My Problem With Ian Anderson Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Powderfinger, Aug 30, 2014.

1. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

What are any of us adding to this thread really?

Also, if you use a phrase like "low-rent hobbyist", you should expect a reaction. Simple as that.

2. airportbar

airportbar Member

Hey, we all can't be mega-stars of some fringe instrumentalist genre. Doesn't make our opinions any less valid!

And yes, I've ordered a custom guitar before. He (Creston) is a 1-man shop as well, and he couldn't have been more professional and courteous. The build came in on time too.

cmatthes likes this.
  3. matte

matte Senior Member

my sole purpose in entering this thread was to question the veracity of impugning all small builders, based on the questionable actions of a few.

what do you call people who pass have no intentions of buying an item, yet question both the integrity of those who make them as well as the sensibility/fiscal responsibility of those who purchase them?

4. matte

matte Senior Member

please don't make this about me (though i love the attention, this isn't the place for it. start a thread:dude.)

the only thing that make an opinions less valid is the absence of actual personal experience.

so i guess we do have something in common. let's bond on that! :aok

5. Yamaha 1421

Yamaha 1421 Member

Just because your a great artist[And BTW I think he IS one] [In this case a Luthier] it does not mean your going to be a great businessman,they don't always go hand in hand.We have several small guitar builders that have been in my state for decades and they are still doing it right..........so it certainly can be done.If we were talking about a car here that you depended upon and a similar situation happened would you ever go back to that dealership? Bottom Line........ be truthful and honor your commitments to your customers............. EDIT:and I'll make a addendum to that last sentence..... I believe that should apply to ANY business NOT just small guitar builders.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  6. jerryfan6

The problem is...none of what you seem to be defending was happening in this thread! Nobody was lumping all small builders together and nobody was questioning the fiscal sensibility of buying a custom guitar.

Furthermore, why do we need to call them anything? Wouldn't it have been more useful to come in and say "guys, I've had many good transactions with many small builders"? Instead, you use the same broad brush you accuse people of using to paint small builders, to paint others as "low-rent hobbyists".

7. matte

matte Senior Member

every experience/interaction should be judged on it's own merits.

8. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Really? The way I read it there were several posts that seemed to imply exactly that.

9. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I think he means in this thread...the OP's post is about Anderson alone, so no need to paint with broad strokes of assumption either way. The OP didn't, matte did.

An IA has always been one of my "dream" custom guitars if I ever had the time/money to go that route. And I almost did at one point; Ian was very communicative at that time, just as others have said he was. But I've seen too many of these threads/complaints about him since, and unfortunately if I ever do score an IA it will have to be used. I hope Ian can get it together, I really do...

10. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Sorry, I meant posts (my mind doesn't multitask all that well I guess) and had already corrected this error. There are several post POSTS in this thread that seem to lump the most of the general builder community with the misdeeds of this single builder (including the very first response in the thread from JerryFan himself).

11. WayneM

WayneM Member

Matte,

I know of you and your work...so this is not a criticizen (or a attack) and just a thought.

I believe that I have never read a thread or complaint (in TGP) of a well known Pro guitarist having problems like this from a small shop Luthier.

Could it be assumed that the "average (and unknown) non-pro guitarist" does not get the same attention or service that a "well known" pro guitarist receives from a small shop Luthier?

Something to consider?

12. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

Gotcha, and yes kinda interesting that JerryFan was the first haha

Another thought I had about all this, is that I'd hate to think that the builder (whoever it might be) would then rush through the work just to get it done, because they took too long in the first place. I wouldn't want to have waited all that time, just to have the work rushed through at the last minute. One of the things you're paying for is the craftsman's time and attention to detail...

13. matte

matte Senior Member

ron thorn seems to treat his entire customer base with the same level of concern and respect.

14. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

yeah, I thought of that - that's why I stayed on the sidelines for so long - but eventually, with no action on the guitar, you get so frustrated (like the OP) that you have to share

15. wcfields

wcfields Member

Thanks for posting this. I will share your experience with others.

Completely unacceptable.

16. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

You need a thorn

17. jerryfan6

I see what you're getting at, although I believe most posts on this thread have gone out of they're way to not use words like "all" or "every".

My post was referring to the fact that I prefer to buy my guitars at a store, so as to avoid this level of frustration. I'm not sure that implies that "all" small builders are bad, but you can read it how you wish.

Let's be honest though, there are many, many threads about this same sort of thing. Not just about this builder, but about experiences with other builders as well. I'm sure I don't need to name those other builders, because I'm sure you are familiar.

I understand that as a builder yourself, it would feel important for you to make sure that people know that each builder is different. Totally understandable, as I can honestly say that I have never read anything negative written about tons of builders, including yourself. But, I would contend that it is the bogus builders who are casting the negative shadow, not the people who talk about it on the internet.

18. Ivan Durak

Ivan Durak Member

I think many smaller builders out there simply don't know how to adapt their shop's operations and processes to allow for more orders to go through.

A healthy dose of analysis and testing could help many of these shops run a lot smoother without diminishing the number of orders too much (thus keeping customers happy). I'd really recommend these luthiers to look into operations management

It's a shame that otherwise great builders and their customers have to suffer.

19. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

So what I get from this thread is:

a) Buying from a small builder is/isn't a crap-shoot at best unless you are/aren't
    b) A name, or a "professional" i.e. one who consistently (and not too anonymously) drops a large amounts of cash, otherwise you qualify as a
    c) Low rent hobbyist, for whom expecting first rate service for the same investment as the "name" or "professional" is in some way amateurish and unreasonable. Then is is obvious that you lack
    d) Integrity, sensibility, and maybe even fiscal responsibility. It must be so - or you would be professional or famous, and you'd never have had any problems with small builders who sometimes have, er, "communication" problems with those who fit in category c. It's almost always a misunderstanding because builders are too nice and talented to fall into category (d), and of course we've yet to hear of these occaisional "communication" problems from anyone who fits in category(b). That would be unprofessional all around.

But true, we shouldn't paint with a broad brush because there are alot of great and competent builders out there -also if you did talk publicly you'd qualify as: (and 'round and 'round we go...)

There's no place like here! :)

-db

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  20. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

My guess is taking new work how is he is paying for old work.