My Problem With Ian Anderson Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Powderfinger, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

No response from this post yet.

2. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

March 2010 a TGPer bought an Ian Anderson build spot - told 6-9 months to complete.
    July 2011 (16 months later) with the build not even started the frustrated seller sells his slot to me, I am told by Ian we are "about to start woodworking".
    Numerous excuses.
    Numerous promises.
    Numerous "erroneous statements"
    Numerous builds completed before mine, that were initiated after mine.
    4.5 years later, I am still waiting.
    I asked for a refund (he is not in a position to do that).
    As the OP points out, he does usually respond to emails and calls, however it means nothing as the promises he makes are never met.
    4.5 years later, and I too am his #1 priority but he never does any work on the guitar.
    Frustrated, in February of this year I sent pics to another luthier asking if he might finish the build - he said the guitar (based on the pics) was "less than a week from finish, the hard work is done" Well those pics were from last July, and I have still not seen a pic of the guitar with a lick of paint.
    RIDICULOUS!!
    You are (sadly) not alone OP.

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Just out of curiosity, why did you change the scope of work? If it was the fret size you didn't like, why just level them? Like someone else mentioned, my guess is he has not done any work to your guitar. Ask him for a picture of the neck next time you get an "update." I have never dealt with IA but maybe he should spend a little less time on TGP and more time in his shop from the sound of things.

The comments grouping all small builders into the same deadbeat category are not exactly fair. I bought guitars from Dan Strain / Tom Bartlett and both guys are true to their word (not to mention they make fantastic instruments). And from what I have seen here, K-Line / Ron Kirn are also both stand up guys who I would have no concerns with when handing my money over. You just know these two are top notch when one of their guitars is listed in the emporium and they offer a free setup to the next owner.

macmax77 likes this.
  4. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member

I am shocked by this how is it possible and
    Not illegal to do this to a customer isn't this fraud

cmatthes likes this.
  5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Word.

6. matte

matte Senior Member

the reductionists who paint all small builders with the same brush are usually low rent hobbyists (who have no intention of ever paying the price of admission for a true custom build). i have had custom builds to my specs crafted by:

dominick ramos
    terry mcinturff
    michael stevens
    don grosh
    john suhr
    gene baker
    johan gustavsson
    damian probett
    gil yaron
    steve klein
    theo scharpach
    mario martin
    frank pine
    lance lerman
    saul koll
    chad underwood

and many others.

not a single hitch in the entire process. oftentimes my specs were never offered on a guitar before. all of the above mentioned builders delivered flawless instruments. many of these builders have built me five or more instruments.

7. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

That may be the most pretentious post I have ever read. Congrats!

swa, cmatthes, macmax77 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

He suggested it.

9. matte

matte Senior Member

how so?

i'm sharing my personal experience, over a quarter of a century, not indulging in theories.

no pretense. :)

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

he's right though. that's a list of top notch builders - and you won't see them playing forum darlings, or if they do come on to post, it's not to roost but to problem solve and provide solid information. :drink

11. jerryfan6

I'm mostly reacting to the phrase "low-rent hobbyists". We can agree that this is a pretentious and loaded phrase, no?

cmatthes likes this.
  12. matte

matte Senior Member

tgp casts a wide net.

the membership ranges from "low rent hobbyists" to full-time working pros and captains of industry with disposable incomes.

there is bound to be some animosity over how people chose to spend their money. countless posts and threads bear this out.

have you ever ordered a custom guitar? i saw your thread and there was no mention of that being a possibility.

13. jerryfan6

Yep...no pretentiousness there at all!!

No, I have never ordered a custom guitar. How does that relate to this topic?

14. Stevo57

Stevo57 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the new sig line Matte!

cmatthes likes this.
  15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

So what are you contributing to the thread besides potshots at matte?

16. matte

matte Senior Member

i think that the domain name is still available. :) :beer:banana

17. sfarnell

sfarnell Member

I love my two IA Standards, both purchased used in the emporium. It's sad that this is still happening with Ian's customers. Ian needs to find a way to stop taking ALL NEW WORK, including winding pickups, fret jobs, etc., until his backlog is erased. He'll have to find a way to finance his living expenses and overhead in the meantime, and should not use deposits for that purpose. Not sure how he'll be able to do that, but it's the only way to dig himself out of the hole that he's created. After that, if he still wants to stay in business, he'll have to build some guitars and sell them to finance future builds so that he doesn't need to take deposits until he's actually starting a custom build. There should never be more than a six month wait for a custom build once a deposit is paid.

18. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Good luck to the OP. I read the point about small builders as there appear to be more and more horror stories emerging these days and it warrants a closer look to buying from a store - end of point. Matte - I agree, not all builders are bad and its not fair to generalize. Having said that, I have ordered several custom builds from some of the builders from your list. A couple went well and a couple didn't. Some of those guys I would not deal with again.

You really have to do your homework when buying...

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

So when did you say your Anderson was going to be completed..?

:spit

20. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

This makes me think of the benefits of doing things Danocaster's way where he sells them as he builds them. If people want to buy them faster than he's building them he can put his prices up. If he's building them faster than people are buying them, he can bring the prices down. Nobody stuck waiting at the end of a phone or email.