually finish checking alone.
* Don't touch the separation any more than absolutely necessary, as we don't want dirt/skin oil to be introduced into the cracks.*

Denny

A diagnosis isn't possible without pics, but perhaps you can answer a few questions:

1) Are these finish cracks alone, with the veneer on either side as flat as before, or is the wood curling-up on either side?
2) Can you see a gap along the separation...or is it a tight crack(s)?
3) Can you push-down on either side of the "separation" and see up/down motion as the wood is pushed-down to it's original position?

Im trying to determine wether or not the laminate is de-laminating, or if it is actually finish checking alone.
* Don't touch the separation any more than absolutely necessary, as we don't want dirt/skin oil to be introduced into the cracks.*

Is there an email I can send some pix? thanks - Denny

Trending Topics

Top Bottom