My poor wife had no idea.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rollyfoster, May 21, 2015.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Now that I have started playing out again I am on a GAS bender after being out of the game for a few years. Pedals, amp, guitars...every time she walks past me I am looking at something online.

Unfortunately for her, she had no idea what I am capable of and is completely stunned. Not mad or anything, just in a constant state of WTF and SERIOUSLY...kind of like I react when she gets a new pair of running shoes like weekly.

It's winding down but I went all in and pretty much overhauled my entire rig over the past 2 months.

I imagine she is stalking my account and planning an intervention so if you're reading...Sorry, honey. It's almost over.....or is it?

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

pretty much same boat. recently joined a band, and we have gigs scheduled. so far have bought 4 pedals and a new guitar and am thinking of a wireless system next.

i bought her a new bike for mothers day though so that helped to offset the comments.

bender likes this.
  3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I guess it's a joke on here when someone actually reads the first post.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    ohiomatt33 likes this.
  4. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Reminded me of... Superfreak, you're a superfreak, the kind we don't take home to mother... GAS very real

Leonc likes this.
  5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

[​IMG]

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

"Marriage" usually involves a common pooling of resources.

Having one's current primary sex partner involved in the budgeting decisions, that's different.

7. thecornman

thecornman Member

I go always go the other way when I am playing in a band! Spend less time gassing for stuff and more time playing. Also lucky enough to have a lady who doesnt question any of my spending habits when it comes to gear.

Turi likes this.
  8. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Fail.

Lt Dak, semi-hollowbody and Turi like this.
  9. rsm

rsm Member

10. Turi

Turi Member

Haha, I'm in the same boat except I'm not even playing out at the moment.
    Still wasting loads of time looking at all sorts of music related stuff.

It's alright though. She smokes and I don't, so I don't need to feel bad about spending a little cash on things for me.
    It's not the money thing that gets to her though, it's the wasting time looking it all up and reading about loads of **** that pisses her off a bit..

71strat likes this.
  11. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Your greatest fear when you die, is that she will sell all your gear for what you told her it cost.

12. sleeperaxe

sleeperaxe Supporting Member

My wife has given up on me when it comes to gear. But I always buy used and know the market, which means I never take a big hit from reselling. Sometimes I even make a little.

Here are the two things I always tell her:
    1. "If we ever get in a jam, I can sell this stuff quickly." I think this is generally true.
    2. "Compared to what many other musicians are addicted to, this is pretty harmless." Obviously true.

So really, she's just lucky that I'm so into gear, right?

Tom Gross, msteeln, bloomz and 4 others like this.
  13. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

A stumble right out of the gate.

kevinsetbingo, Turi and Tom CT like this.
  14. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

My wife is a bit like the OP's, I am very familiar with the squinted eye looks when I buy things like preamps or 200 dollars in cables, but she understands guitars and amps are the paint and canvas I use so she is usually Ok with those purchases if I can justify a use for them.

15. sleeperaxe

sleeperaxe Supporting Member

I assume this will be hard for you to understand, but in most marriages the resources are pooled. If my wife started dropping thousands of dollars on something, obviously I'd want to know about it. That's why my wife wants to know about my thousand-dollar purchases.

16. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

This is exactly what my bass player crawls the onliene classified ads looking for. He recently bought a collector's batch of gear for waaayyyy below value and make a good profit selling the gear piece by piece.

Cgkindler and GuitarGuy66 like this.
  17. bloomz

bloomz Member

This is no joke - my close close friend bought a boat part for $80 and had to have me ship to my business so his wife wouldn't see it.

I said "Are you kidding?" (his wife does nothing but watch tv - never worked a day in her life) He said "It's not worth the fight." I said, "Fight? I have 13 guitars."

I feel nauseous just typing that.

I never ask permission - I earn my money and take good care of the family - I'd never dream of letting a woman manage my money and tell me what I'm allowed to spend - especially one that doesn't work. (My wife works and can spend anything she wants any time she wants, without asking my permission either.

She says "You bought another guitar?" and I say "Yup I did."

18. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

It's like someone started a messageboard for the stupidest humans alive.

19. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Wait to make yourself look like a giant ass, new guy....

20. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

Funny, we tell our wives the same thing....and this past year I sold off a 10k guitar to take care of a huge tax bill which we weren't expecting....so she doesn't doubt my pledge...( I still have way too many guitars and amps, but I sure enjoy the hell out of them)

Cgkindler likes this.