My Pots Value

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by emjee, Feb 19, 2006.

1. emjee

emjee Member

Hey folks

Anyone happen to know what value pots are in my Hamer FM studio, or for that matter my original Ca. made Bakers? I have looked but they arent marked "250K" or anything like that. Also, do caps only get put on tone pots? Any help would certainly be appreciated! Thank in advance guys,

MG

2. K-man

K-man Member

If you have a multimeter you can measure them. Put one lead on either of the side solder lugs and the other lead on the center lug. As you turn the pot it should go from 0 to whatever the value is. Usually with humbuckers they are 500k, and with single coils they are 250k, but some people use 300k as well.

A capacitor can be used on the volume pot as well as the tone pots. On the volume pot it helps keep the highs present as you roll off the volume.

3. emjee

emjee Member

Hey K-

I am really sorry for the delay in thanking you for your valuable information for folks like myself that just play, and arent (Yet) familiar with all the different wiring techniques, pot values, cap placement, and the plethora of info that is available. Also, could you tell me something else? I notice on my LP type guitars the taper of the volume pots is much less gradual. It is silent when at "Zero", then when turned up to "One" it gives a certain loudness, yet then from 2-10 its like at full volume; very little graduation of the taper. But I notice on my MIM strat, the pot's taper is extremely gradual. Any idea's? Thanks again for your help.

MG

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Look for a 3-digit number on the pot. For instance, 254 or 504. The way to interpret these is 25 x10^4 = 250k, or 50 x10^4 = 500k

Other confusing numbers could be the date code. These are typically YYWW, so for instance 9901 would be the first week of 1999. Older pots are more cryptic and you'll see codes like 1376622 where the 137 is the manufacturer's code, the 66 is 1966 and 22 is the 22nd week of that year. For pots made prior to 1960 the year code is often only 1 digit so you'd see 137522 for the 22nd week of 1955.

Of course if it doesn't say anything on it see above suggestions. :D

DJ

5. K-man

K-man Member

Sounds like the LP is a reverse audio taper if it goes near full volume at 2. Don't know why anyone would use that in a guitar. The strat sounds like a normal audio taper.