My Proanalog MKII sounds pretty bad

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
Clean amp
Have you tried Single Coils and Humbuckers?
They often don't clean up well but have you tried guitar volume back just slightly?

Benders are all over the place tonally and response-wise.
I'll think I love or hate one and then plug in a different guitar or amp and it is a totally different beast.

My MKII is a Monsterpiece and it has a powerful Bias control and a very valuable Input Bias control.
Lows go NUTS on MKI and MKII

griley

I just know that of the four tonebenders I have, the Proanalog is the only one I don't like. Now, that being said, the other benders I have are based around the mkIII circuit, so maybe I am just not used to the MKII sound, but can it really be so far away from the MKIII? We're talking different universe of tone here.
Other than both being germanium fuzzes the mk2 and mk3 circuits are completely different, the only thing in common is the name. Maybe you just don't like the mk2? (I don't either, mk1 or mk3/4 for me)

It's can be pretty confusing when people talk about tonebenders without specifying which type - a mk1 is very different to a mk1.5, which is different to a mk2, which is different to a mk3/4 (the mk3 and the mk4 are the same though).

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like it needs to be fixed from the description. I have an old Power Driver, one of the best overdrivers I’ve ever used.

Other than both being germanium fuzzes the mk2 and mk3 circuits are completely different, the only thing in common is the name. Maybe you just don't like the mk2? (I don't either, mk1 or mk3/4 for me)

It's can be pretty confusing when people talk about tonebenders without specifying which type - a mk1 is very different to a mk1.5, which is different to a mk2, which is different to a mk3/4 (the mk3 and the mk4 are the same though).
True - MK3/4 have almost more in common with a big muff than with MK1/1.5/2. Then again OP says theirs sounds nothing like the one in the demo video that was posted, so it still could be an issue with the Pro Analog pedal...

Trinehart

Silver Supporting Member
I would also recommend posting a short vid/clip and perhaps a gut shot as a logical first step to utilize the vast knowledge of the Fuzz lovers in this community. Sometimes it is as simple as a cold solder joint or a loose/bent physical connection that is easily fixed... Good luck.

2tone

Silver Supporting Member
Likely needs repair. I know Scotty has done some insane gain versions of tonebenders.. I had one of those. But his regular benders are very good sounding, I have about seven!

dumdums

Does anyone have a good reference tonebender mkII clip I can hear? I've tried running into my clean amp, and the crunch channel of my Mesa. It's about 70 degrees in here, so I don't think it needs cooling down.

V-man

Sounds like you’d be helping yourself more sharing your clip with others rather than asking others to post theirs, likely on different equipment than yours (in which case you can readily reference tons of Mk 2 gear demos all over the place).

griley

Does anyone have a good reference tonebender mkII clip I can hear? I've tried running into my clean amp, and the crunch channel of my Mesa. It's about 70 degrees in here, so I don't think it needs cooling down.
Ignore the Boss on this clip, but the Sola Sound and the DAM sound how I hear a mk2.

dumdums

Sounds like you’d be helping yourself more sharing your clip with others rather than asking others to post theirs, likely on different equipment than yours (in which case you can readily reference tons of Mk 2 gear demos all over the place).
It's just because I realize that I am not familiar with what the mkII benders should sound like, as I just got this thing and am used to mkIIIs. I want to make sure I'm not just ignorant as to how these pedals should sound.

It's just because I realize that I am not familiar with what the mkII benders should sound like, as I just got this thing and am used to mkIIIs. I want to make sure I'm not just ignorant as to how these pedals should sound.
:clips

V-man

All the more reason to submit sounds of your “broken?” Bender to experienced ears, rather than you try yourself. You may have a perfectly good and awful-sounding (to you) unit that’s easily diagnosed.

dumdums

Is there such thing as a standard volume and gain setting? I won't be able to do test until later on tonight, as I have to step out for a bit, but I can take some notes and that way when I record it it I'll at least have some parameters to follow. BTW, do I have to use twitter to post videos? Never posted anything aside from a photo and not sure how to do it. I don't use social media. Got a twitter just to post pictures of a guitar once. lol.

Is there such thing as a standard volume and gain setting? I won't be able to do test until later on tonight, as I have to step out for a bit, but I can take some notes and that way when I record it it I'll at least have some parameters to follow. BTW, do I have to use twitter to post videos? Never posted anything aside from a photo and not sure how to do it. I don't use social media. Got a twitter just to post pictures of a guitar once. lol.
Just make a clip that exemplifies what you consider to be the "bad sound" that it makes. If the volume of your clean sound is more or less equal to the volume of the fuzz sound, that should be enough.

Use soundcloud to upload/host the clip and post the link to your soundcloud clip here.

Trending Topics