My proposed all-around yet simple FX Loop board--change my mind?

axehandler

Silver Supporting Member
After going in circles in my mind on how to assemble the perfect/ideal "tremolo --> delay (with tap tempo!) --> reverb" FX Loop board (one intended to be used in the amp's effects loop, obviously; not necessarily intended to go into the front of the amp) I've settled on simply this (see photo). No, it doesn't have a Strymon anywhere in it; and no, none of them are the absolute fanciest boutique showpieces. But I can't see why this wouldn't be an absolutely stellar board. It's:
  • Simple.
  • Self-contained. (I'll have a PSA-120 w/3-way connector tucked in there.)
  • Each pedal in its own right is pretty decent. (Okay, so the TR-2 might be an Analog-Man modded one.)
Change my mind..?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Change my mind..?
nah, those make sense in a loop, i assume in a master volume amp with a crunchy preamp channel

only thing missing is a clean boost pedal for solos, since a clean boost out front would just make the preamp crunchier instead of making the amp louder. you could also use a low impedance volume pedal here, that works great as a foot-controlled master volume for the whole rig.

axehandler

Silver Supporting Member
i assume in a master volume amp with a crunchy preamp channel
Yeah, I was thinking--at least right now--to complement the Dr. Z MAZ 18 NR, which has no reverb, etc., but does have an effects loop and the new version is a true Master Volume too. The volume pedal and/or boost in the loop is an interesting idea.

Sam Xavier

LOL...

I guess it's on to the BCB-60 now, instead. I could add my MIJ CE-2, DM-2w, and maybe I'll have to find a BF-2. Whew, this is getting pricey...
Don't forget an Alexander F.13N. If you like flangers, you really will love that one. It's like a mad scientist got hold of a flanger and did things to it. :D

walterw

Yeah, I was thinking--at least right now--to complement the Dr. Z MAZ 18 NR
i thought the maz was a mostly clean amp until you just cranked it, in which case there isn’t much to be gained by using the loop.

kramm47

Silver Supporting Member
I once saw a guy put two mini pedals at angles in the upper corners of one of those. It was cool. You could probably fit your boost and one other, though now your power supply isn't enough and has to be duct taped to the side, which is less cool.

axehandler

Silver Supporting Member
i thought the maz was a mostly clean amp until you just cranked it, in which case there isn’t much to be gained by using the loop.
No, you can now bypass the EQ stack in the MAZ with a footswitch, which gains it up quite a bit. But aside from that, I use it at a "semi-dirty" preamp volume level anyway, so not entirely clean. I guess the MAZ isn't a perfect example of where to use this (normally you'd want to use the post-preamp FX loop in a high-gain situation?) but in the future it's possible I could be using this on a higher-gain amp.

walterw

I use it at a "semi-dirty" preamp volume level anyway, so not entirely clean.
Seems like it would be worth it then
normally you'd want to use the post-preamp FX loop in a high-gain situation?
Yep, that’s where you get problems with delays and reverbs sounding bad and boost pedals not making the sound louder when they’re in front of the distortion

axehandler

Silver Supporting Member
Update:

With several of y'all having convinced me that indeed the Tremolo may be best at the end of the chain (delay then reverb into tremolo)... AND contemplating spending a touch more cash... I'm now thinking maybe:

Boss DM-2w (I already have this one) >> Boss DD-200 >> Strymon Flint
All this sitting atop a Voodoo Lab Dingbat Mini with PP X4 power underneath.

Decisions, decisions. Though, I probably already know which way the TGP voices will go.

Trending Topics